Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

path on top of grass

Options
  • 30-08-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I have a grass section in my garden that has some pretty poor drainage - which I understand I need to fix.

However, a more immediate need is to get to my garden room at the bottom of the garden.

My intention was to dig out a path and fill with 804 and compact before putting some nice decorative stones on top for the path.

However, I am now thinking I might skip digging it out altogether and in order to keep the path above the ponding that happens - I might just make 2 side out of treated 2 x 1, putting down a layer of weed control and stones on top of the grass. The 2x1 will hopefully keep it in place and the extra few inches will mean I get to the office without wet feet !

Any down sides to this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Sounds like recipe for stone soup
    Dig out sod and topsoil at least.
    Maybe the path can help your drainage problems if planned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Maybe the path can help your drainage problems if planned

how so ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You would need 1" stone under the 804 for drainage.
    I have seen online, a type of plastic grid that's pushed into a lawn. I think it was to be used to park a car on a lawn. Might suit your need. Have a search.
    https://www.ecodeck.biz/plastic-grids/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6f-agurD6wIVj-3tCh2i3wnaEAAYASAAEgL3-PD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

RobAMerc wrote:
    how so ?

French drain

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you want to restrict the flow of water of your wet grass patch even more then put the path in. If you want to sort the problem long term, sort drainage first. then do the path. best to start thinking drainage now prior to installing a path over where the drainage needs to go.

• Advertisement

Shaunoc wrote: »
    French drain

problem is I have no soak - and the path is going across the fall - not with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A gravel path is a surprisingly large amount of effort to maintain.

Have you considered stepping stones instead? Zero maintenance and looks great.

You could sort out drainage at the same time.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-lay-stepping-stones/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Lumen wrote: »
    A gravel path is a surprisingly large amount of effort to maintain.

Have you considered stepping stones instead? Zero maintenance and looks great.

You could sort out drainage at the same time.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-lay-stepping-stones/

Yes agreed, if drainage is already an issue putting a gravel path will only make it worse. It may not help without seeing photos but has the OP considered sacrificing the lawn area? They can be hired if they didn't want to purchase one.

I've used natural flat stone for my stepping stone path (lucky I've an abundance of it were I live, very easy to lay and if level, can run mower over them with ease.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

is 804 the wrong stuff to use in making a french drain do ye know ?

If you can't get surface water away from your site, then you'll need to dig a soak pit. Where does the chute water go?
    804 is the wrong stuff. That's for compaction, the opposite. Free draining would be 1 inch or 2 inch stone. I usually cover it with Terram so that the soil doesn't mix in, before refilling a drain. If you've very poor drainage you may need to bring stone all the way to the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't 804 designed to compact ? So that's not going to do much to disapate water ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

RobAMerc wrote: »
    is 804 the wrong stuff to use in making a french drain do ye know ?

Yeah, you want pea gravel that has spaces to allow the water to drain.

If you want a gravel finish, have you looked at something like this?
    https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/85778/is-this-gravel-stabilizing-underlament-an-effective-product

so not being one to sit about doing nothing .......

I dug a drain trench ( not deep enough yet ) and a 1m by 600mm pit at the lowest point in the garden.
    The trench goes as close to the base of an Apple tree as I can without dealing with a huge amount of roots - (there is enough there already) but I think it goes close enough to the worst area of the lawn.

I have bought these storage crates below. My intention is to tie wrap them together in 2s to create 3 chambers - which I will wrap in weed control. I will bury these in my pit which I hope is large enough to take a large portion of the water from the garden.

I have also traced my rain water down pipes and realised the water from the front of the house does not exit into a gully and instead exits at the top of the garden - I presume a lot of this water is making its way down the garden to add to this issue.

I will re-route this into a gully - twill be ugly but ......

MjhkMDViZGIxOTgxMTUyZTczMzk3OWRjODVjNTIwZTPBZcw5V3qrp51ICQcG4b_EaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNDhkMzZlZTc5ZTRhMTg1ZWUyNDk5ZWU2YWVlMGRjNzY4NDFmNWMzMzJjMWEyMDBiMzEwMjBmZWU3ZDE0OGRjOS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjIzfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Yes as poster above said pea gravel in the trench and the pit needs stone.
    800mm depth is the usual for a percolation test and should do this job too.
    You don't hang around.

can I ask why the pit needs stone if I have the crates to create a cavity for the water ?

Sorry it should work. Just I'm used to stone soak pits for run off and grey water.

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry it should work. Just I'm used to stone soak pits for run off and grey water.

I would happily put stone in but for having to go get it and lug it in. I presume the lack of stones means more capacity for water.

Yeah, that hole will hold around 100 gallons/450 litres of water.
    Diverting the roof water will be a great help.

The cavity crates would be a trip fall hazard. You should use the stone tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

forget stones put cement tiles down on top of grass

• Advertisement

Just get the stone delivered and barrow it into the hole.

Digging the hole is the hard bit. Filling it is easy.

does anyone know where to buy perforated drainage pipe in south Dublin ?
    I am struggling to find someone who stocks it - I imagined it would be way easier

does anyone know where to buy perforated drainage pipe in south Dublin ?
    I am struggling to find someone who stocks it - I imagined it would be way easier

https://www.landscapedepot.ie/product/yellow-perforated-drainage-pipe/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Lumen wrote: »
    Just get the stone delivered and barrow it into the hole.

Digging the hole is the hard bit. Filling it is easy.

Why would you dig a hole, barrow all the waste away and dispose it,
    only to buy stones ,barrow them in and fill the hole .
    I don't know the void ratio but I'd say a thousand litre hole filled with 20mm. stones
    would become an 200 litre hole, or less.

Drainage pipe;
    4in. underground waste pipe with slots cut across the top and 3/4 way down
    alternate sides about 4 ins. apart laid with the solid strip down,pea shingle,
    memblane and topsoil.

Path;
    Resin bonded shingle, (Diy pack) on sound base laid to same level as lawn.

Then, after breakfast sit back and appreciate your handiwork!

Why would you dig a hole, barrow all the waste away and dispose it,
    only to buy stones ,barrow them in and fill the hole .
    Soak pit wasn't my idea. :)

I'm just saying: if you want a soak pit, do it properly with stone not crates.

You never know what someone is going to put on top in future. If you create an underground pit with crates, and then someone builds a treehouse on top....

worryingly - as I look out this morning, my soak pit hole is full and that bit of the garden is like a swimming pool !

I am beginning to think I may need to route the water back up the garden to the house drainage system.

I think a sump pump would be the only option though

worryingly - as I look out this morning, my soak pit hole is full and that bit of the garden is like a swimming pool !

I am beginning to think I may need to route the water back up the garden to the house drainage system.

I think a sump pump would be the only option though

Heavy enough rain this morning , but not like absolute torrential. Just consistent.

Its a good guide thought for what your trying to deal with. I think id start with getting the lie of the land (Fall)

multiple drainage intake pipes into a feed to the drainage system though is the most sensible option. Like a E shaped pattern if that makes sense ?

its been torrential here in D16 !

As you can see I started the trench below the tree

The whole garden falls slightly left and down towards the hole in the left top of this picture - (Hard to see the hole I know but its at the bottom of the palm)

525041.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP how big is your garden, is fixing the general fall of the garden an option, to at least stop pooling?
    Are you surrounded by neighbours or what is outside of the garden area?

I've had torrential rain this morning, so I wouldnt use that as a normal test, but it will be interesting to see how quickly it drains for you.

• Advertisement

Elevated path. Make a feature of it!

Advertisement