Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right of way

Options
  • 30-08-2020 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Here goes! I own a road, but 4 houses have a right of way over said road. I am in the process of giving a written right of ways to 3 of these houses. Anyway, this evening I went to check on my land to find a load of branches cut on one side of the road and thrown over the ditch on opposite side, also a tree had been cut, and left fall into my field. The field is at least 6ft lower than road, opposite side is higher. Even the post for gate, a sally, which was used for tying gate had been cut down to about 4 inches above rope used for tying. I did not check on land last week due to me being away.
    Road was in no way too narrow for a car as I drive a jeep and I've never scratched my jeep.
    I hope I'm making sense? Is there anyone that has any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ladyfarmer wrote: »
    Here goes! I own a road, but 4 houses have a right of way over said road. I am in the process of giving a written right of ways to 3 of these houses. Anyway, this evening I went to check on my land to find a load of branches cut on one side of the road and thrown over the ditch on opposite side, also a tree had been cut, and left fall into my field. The field is at least 6ft lower than road, opposite side is higher. Even the post for gate, a sally, which was used for tying gate had been cut down to about 4 inches above rope used for tying. I did not check on land last week due to me being away.
    Road was in no way too narrow for a car as I drive a jeep and I've never scratched my jeep.

What exactly is the problem? Doors it really matter if the hedge was trimmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What exactly is the problem? Doors it really matter if the hedge was trimmed?

People given an inch will take a mile.
    Its ****ty behaviour to cut trees belonging to someone else and even worse to throw the cuttings onto land.
    Id be pretty pissed.
    Of course its possible we are not getting the full storey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ladyfarmer

mickdw wrote: »
    People given an inch will take a mile.
    Its ****ty behaviour to cut trees belonging to someone else and even worse to throw the cuttings onto land.
    Id be pretty pissed.
    Of course its possible we are not getting the full storey.

That is full story. I gave all the details, it's a stone ditch with various trees growing along it, mainly holly and sally, with the odd oak in from ditch. It's not what I'd call a hedge?
    Only info I forgot to mention is the following. Nobody lives in any of the houses on a permanent basis but the three I'm giving a written right of way for are for sale. I've no problem whatsoever giving the written right of way but I'm well p...ed off that these branches and even a tree were cut without even asking my permission. I live in same townland but at other end of it. It's not a tarred road, just has two stripes of concrete? I'm probably just over reacting, but I posted for advice, not comments about I not giving the full story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Well you cant cut somebody's tree down. That is your property.

So unless specified in the deed. The ROW will be presumed to have the capacity it had at the date of the deed. So if you granted your neighbours a ROW at the time the road had a passable width of 6ft. Then it will be the capacity of the ROW had 6ft. So the grantee( your neighbours) cant come along and cut your hedges so a 9ft wide vehicle can fit on and justify this on that they have a ROW over the road. If you also had gates at the time of the deed then they cant remove it on the basis its impeding thier ROW. They also cant develop a ROW. So if it had just two concrete strips for vehicles at the time of the deed then they cant come along and resurface the full width to tarmac etc.

Better of not bringing in solicitors at this stage and just informing the culprit that you dont want your road changed and not to cut down your trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Someone leasing /letting land from you can 'possibly' cut a hedge that actually includes Sally , ash, whitethorn, blackthorn but not oak.
    Someone with no such rights clearly cannot.

I had a neighbour who abused his rights as a conacre tenant and cut ditches to the base. Specifically not permitted to do so. But looking after his BIL Bollicky Bill with his upgraded stove.
    As the saying goes, don't f*CK with a f*cker. I love trees and wildlife. I went down 2 nights in a row and took away all his hard chainsawing (of our trees on land going back 5 generations) and left a few glaring bits of evidence dragged and dropped towards the house of another Bollicky Bill. Job done.
    Oh, and we upped his rent by 20% and kept it there since.
    The world is full of Bollicky Bills. You've given ROW, decently, and now they think THEY own it.

Mark their cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭893bet

Any chance they had fallen or started to fall in the storm and then were chainsawed?

