Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Bike

Options
  • 29-08-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I’m on the lookout for a decent winter bike.

Currently have a Giant Defy Advanced 1 Carbon Frame. I would prefer not to use this on icy roads especially as it’s my good bike.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How much are you looking at spending? Hydraulic discs are obviously great for winter but immediately bring up cost, wider tire clearance, mudguard mounts, possibly alu or steel but for me a winter bike has to be a good bit cheaper than my good bike.

For example I've a few year old Cannondale Synapse 105 disc vs a Giant TCR Ultegra Di2 as the good bike. The poor TCR probably won't see the road until next April.

I'd look at gravel bikes and any endurance road bikes you can get a good deal on

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

How much are you looking at spending? Hydraulic discs are obviously great for winter but immediately bring up cost, wider tire clearance, mudguard mounts, possibly alu or steel but for me a winter bike has to be a good bit cheaper than my good bike.

For example I've a few year old Cannondale Synapse 105 disc vs a Giant TCR Ultegra Di2 as the good bike. The poor TCR probably won't see the road until next April.

I'd look at gravel bikes and any endurance road bikes you can get a good deal on

Any where up to €1,500

Would like disc breaks, tire clearance to fit 38 mm perhaps, light weight alumi etc

I’m looking at gravel and hybrid bikes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For me a winter bike must be aluminium, disc brakes and good tyre clearance. Mine is a Felt VR30 which I’ve owned for almost 4 years now and has become almost my everyday bike. My good bike, an S-Works Roubaix Di2 rarely gets an outing, according to Strava I’ve only done 389km on it this year so far and that’s not likely to increase unless we get a good dry spell of weather.

I’ve also a holiday/turbo bike which is a Cube Attain. It’s the 2018 Claris model and it’s such a nice bike to ride. I’m eligible for the BTW scheme again next year and if I do buy something it’ll most likely be an Attain with hydraulic disc brakes, you should be able to get a disc brake model for your budget.

The biggest problem you might have is finding somewhere that has stock or can get bikes as everywhere appears to be sold out of popular sizes (52-58cm)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

onlineweb wrote: »
    ...I would prefer not to use this on icy roads...
    :confused: Why would you wish to use any bike on icy roads? It's a danger to yourself and others regardless of any damage to a bike.

:confused: Why would you wish to use any bike on icy roads? It's a danger to yourself and others regardless of any damage to a bike.

It’s a figure of speech, will not be literally using it on icy roads.

• Advertisement

For me a winter bike must be aluminium, disc brakes and good tyre clearance. Mine is a Felt VR30 which I’ve owned for almost 4 years now and has become almost my everyday bike. My good bike, an S-Works Roubaix Di2 rarely gets an outing, according to Strava I’ve only done 389km on it this year so far and that’s not likely to increase unless we get a good dry spell of weather.

I’ve also a holiday/turbo bike which is a Cube Attain. It’s the 2018 Claris model and it’s such a nice bike to ride. I’m eligible for the BTW scheme again next year and if I do buy something it’ll most likely be an Attain with hydraulic disc brakes, you should be able to get a disc brake model for your budget.

Thanks for the suggestions, will check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The biggest problem you might have is finding somewhere that has stock or can get bikes as everywhere appears to be sold out of popular sizes (52-58cm)

Why aluminum specifically? Does it have properties good for winter or do you damage carbon using it in winter or what? I will take my carbon yoke out on a nice winters day occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Winter bike featuring as many of the following would be my pref anyway...

Thru axel
    Hydraulic disc
    Mudguard eyelets
    Internal cable routing
    Internal headset
    Threaded BB
    Clearance for up to 35mm
    Tubeless

That’s what id be looking for anyway from a comfort, reliability, ease of cleaning and maintenance perspective

a148pro wrote: »
    Why aluminum specifically? Does it have properties good for winter or do you damage carbon using it in winter or what? I will take my carbon yoke out on a nice winters day occasionally

When carbon fiber fails, it fails spectacularly. While other materials might simply buckle or bend, carbon fiber can shatter into pieces, sending riders flying into the road or trail. And this kind of catastrophic destruction can happen to any part of a bike made with the material.

