Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right of way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sounds like a dodgy excuse. A case of thinking it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. A few branches don't obstruct broadband...

You could technically get in trouble yourself for those trees having been cut down

In full leaf they do. Wireless internet providers need clear unobstructed line of sight to their mast. I've had to trim back trees where they incroached LoS and the difference in connection quality was night and day.

The idea that you could get in trouble for cutting down a few branches is ridiculous. The ESB and Eir wouldn't be able to operate in this country if that was the case.

Sure, he shouldn't have gone ahead and trimmed them back but it's it were my trees the way I'd approach it is how has this injured me. Would you have denied the person to make the clearing if you'd been asked in advance? If the boundary is still stock proof, fences undamaged and the only real issue is a few branches in the hedge then all I'd be really asking them is to take the branches away if they were in my way, and to ask in future. I wouldn't be going making enemies out of him or scaring him with nursery bills.

You might not need the neighbor now and you might not foresee a reason in future to need him, but say, for example, your animals break into his lawn and make ****e of it. Would you really want this incident of how you were unreasonable to colour his judgement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

In full leaf they do. Wireless internet providers need clear unobstructed line of sight to their mast. I've had to trim back trees where they incroached LoS and the difference in connection quality was night and day.

The idea that you could get in trouble for cutting down a few branches is ridiculous. The ESB and Eir wouldn't be able to operate in this country if that was the case.

Sure, he shouldn't have gone ahead and trimmed them back but it's it were my trees the way I'd approach it is how has this injured me. Would you have denied the person to make the clearing if you'd been asked in advance? If the boundary is still stock proof, fences undamaged and the only real issue is a few branches in the hedge then all I'd be really asking them is to take the branches away if they were in my way, and to ask in future. I wouldn't be going making enemies out of him or scaring him with nursery bills.

You might not need the neighbor now and you might not foresee a reason in future to need him, but say, for example, your animals break into his lawn and make ****e of it. Would you really want this incident of how you were unreasonable to colour his judgement?

while agree with you that its only a few bushes and no real loss to the op . its the principle and total disrespect that the new neighbour has shown for the op that is the issue. im sure the op would have helped out the neighbour if they were asked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Base price wrote: »
    I was wondering how planning permission was granted if there was no right of way.

Right of way or ownership of the site for.that.matter is not an issue for the planners.access to the road is only considered from a road safety point of view. Banks are usually the people that look for R O W to be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Tileman

K.G. wrote: »
    Right of way or ownership of the site for.that.matter is not an issue for the planners.access to the road is only considered from a road safety point of view. Banks are usually the people that look for R O W to be sorted

I had to show on my planning application a copy of the written row.
    Agree banks in particular would not let the mortgage be drawn down without all of that completely sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I’d advise you to try not to fall out with your neighbours. You can however let them know in no uncertain terms that the road is yours and that any users will be treated in a fair way. You need to be clever and stamp your authority in a nice way.
    I would certainly touch base with your solicitor and also perhaps an auctioneer to get a value on the difference between a property with and without a right of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Base price wrote: »
    I was wondering how planning permission was granted if there was no right of way.

How did ownership of the house change without the ROW becoming an issue ?
    Why was the OP not consulted at the time of the sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Tileman wrote: »
    I had to show on my planning application a copy of the written row.
    Agree banks in particular would not let the mortgage be drawn down without all of that completely sorted.
    All you have to do is get a letter from your solicitor saying there is a ROW and give it the planning department.

If you say to your solicitor I been using the road for 20+ years they will write you a letter saying there is a ROW. Does not mean there is a ROW as you could have lied.

Bottom line is just because you get a planning permission
    grant for something does not mean you have the legal right to do what was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ittakestwo wrote: »
    All you have to do is get a letter from your solicitor saying there is a ROW and give it the planning department.

