Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we care about American politics?

Options
  • 30-08-2020 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

This might seem like an odd question but im starting to see more and more interest in American politics here. Whether its the BLM, anti immigrant propaganda or pro/anti trump, people are constantly talking about American politics it didn't used to be like this. America is clearly in a hot mess right now probably best for us to stay clear. Why should we care about their political system when they clearly couldnt care less about ours?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

For the same reason people watch The West Wing or House of Cards. American politics is a crazy political reality TV show and I find it massively entertaining. The fact that I've no horse in the race definitely helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Irish politics are boring. The latest scandal is a f*cking golfing event.

Meanwhile America has riots, conspiracies, violence etc etc

Irish politics are boring. The latest scandal is a f*cking golfing event.

Meanwhile America has riots, conspiracies, violence etc etc

Exactly, there's just so much more going on. British poltics has been fun too recently, especially the brexit drama in the house of commons.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Because most people here can't speak French, German, Spanish etc. English however, we can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Yeah I can understand people finding it entertaining but others seem to take it seriously.

• Advertisement

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Yeah I can understand people finding it entertaining but others seem to take it seriously.

There are a few Americans who post here and also a few Irish who are living over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Because we live in a globalized economy, many people working here, work for American companies, a lot of the culture we consume is US culture...and the US is in the middle of a culture war at the moment which is impacting our society or culture.

Ignoring US or European politics is no longer an option for us.

Because we live in a globalized economy, many people working here, work for American companies, a lot of the culture we consume is US culture...and the US is in the middle of a culture war at the moment which is impacting our society or culture.

Ignoring US or European politics is no longer an option for us.

Yeah I get that like my sister works for an American company remotely but that doesnt make her wear BLM shirts or MAGA hats (which I have seen multiple people wear). The problem isnt just being aware of their political system but us trying to imitate it. We have never been as polarised a society as the americans and their system would not suit us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yeah I get that like my sister works for an American company remotely but that doesnt make her wear BLM shirts or MAGA hats (which I have seen multiple people wear). The problem isnt just being aware of their political system but us trying to imitate it. We have never been as polarised a society as the americans and their system would not suit us at all.

It's actually interesting in that another 4 years of America First policy cannot be good for us here, from an FDI point of view, we depend heavily on that pipeline to sustain our employment levels.

But on here, that isn't even mentioned that I can see, it seems to be much deeper emotive positions which I think is a reflection of where we are consuming our news content and the platforms we consume that content on.

I think here in the Anglosphere in particular there seems to be a deeper inflection point, in culture, media and academia, which the two party system in the US and UK are well used to, they seem to go through that every few decades, this one seems to have a lot more hysteria that is encroaching on us here in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

There are zero reasons why Ireland should be holding BLM protests. Anyone trying to claim that there is a history of institutional racism in the Gardai needs a sledgehammer across the face, repeatably. My guess is that Twitter trends have a lot to do with it. The Irish woke crowd don't want to feel left out and would never miss an opportunity for a photoshoot.

• Advertisement

OP,

Trump... lets bring all the US companies abroad back to the US.

Biden... not such an issue.

Yeah, no impact on us at all.

OP,

Trump... lets bring all the US companies abroad back to the US.

Biden... not such an issue.

Yeah, no impact on us at all.
    Bring all US companies back to the US? How is that even feasible. What is he going to do start his own sweat shops in new york? I think its fair to say Trump is unlikely to follow through with that just like a bunch of other false promises he has made. Its time for us to ignore their circus act of a political system and just focus on our selves.

Bring all US companies back to the US? How is that even feasible. What is he going to do start his own sweat shops in new york? I think its fair to say Trump is unlikely to follow through with that just like a bunch of other false promises he has made. Its time for us to ignore their circus act of a political system and just focus on our selves.

I have enough brain capacity to be engaged in Irish and American politics simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Biggest issues are kids are been brainwashed and sound more American every day....
    Antifa is full of absolute nut jobs with brains not developed past 7 and that's an insult to 7 years which I do apologize for....