This is an interesting article

https://www.outsideonline.com/2311816/carbon-fiber-bike-accidents-lawsuits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

When carbon fiber fails, it fails spectacularly. While other materials might simply buckle or bend, carbon fiber can shatter into pieces, sending riders flying into the road or trail. And this kind of catastrophic destruction can happen to any part of a bike made with the material.

This is an interesting article

https://www.outsideonline.com/2311816/carbon-fiber-bike-accidents-lawsuits

So are you saying Carbon Fiber can only fail in he Winter :confused: I've been riding carbon bikes through winters for over 20 years and never had one fail. 1000's of cyclist do likewise without issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd read the preference for alu for a winter bike as meaning the budget doesn't reach to carbon fibre, generally speaking if you compare bikes of similar spec component wise the alu version will be a nice bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Ribble have always done a great winter bike. Probably don't need disc brakes in winter unless you're in a hilly area.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-shimano-105/

So are you saying Carbon Fiber can only fail in the Winter :confused: I've been riding carbon bikes through winters for over 20 years and never had one fail. 1000's of cyclist do likewise without issue?

No, you are more prone to accidents in the winter due to weather conditions.

If your carbon frame bike is involved in an accident, it can cause it to fail, i.e. fracture, cracks.

Carbons don’t have the same durability as Aluminum. Because carbon is a very stiff material, i.e. it can be brittle.

bingobars wrote: »
    Winter bike featuring as many of the following would be my pref anyway...

Thru axel
    Hydraulic disc
    Mudguard eyelets
    Internal cable routing
    Internal headset
    Threaded BB
    Clearance for up to 35mm
    Tubeless

That’s what id be looking for anyway from a comfort, reliability, ease of cleaning and maintenance perspective

Yes, absolutely agree.

Tubeless is a good idea.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Ribble have always done a great winter bike. Probably don't need disc brakes in winter unless you're in a hilly area.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-shimano-105/

Good suggestion, nice bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

a148pro wrote: »

It’s tougher than carbon and will take more abuse. You won’t be running to the bike shop every time you get a stone chip to see if it’s just a crack in the clear coat/paint or structural damage with an alloy bike. And like someone else said if you take a fall, your less likely to cause any structural damage with alloy than with carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

what frame size you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

P8050665-zps8be8177a.jpg

See that hole there on the downtube?

That's a hole drilled into a carbon mountain bike for a dropper post.

I bet you wouldn't do that to an aluminium frame.

I have raced for 24 hours on that frame, and jumped it and crashed it and generally not paid any attention to that hole and it's fine. And I often weigh north of 100kg so it's not being minced on. It's a light weight xc race bike too, so no burly dh beast.

It's currently waiting until my eldest grows 3" and I expect it not to shatter or blow up at any time.

I've carbon suspension forks from 95 that only got hung up 5 years ago covered in MTB use marks, proper gouges. I've another 2 carbon suspension forks that are about to be serviced and go back on bikes.

The only carbon fibre I have heard of shatter were the real early defender lacrosse sticks, I presume from the resin used. These sticks were being used to smack people and kit for 80 minutes (hard) and even then I only heard of a couple breaking in the states.

There is so much nonsense written about frame materials, tap a coke cap walled aluminium frame wrong and it crumples, steel is twangy and will rust and carbon fibre will shatter and explode...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I have a 2020 defy advanced 2 and I'm going to cycle the nuts off it through all sorts of weather.its great craic to cycle and can take on most roads. I'll be divorced if I get another bike in anyway. Cube nuroad would be another option. I had one previously and they are a great bike.

There was a god video on YouTube showing how strong carbon is when made right. It's based in the giant factory. They had different materials in foot lengths on a wall and carbon was one of the strongest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saccades wrote: »
    There is so much nonsense written about frame materials, tap a coke cap walled aluminium frame wrong and it crumples, steel is twangy and will rust and carbon fibre will shatter and explode...
    someone sould make a frame with an outer carbon fibre layer, an intermediate steel layer, and an inner aluminium layer. just to hedge their bets.

and paint it with titanium paint.
    (well, any white house paint you buy has titanium in it, so that's easy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...See that hole there on the downtube?