Seems more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

893bet wrote: »
    Any chance they had fallen or started to fall in the storm and then were chainsawed?

Seems more likely?

I agree, it would seem a particularly aggressive thing to cut a tree and leave it fall into your land breaking fencing etc..

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I agree, it would seem a particularly aggressive thing to cut a tree and leave it fall into your land breaking fencing etc..

No way had it anything to do with the storm, it's an extremely sheltered place. Tree fell into field but didn't damage ditch as it was just inside the ditch, branches were cut off other trees and must have been lifted over opposite ditch. The biggest mystery is the gate post? It's cut down to a few inches above rope.
    I do know 3 out of the 4 houses are either for sale or going up for sale, so all I can think of is that it has something to do with that?
    I'm going to call to all the houses today, and see if anyone is staying in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ask for your written letters to be returned?
    Also call the gardai to report the criminal damage.

These houses are for sale...they dont want you as a good neighbour so dont be one to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tbh, I'd be withholding any written consent for a right of way until the person who cut the tree came and apologised and supplied a replacement tree for the one cut down and similar for the trees he cut branches off.

Leaving aside the regulations against cutting trees and hedging at this time of year, I think you need to put your foot down to stop similar happening in the future. I would be contacting my solicitor and making sure your rights to not have your property damaged are fully protected and restored before I would give even an inch of a right of way signed over.

ganmo wrote: »

These houses are for sale...they dont want you as a good neighbour so dont be one to them

Mystery solved! It actually would be laughable only I'm so cross! I know it might seem minor to some people, but I am born and reared in this place and my family are here for generations, and farmed the place for well over 200 years and have not made much of an impact in the area!
    Anyway, it turns out that one house has been bought by a man that has lived locally for about 15 years. He works from home, IT? Last night was his first night sleeping in the house! Some branches were obstructing his broadband and he asked a friend to cut them down? This was done on Friday morning. It seems it never dawned on him to go to any of the houses near him to ask who owned the field? Anyone of them would have given him my number. The friend seems to have got carried away with his new toy, they had to buy a chainsaw to do the cutting!
    He now has a very annoyed neighbour, who happens to be a farmer, who uses this road pretty regularly to move cattle!
    Thank you all so much for your advice! Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Mystery solved! It actually would be laughable only I'm so cross! I know it might seem minor to some people, but I am born and reared in this place and my family are here for generations, and farmed the place for well over 200 years and have not made much of an impact in the area!
    Anyway, it turns out that one house has been bought by a man that has lived locally for about 15 years. He works from home, IT? Last night was his first night sleeping in the house! Some branches were obstructing his broadband and he asked a friend to cut them down? This was done on Friday morning. It seems it never dawned on him to go to any of the houses near him to ask who owned the field? Anyone of them would have given him my number. The friend seems to have got carried away with his new toy, they had to buy a chainsaw to do the cutting!
    He now has a very annoyed neighbour, who happens to be a farmer, who uses this road pretty regularly to move cattle!

Thats mad. I wouldn't like to let that lad log onto my computer. I'm sure the trees had nothing to do with his broadband connection other than if he had a line of sight problem but he'd need to be using microwave which I wouldn't think he would be. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sounds like a dodgy excuse. A case of thinking it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. A few branches don't obstruct broadband...

You could technically get in trouble yourself for those trees having been cut down

Tbh, I'd be withholding any written consent for a right of way until the person who cut the tree came and apologised and supplied a replacement tree for the one cut down and similar for the trees he cut branches off.

Leaving aside the regulations against cutting trees and hedging at this time of year, I think you need to put your foot down to stop similar happening in the future. I would be contacting my solicitor and making sure your rights to not have your property damaged are fully protected and restored before I would give even an inch of a right of way signed over.

Yes I agree! I did post a few minutes ago but I might not have did it properly. I'm contacting my solicitor in the morning! Thank God I was only in the process of doing written right of ways and that I had nothing signed!

Sounds like a dodgy excuse. A case of thinking it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. A few branches don't obstruct broadband...

