Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB risk category

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will this information be on the mart boards ?? I’ve seen this speculation but nothing concrete either way.

Hard to see a benifet other than as a downward negotiation tool for stock prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dunedin wrote: »
    if I’m buying cattle privately tomorrow, can I ask to see their rating.

You can certainly ask. I wouldn't be too sure you'll get an answer.

I know I don't like it but if I'm buying a bull, it would be a question I'd be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You can certainly ask. I wouldn't be too sure you'll get an answer.
    I know I don't like it but if I'm buying a bull, it would be a question I'd be asking.

Therein lies the danger with private sales, a simple document like that can easily be altered with modern technology. Unless the information is listed on a movement cert.

_Brian wrote: »
    Will this information be on the mart boards ??

No, it's a question on one of the dept pdf's I read earlier.

Question 14, so perhaps it'll be up to the marts or sellers :confused:

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrols/tuberculosistbandbrucellosis/2TBHHRFAQs.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Even if it's not compulsory I'm sure anyone with a good status would be sure to have it announced, so a farmers silence will speak volumes.
    The whole thing is an absolute farce. What next face masks for the cows???

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

orm0nd wrote: »
    I forget the exact figures but something like 14% of the money spent on the eradication scheme is paid as compensation to the farmers.

The vets get something similar or maybe a bit more.

The rest is paid to administration and fellows thinking up sh1te like this.

Ridiculous !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Gdpr springs to mind. I can’t even access some of my accounts without giving permission to whomever I talking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

I says wrote: »
    Gdpr springs to mind. I can’t even access some of my accounts without giving permission to whomever I talking too.

And they've gone and told anyone you sold animals to over tha last 3 years, your current TB status..

Massive data breach..

Here's the number of the data controller in the dept..057 8694301..

This letter has rendered some breeding stock as valueless..

Oh....and by the way...the data controller is on hols..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is this a nail in the coffin to the current Marts system?
    Should a farmer fail to sell it effects their TB status
    Will this push for more Farm to farm/agent sales?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Isn’t the auld TB a great money spinner all the same. Vets using the same instruments for the last 40 years. And the root of the problem can’t be touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Figerty

Is this a nail in the coffin to the current Marts system?
    Should a farmer fail to sell it effects their TB status
    Will this push for more Farm to farm/agent sales?

Yes it is a factor. It's also reflecting the view that cattle can pick up a virus etc in the mart.
    Covid for cows....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

C9 here, had a animal showed a reaction to be stabbed in the neck by by a small needle with some tb in it 9 years ago, slaughtered the animal, as i dont think i had a choice, no legions...so no tb, should be c10 considering no animal ever had it here.

Think ill be refusing future reactor animals being slaughtered until i have a blood test to prove they actually have it, simple prick test isnt enough, if your a high rating larry gets stock cause you wouldnt be able to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

C9 here, had a animal showed a reaction to be stabbed in the neck by by a small needle with some tb in it 9 years ago, slaughtered the animal, as i dont think i had a choice, no legions...so no tb, should be c10 considering no animal ever had it here.

Think ill be refusing future reactor animals being slaughtered until i have a blood test to prove they actually have it, simple prick test isnt enough, if your a high rating larry gets stock cause you wouldnt be able to sell

Right there is the alarming truth of this mess..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They took 17 animals off me 2.5 years ago and got them to culture every one of them and not one came back positive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    Right there is the alarming truth of this mess..

Had 5 highly doubtful cows in 2017 at the herd test in april all fresh calvers giving 35 litres plus was strongly advised to slaughter them, didn't and they all passed on re-test, still milking all 5 cows and not so much as a speck on them lump wise at testings since, those 5 cows have probably produced over 40k's worth of milk in the intervening period, when you see men losing half a herd of cows over a year the financial cost most be crippling

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masifxx

These TB letters could have serious consequences for anyone who has had a breakdown. I Got a call this evening from a farmer I sold 2 heifers to afew years ago. he says the Department have advised him to cull them because we have had a TB breakdown. I got my letter about my own ‘status’ which is bad enough but it looks like they have told other farmers we had a breakdown and to cull bought in animals even though they have passed several tests😡 this can’t be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This doesn't pass the smell test. Farmer may have worked out from the data he got that the couple of cattle that he bought from you. The Dept didn't give him any such information or advice.

From my purchasing record and the data supplied in the letter, I could narrow in on cattle bought from a herd that had TB about 3/4 years ago. Could identify the herd possibly if I wanted to.

I may have been wrong. Seems that some are getting direction in the letter. That is obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Masifxx wrote: »
    These TB letters could have serious consequences for anyone who has had a breakdown. I Got a call this evening from a farmer I sold 2 heifers to afew years ago. he says the Department have advised him to cull them because we have had a TB breakdown. I got my letter about my own ‘status’ which is bad enough but it looks like they have told other farmers we had a breakdown and to cull bought in animals even though they have passed several tests😡 this can’t be right?