If you say to your solicitor I been using the road for 20+ years they will write you a letter saying there is a ROW. Does not mean there is a ROW as you could have lied.

grant for something does not mean you have the legal right to do what was granted.
    Yep planning people dont need to verify such details as you still need the legal right to do something even if planning in place. If you get planning having told lies about site access, all you have is an expensive bit of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

ladyfarmer wrote: »
    Here goes! I own a road, but 4 houses have a right of way over said road. I am in the process of giving a written right of ways to 3 of these houses. Anyway, this evening I went to check on my land to find a load of branches cut on one side of the road and thrown over the ditch on opposite side, also a tree had been cut, and left fall into my field. The field is at least 6ft lower than road, opposite side is higher. Even the post for gate, a sally, which was used for tying gate had been cut down to about 4 inches above rope used for tying. I did not check on land last week due to me being away.
    Road was in no way too narrow for a car as I drive a jeep and I've never scratched my jeep.
    I hope I'm making sense? Is there anyone that has any experience of this?

I am thinking you are not giving the written right of way may be part of the problem?
    Do not sign anything until this is resolved, ie make it their problem.
    I expect they all have established rights to pass and you have only signed rights to the people who asked.
    The law is changing on this now but the old rights are there if you sign or not.
    Its a couple of years ago since i read about this that all rights need be recorded but if are used on regular basis need not be.
    you may be the victim but you may also be pare of the cause... SORRY..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

He needs to hitch up his car trailer and move and dispose what was cut. Having blocked broadband connection due to bushes obstructing signal gives no one the authority to dump clippings on someone else's property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No offense, but that seems a bit naive to be fair.

The story is that the person bought the house. Had his buddy over on Friday to cut branches, and also a few trees, due to "broadband issues". Then moved into the house on Saturday and spent his first night there.

What is more likely is that he just didn't like the trees there and decided that, after buying the house and spending his money, he was going to remove them regardless of who owned them.

He needs to hitch up his car trailer and move and dispose what was cut. Having blocked broadband connection due to bushes obstructing signal gives no one the authority to dump clippings on someone else's property

I agree but though i am in agreement with the OP it is strange they have agreed with 3 of the houses and not with one house.

I am confident we will be told.
    Bushes have little effect on mobile broadband as its airbourne.now a broadleaf forest be different.
    AFAIK the rule with clippings is we can clip what is growing into our property from another persons property.
    The cuttings need to be left on the property of where the bush/tree is planted.
    Even though i agree with you i expect these people know this.
    I think the OP needs to start thinking that all 4 property have same rights...

I agree but though i am in agreement with the OP it is strange they have agreed with 3 of the houses and not with one house.

Bushes have little effect on mobile broadband as its airbourne.now a broadleaf forest be different.
    AFAIK the rule with clippings is we can clip what is growing into our property from another persons property.
    The cuttings need to be left on the property of where the bush/tree is planted.
    Even though i agree with you i expect these people know this.

That’s some leap.

That’s some leap.

What does that mean?

What does that mean?

Whatever you’re insinuating with your last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's clear they have a right of way sighned or not, so the issue is with bushes been cut no judge or guard is going to entertain that case, silly argument over a Bush, now they have been people killed over a hedge in the past so be careful out there guys people are getting very narkey out there with lock down and wouldn't take much to get them going so a hand shake is better than a closed fist right now.

You tell me the sentance as the last sentance i wrote before your reply as i don not know what you asking.
    I think it was.... what does that mean?

kerryjack wrote: »
    It's clear they have a right of way sighned or not, so the issue is with bushes been cut no judge or guard is going to entertain that case, silly argument over a Bush, now they have been people killed over a hedge in the past so be careful out there guys people are getting very narkey out there with lock down and wouldn't take much to get them going so a hand shake is better than a closed fist right now.

I agree but the person said in OP post was signing off on 3 and they said there 4 properties i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Blah blah
    blah..
    That’s some leap.
    What does that mean?
    You tell me the sentance as the last sentance i wrote before your reply as i don not know what you asking.
    I think it was.... what does that mean?
    Your last sentence was not " what does that mean"
    It was this assumption; "I think the OP needs to start thinking that all 4 property have same rights..."

Here goes! I own a road, but 4 houses have a right of way over said road. I am in the process of giving a written right of ways to 3 of these houses...

This is what was written in OP post, you can decide what you think.

