Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out Slatted Shed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭k mac

What would the going rate be for a 3 bay single shed in the west. No silage with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

cute geoge wrote: »
    Second last winter the one after the drought I was sure i would be short of silage but the wilted silage lasted at least one and a half times longer ,At one stage 2 bales were feeding 60 dry cows with a kilo of meal so if wilted bales are well packed they will go along way .I wonder has anyone done the maths of how many kilo of dry matter is in wilted bales compared to low d.m. bales

Bought haylage type wraps last year that tested 51%dm and where averaging 750kgs fresh weight on feeder scales so 330kgs dm a bale, a bale of wet stuff say at 850kgs fresh weight and 20%dm would only have around 170kgs dm a bale

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Bought haylage type wraps last year that tested 51%dm and where averaging 750kgs fresh weight on feeder scales so 330kgs dm a bale, a bale of wet stuff say at 850kgs fresh weight and 20%dm would only have around 170kgs dm a bale

That's v interesting.
    I have no weights, but suckling cows here last winter ate twice as much of the wet silage than they did the dry silage that was made at d start of July. Not approx, they were going through twice as many bales. The cows were always lying out like pigs chewing the cud on the dry stuff and roaring when on the wet stuff.

It’s all haylage we make, it lasts longer per bale and keeps the cows much cleaner.

They will also turn their nose up at proper silage now as they prefer the haylage so it’s a lot more waste too. Only reason we would end up with a bit of silage would be if the weather was going to take a turn and we couldn’t wilt long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

It’s all haylage we make, it lasts longer per bale and keeps the cows much cleaner.

They will also turn their nose up at proper silage now as they prefer the haylage so it’s a lot more waste too. Only reason we would end up with a bit of silage would be if the weather was going to take a turn and we couldn’t wilt long enough.

Is that for sucklers or dairy?

How long would you typically leave the haylage before bailing and how many turns would you give it?

Obviously weather is the deciding factor but in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Panch18 wrote: »

How long would you typically leave the haylage before bailing and how many turns would you give it?

Mine is for drystock. I use s two cut system, first cut was around May 25th, the weather was very good it was down about 48 hours cut one evening with a mowers conditioner, rowed morning before baling. Weather was excellent. Second cut was early August, got three dry days same treatment. No tedding or turning out would be trying for high 30's DM at a minimum
    but have had haulage in the 60's DM.

When you start doing it in a beef system you will never go back to getting low DM silage. No waste, no constantly drawing bales to the feed face, handling 70%of the bales or less, cattle much more contend, less risk of a single animal going back in the pen unless there is another issue, brings bale costs to below bulk silage cost. It also easier to pike all left over bits in front of one pen to force clean out if feed face. Not half the bulling at the feed face when fresh silage us dropped in.

It amazing as well it works out as cheap as making hay. I am after feeding a bake to three rigs that I have put in out of the way. I got a bake of hay off the brother in law it only lasted 10 days, I have put a bale of haylage in front and they will take two weeks at least to eat if it holds up. I am thinking of putting in 2-3hungry stores with the hem that will take until Christmas to go overfat.

Slava Ukrainii

Panch18 wrote: »

It’s sucklers.

As you said it depends on the weather - with nice sunny weather cut early afternoon - turn that evening. Leave the full following day with one turn at some stage of the day and then row the following day and bale sometime in the afternoon.

That wouldn’t be unusual but there would be variations depending on weather, having the time to cut in the afternoon rather than evening etc.

So between 48 about maybe 54 hrs and it would get two turns.

Advertisement