Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden is very muddy

Options
  • 10-02-2018 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Went out into the garden today for the first time in a while.
    Its very muddy underfoot and there is obviously a lot of water being held in it, there was some flooding in a spot or two when it was very wet there over the winter.

What would be the solution here ?

Rotovate and add a lot of sand and compost?

I could dig a few trenches and french drains but when I dug a hole the water isnt getting down through the top course at all ( although it filled in with water fairly quickly.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I wouldn’t panic at it being wet this time of year after such a sustained spell of wet weather.
    How was it over the summer gone by ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

IT's just the wet winter we have had. I have no drainage problems but the garden is lie a quagmire at the moment. Try to keep off it when it's in this condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't add sand to poorly draining soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It was dry on Sunday 7th, Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th January - that was the only 3 day dry spell since October.

I'm rural and whilst I'm in a boggy area, the ground is the wettest I've seen since I moved here 15 years ago

According to ME, Casement Aerodrome (nearest to me) got 293mm of rain in Oct-Jan, which is bang on average (295mm).

Last year that period had 159mm. Year before was 443mm.

So maybe perceptions are skewed by one dry winter.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=3723

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't add sand to poorly draining soil.

Why, I thought sand and organic material were the best things to break up the mud.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Why, I thought sand and organic material were the best things to break up the mud.
    Clay particles fill the voids between sand grains and can produce something like concrete.

That's the theory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lumen wrote: »
    According to ME, Casement Aerodrome (nearest to me) got 293mm of rain in Oct-Jan, which is bang on average (295mm).

Last year that period had 159mm. Year before was 443mm.

So maybe perceptions are skewed by one dry winter.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=3723

It's nothing to do with annualised average rainfall. Look at the levels for Sept 17 to date compared with that period in previous years. The ground has been saturated since early November. Perceptions are not the factor, actual conditions under foot and water table levels are factual and it is undoubtedly true that the ground is water logged at the moment. The river levels here are at a 7 year high for the time of year and that has been the trend since September.

It's nothing to do with annualised average rainfall. Look at the levels for Sept 17 to date compared with that period in previous years.
    That's what I was doing, except starting in October. :D

I wasn't quoting annual averages.

Advertisement