That's a hole drilled into a carbon mountain bike for a dropper post....
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? A hole and a crack are two totally different things in terms of integrity. You can drill a hole in a pane of glass and it won't affect its integrity. Cause a crack in it and it's a different matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

So are you saying Carbon Fiber can only fail in he Winter :confused: I've been riding carbon bikes through winters for over 20 years and never had one fail. 1000's of cyclist do likewise without issue?

I am bewildered by this comment. :confused:

P8050665-zps8be8177a.jpg

See that hole there on the downtube?

That's a hole drilled into a carbon mountain bike for a dropper post.

I bet you wouldn't do that to an aluminium frame.

I have raced for 24 hours on that frame, and jumped it and crashed it and generally not paid any attention to that hole and it's fine. And I often weigh north of 100kg so it's not being minced on. It's a light weight xc race bike too, so no burly dh beast.

It's currently waiting until my eldest grows 3" and I expect it not to shatter or blow up at any time.

I've carbon suspension forks from 95 that only got hung up 5 years ago covered in MTB use marks, proper gouges. I've another 2 carbon suspension forks that are about to be serviced and go back on bikes.

The only carbon fibre I have heard of shatter were the real early defender lacrosse sticks, I presume from the resin used. These sticks were being used to smack people and kit for 80 minutes (hard) and even then I only heard of a couple breaking in the states.

I am astounded that you would spend big money on a carbon frame and then drill a hole through it. This bike is now worthless IMO.

:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

360 cycles have a lovely Croix de fer for about 1800. That's probably what I'd get.

It's neither a gravel, cx or road bike. It's a fun, super comfortable , albeit can be a heavy bike.

My preference is for steel. My alu bike is pretty much my turbo bike for now

There is a big difference between Steel, Aluminum and Carbon frames.

All need to be cared for differently, and all have advantages and disadvantages.

I have a 3T, which I will be taking out of the shed in September for the winter months, which I would highly recommend.

I would not buy a brand new bike, search donedeal and adverts for second-hand deals.

https://www.3t.bike/en/217-exploro-proteamltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Speculator wrote: »

I am bewildered by this comment :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Speculator wrote: »
    seems to me the issue is whether the OP is saying 'i do not want a carbon bike as my winter bike as carbon fibre is more brittle', and the response is that carbon is no more nor less brittle in the winter.

people don't usually use carbon bikes in the winter i guess because winter can be hard on a bike and they don't want to destroy their good bike with road dirt and salt and what have you, so they go for cheaper alloy bikes.

seems to me the issue is whether the OP is saying 'i do not want a carbon bike as my winter bike as carbon fibre is more brittle', and the response is that carbon is no more nor less brittle in the winter.

people don't usually use carbon bikes in the winter i guess because winter can be hard on a bike and they don't want to destroy their good bike with road dirt and salt and what have you, so they go for cheaper alloy bikes.
    No, you are more prone to accidents in the winter due to weather conditions.

If your carbon frame bike is involved in an accident, it can cause it to fail, i.e. fracture, cracks.

Carbons don’t have the same durability as Aluminum. Because carbon is a very stiff material, i.e. it can be brittle.

Yes I think he was a bit confused, so I had to spell things out. See above.

@magicbastarder what’s your thoughts on a Giant Revolt as a winter bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm currently looking for a new bike for winter/commuting and have no problem with using a carbon frame. I'll go for cheaper components as that's what wears more. If I had cash I'd probably look at adverts / donedeal etc but I'll be using BTW so it'll be a new bike.
    I'm not bothered about disc brakes as I'd rather have some compatability with what I already use in case I need to swap bits about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd have thought the road dirt and salt would be harsher on aluminium and steel than it would ever on carbon. So it's just a matter of keeping it clean and not crashing.

Advertisement