Your right that is some leap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Tileman

ittakestwo wrote: »

Your probably right. I must have met an awakened planner or one going their job. But I had to show the document with it recording on the other persons deeds.

Tileman wrote: »
    Your probably right. I must have met an awakened planner or one going their job. But I had to show the document with it recording on the other persons deeds.

Interesting. This seems odd to me as it estimated that over 80% of ROWs in Ireland are prescribed ROWs (ie no deed exists but are claimed from long user)

It would be very restrictive by a planning department to insist that the ROW has to be registered. In fact I dont think they can and if challenged perhaps would have to drop that request.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

How can they have a ROW “ signed or not “ ?
    If I am interpreting what has been said so far correctly , the OP is Only now engaging with the householders with regard to the ROW . If this is the only engagement between them , then how can it exist without OPs agreement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Why are you signing anything?
    If they have one they have one.
    If they dont they dont.
    If you're giving it up to them dont be surprised what comes with that, like people thinking they own the place.
    If there selling thats their problem.
    If youre just being nice fair play i guess but what are you getting out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I hate these treads that put up half a story and than don't reply or mods usually close because it's like a hot topic. plenty of us out there that use a right of way or has a lane that other people use and has a right of way. But like 4 houses built up a lane that has only a right of way like that's off the charts, mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It's well I know I could get into trouble as I live in an area of conservation, plus I draw farm grants! Thank God they didn't cut any of the oak trees, only branches!

I'd disappear someone in a boghole if they cut an oak of mine down. And we've 2. (edit: I'd have to get let out on good behaviour to sort the second gobsh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Bushes have little effect on mobile broadband as its airbourne.now ....

Like the virus?

GNWoodd wrote: »
    How can they have a ROW “ signed or not “ ?
    If I am interpreting what has been said so far correctly , the OP is Only now engaging with the householders with regard to the ROW . If this is the only engagement between them , then how can it exist without OPs agreement ?
    The way I am interpreting is that the 4 houses had prescribed ROWs ( ROW from long user) over the laneway and are now in the process of getting it registered on their titles

Yes I agree! I did post a few minutes ago but I might not have did it properly. I'm contacting my solicitor in the morning! Thank God I was only in the process of doing written right of ways and that I had nothing signed!

Ladyfarmer,

I made a few comments earlier but it was only later i read kinda through.
    I would leave solicitor for a few days and ask a friend for opinions from here.
    There is you and 4 other properties here so compromise will have to happen, solicitors are not good at that (no money)
    I am thinking if you can get a nuetral person to talk to all persons be better option as you have a problem and so has another so you need to resolve.
    You said you get payments and it may be your planner or a pretty solid neighbor be better than lawyer.
    I know that farm grants are based on hedge along road maintainence but in your case may be different.

I try to think of difficulty as opportunity to put things right long term, there no point in making issue of branches in field as thats done and going leagal with that waste of time.
    Think about for day or two and try and get resolved long term.
    If there are 4 houses on the road i expect the maintainence of road should be council, i would expect this would add considerably to value of all property on road.

Just be carful with going legal.
    regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No offense, but that seems a bit naive to be fair.

The story is that the person bought the house. Had his buddy over on Friday to cut branches, and also a few trees, due to "broadband issues". Then moved into the house on Saturday and spent his first night there.

What is more likely is that he just didn't like the trees there and decided that, after buying the house and spending his money, he was going to remove them regardless of who owned them.

The OP is a bit thin on details but it would be straightforward to determine if his excuse was credible. i.e. that the felled branches were between the broadband antenna on the property and the WISP mast. If not we'll then maybe you're right and that it's just an ignorant person taking liberties.

But assuming that the house owner is telling the truth I'd tend to assume that people often do things out of ignorance and stupidity rather than malice. People are not always out to take advantage. If the OP wants to show that s/he's not a pushover then a friendly chat with him about that if he needs bushes trimmed for his internet that are in the farmers property then the farmers permission must be sought. Good manners should dictate it but the spurious reason of some environmental programme could also be given.

Going out all letters, bills and lawyers at dawn like some here have stupidly advised you is a recipe for making enemies.
    And an enemy that has a house adjoining your property is not a good thing to have.

Advertisement