BLM is pure racist and more about their own agenda and gains.... They actually have caused more harm then good and the worst part is this is brushing off on other countries even here where things could go wrong very fast.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I have enough brain capacity to be engaged in Irish and American politics simultaneously.

I never said you didnt. Dont understand the point of this comment.

Biggest issues are kids are been brainwashed and sound more American every day....
    Antifa is full of absolute nut jobs with brains not developed past 7 and that's an insult to 7 years which I do apologize for....

BLM is pure racist and more about their own agenda and gains.... They actually have caused more harm then good and the worst part is this is brushing off on other countries even here where things could go wrong very fast.
    BLM is an international movement now and yes we in Ireland dont really have any grounds to say there has been or is institutionalised racism since so few here are black but calling them a racist organisation requires some mental gymnastics to say the least.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

coinop wrote: »
    There are zero reasons why Ireland should be holding BLM protests. Anyone trying to claim that there is a history of institutional racism in the Gardai needs a sledgehammer across the face, repeatably. My guess is that Twitter trends have a lot to do with it. The Irish woke crowd don't want to feel left out and would never miss an opportunity for a photoshoot.

A rare accurate post on this pile of bile site. Expect a warning or an intimidating infraction from the mods/rockers shortly though for not going with the grain.

A rare accurate post on this pile of bile site. Expect a warning or an intimidating infraction from the mods/rockers shortly though for not going with the grain.

not going with the grain? Boards.ie is known for being a pro-conservative website.

BLM is an international movement now and yes we in Ireland dont really have any grounds to say there has been or is institutionalised racism since so few here are black but calling them a racist organisation requires some mental gymnastics to say the least.

It really doesn't. They are fighting the perceived injustice of racism with even more racism. Read both sides of the leaflet.

not going with the grain? Boards.ie is known for being a pro-conservative website.

Of course it is. It was on Sky News the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I don't care about it in the slightest.

I just wanted you all to know that.

Carry on.

Of course it is. It was on Sky News the other day.

I have no idea what that means. But if I was a mod I'd moderate you for trying to turn this into a BLM thread when theres already a huge one dedicated to it.

I have no idea what that means. But if I was a mod I'd moderate you for trying to turn this into a BLM thread when theres already a huge one dedicated to it.

What on earth difference does it make to you whats spoken about on what thread. You're all so weirdly uptight about stuff like that. Regardless, it is a part of American politics.

What on earth difference does it make to you whats spoken about on what thread. You're all so weirdly uptight about stuff like that. Regardless, it is a part of American politics.

Why are you obsessed about American politics in a thread insulting people who are obsessed with American politics?

Do people really have this little self awareness?

It really doesn't. They are fighting the perceived injustice of racism with even more racism. Read both sides of the leaflet.
    Im not going to turn this into a BLM debate you have your opinion on it and I have mine but I think it is important to note that your attitude towards the BLM movement is exactly the point I was trying to make with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MadYaker wrote: »
    For the same reason people watch The West Wing or House of Cards. American politics is a crazy political reality TV show and I find it massively entertaining. The fact that I've no horse in the race definitely helps.

Absolutely, it's like watching a slow moving tragic car crash at the moment.
    I would hate it to affect me

Antifa are absolutely crazy loopers.... BLM followers the same.... The three women founders have got more blacks killed then any other movement... Society suffers and communities destroyed and burned to the ground.

Watch this and see how BLM sees the world and whites.

The BLM is a political group not an individual. What exactly was the point of you posting that video? I agree the BLM doesnt really have much grounds to protest here and tbf the protests have been conducted by a fairly small minority. In America is a different story just chill out and be glad your not over there.

• Advertisement

The BLM is a political group not an individual. What exactly was the point of you posting that video? I agree the BLM doesnt really have much grounds to protest here and tbf the protests have been conducted by a fairly small minority. In America is a different story just chill out and be glad your not over there.
    Watch it. Obviously you haven't as you comment after 4 minutes of me posting it.

It's a group founded by her and 2 other women..... They've got more black men killed due to their madness.

Advertisement