You could technically get in trouble yourself for those trees having been cut down

It's well I know I could get into trouble as I live in an area of conservation, plus I draw farm grants! Thank God they didn't cut any of the oak trees, only branches!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Well you cant cut somebody's tree down. That is your property.

So unless specified in the deed. The ROW will be presumed to have the capacity it had at the date of the deed. So if you granted your neighbours a ROW at the time the road had a passable width of 6ft. Then it will be the capacity of the ROW had 6ft. So the grantee( your neighbours) cant come along and cut your hedges so a 9ft wide vehicle can fit on and justify this on that they have a ROW over the road. If you also had gates at the time of the deed then they cant remove it on the basis its impeding thier ROW. They also cant develop a ROW. So if it had just two concrete strips for vehicles at the time of the deed then they cant come along and resurface the full width to tarmac etc.

Better of not bringing in solicitors at this stage and just informing the culprit that you dont want your road changed and not to cut down your trees.

An she include those stipulations in the written row?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'd call a few tree nurseries, get quotes of a replacement (mature) tree, in writing.
    Call into your neighbour with the price and watch his face drop itll be in the thousands

Well they got their wish!

I'd call a few tree nurseries, get quotes of a replacement (mature) tree, in writing.
    Call into your neighbour with the price and watch his face drop itll be in the thousands

I never thought of that! Thank you!

• Advertisement

I hope he's replacing the trees

An she include those stipulations in the written row?

I haven't actually signed off on written right of way yet, thank God! It has been going back and forth with months, and then with lock down, everything stopped.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Thats mad. I wouldn't like to let that lad log onto my computer. I'm sure the trees had nothing to do with his broadband connection other than if he had a line of sight problem but he'd need to be using microwave which I wouldn't think he would be. Madness.

I think it was just to make the area coming up to his gate more 'pretty'? Maybe more open, there would be very little daylight on this section of road. It's all oak trees, really old plus holly, sally and elder.

I think it was just to make the area coming up to his gate more 'pretty'? Maybe more open, there would be very little daylight on this section of road. It's all oak trees, really old plus holly, sally and elder.

If he bought the house, he bought it as it was with trees in situ. Make him replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭893bet

Can you post an image of the damage?

I struggle to think that a couple of lads that actually had to buy a chainsaw would be capable of knocking down anything huge.

Mystery is solved so get it resolved is the next thing. Work with the neighbour. Not against him though would be my advice. And def get it written it it he right of way that pruning of the passageway and entry into the fields is not permitted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What's this written right of way about, how long are houses in that road. Is there another way in, it seems a bit mad to me, I think you are making trouble for yourself it could end up 4 against 1, could make a lot of trouble for you down the line.

893bet wrote: »
    Can you post an image of the damage?

I struggle to think that a couple of lads that actually had to buy a chainsaw would be capable of knocking down anything huge.

Mystery is solved so get it resolved is the next thing. Work with the neighbour. Not against him though would be my advice. And def get it written it it he right of way that pruning of the passageway and entry into the fields is not permitted etc.

The neighbour has already worked against them so it should be all about looking after yourself from here on. You don’t need to be submissive to neighbours to get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

kerryjack wrote: »
    What's this written right of way about, how long are houses in that road. Is there another way in, it seems a bit mad to me, I think you are making trouble for yourself it could end up 4 against 1, could make a lot of trouble for you down the line.

There are some rules whereby a right of way is supposed to be registered by 31st Dec this year. Perhaps that is why they want the letters. The question then is whether their is an otherwise established right of way that they could try to fight for.

Simply put - if the houses are not there long enough and there is nothing in writing then the lane owner holds all the power. Once they grant that right of way in writing though then they lose that potential Trump card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

No way would they have got planning in the last 20 years without a road and if houses are there longer, well than they have established a right of way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Base price

kerryjack wrote: »
    No way would they have got planning in the last 20 years without a road and if houses are there longer, well than they have established a right of way .
    I was wondering how planning permission was granted if there was no right of way.

Advertisement