Wow.
    Wonder what’s the science behind the decision to tell people to cull animals passing herd tests. And I presume no compensation for it.

Does having these animals affect his herd status if they are not culled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Only bought in here to 're stock and and can easily figure out the figures for those farmers I bought off. Fcuking joke of a letter

Water John wrote: »
    This doesn't pass the smell test. Farmer may have worked out from the data he got that the couple of cattle that he bought from you. The Dept didn't give him any such information or advice.

From my purchasing record and the data supplied in the letter, I could narrow in on cattle bought from a herd that had TB about 3/4 years ago. Could identify the herd possibly if I wanted to.

Tag nos of affected cattle listed, all you do is look up blue card for where animal was bought and you have the source of the herd where "problem" animal came from, it will have alot of unintended consequences, any farm that was selling dairy breeding stock that has a r value of 3 our less will simply stop rearing excess replacements as no farmer will want these animals our will at a serious discount, also means tb free herds of 7 plus odd years that are closed will get a good premium for stock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We have 8 animals the dept recommended culling.

We have a further 15 high risk, and more lower risk.

The statement was dated mid July, we have sold 25 since then so I don't know the correct status.

I will gladly cull any animal they want, if they send out a valuer and we agree on appropriate compensation, otherwise they stay put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

orm0nd wrote: »
    We have 8 animals the dept recommended culling.

We have a further 15 high risk, and more lower risk.

The statement was dated mid July, we have sold 25 since then so I don't know the correct status.

I will gladly cull any animal they want, if they send out a valuer and we agree on appropriate compensation, otherwise they stay put.

That's the thing, though. They've come from a farm that has had reactors so the animals most likely to be be susceptible to TB have been culled from the farm. The animals left should, by definition, be less susceptible to TB. So by culling those animals from your herd, you could be culling the least susceptible animals in the herd.

I'd be more than willing to use only the highest rated bulls for TB resistance across my herd but it's almost impossible to find a team of bulls with the way the information is presented atm.

And still, many of us are left with reservoirs of infection on our farms that we are prohibited from dealing with and the Dept are unwilling to deal with.

These letters are just victim shaming and need to be withdrawn.

That's the thing, though. They've come from a farm that has had reactors so the animals most likely to be be susceptible to TB have been culled from the farm. The animals left should, by definition, be less susceptible to TB. So by culling those animals from your herd, you could be culling the least susceptible animals in the herd.

I'd be more than willing to use only the highest rated bulls for TB resistance across my herd but it's almost impossible to find a team of bulls with the way the information is presented atm.

And still, many of us are left with reservoirs of infection on our farms that we are prohibited from dealing with and the Dept are unwilling to deal with.

These letters are just victim shaming and need to be withdrawn.

Plenty of choice internationally for tb resistance genetics, the less said about the health traits of Irish bulls the better wasnt even a consideration up until recently

First job for the new Minister, throw this in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Draft 3

Dear member,
    The IFA President, Deputy President and Animal Health chairman will further highlight IFA’s objection to the TB Herd Risk Letters and the department of agriculture's overall approach to the TB programme in an action this evening.
    The action involves the burning of the letters on the Chairman’s farm. A video of this will be distributed on social media outlets with the hashtag #BurnIt

It is important this is distributed widely.

We would ask each committee member to take a photo or record yourself burning your letter and post it on social media.

I would ask each committee member to post this message in your county’s what’s app and encourage others to show their support by burning their letters and posting it.

Discuss with your county chair to ensure maximum impact from your county for our campaign.

In addition, IFA has submitted a formal complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner.
    Don’t forget the hashtag #BurnIt.

Thanks
    Tomas

(From the county IFA Whatsap)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have a few animals listed as "at risk". They are all cows that we bought in, one is here 7 years and another 6 years. They have passed their annual test without issue.

I wonder if any of them get TB (in the future) will DAFM refuse to compensate for those animals on the list because the farmer didn't cull them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »
    We have a few animals listed as "at risk". They are all cows that we bought in, one is here 7 years and another 6 years. They have passed their annual test without issue.

I wonder if any of them get TB (in the future) will DAFM refuse to compensate for those animals on the list because the farmer didn't cull them.

There's currently 5 neighboring herds restricted with Tb around my home farm. I've land directly beside 3 of them, of which 2 of these herd's are going to be totally depopulated. All of those herd's would have been rated C7 or better on the recent Tb status letters despite the fact that 3 of those herd's were newly restricted by the time the letters were posted.

I fully expect that the individual Tb status of each herd will be displayed on mart boards in the medium term. This will almost certainly massively devalue stock from herds with Tb breakdowns. I also believe that we will be strongly "encouraged" to cull the animals listed as high risk on the recent letters. By the same token I expect that we will be expected to only buy in stock from a herd with the same or better Tb status than our own. There will most likely be no benefit for adherence but we'll be penalized for non compliance. I would imagine that no compensation will be paid on future reacter animals that don't conform to these new "recommendations".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What way does it work in the uk? I see ads with stock from a tb4 herd etc.

Advertisement