Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out Slatted Shed

Options
  • 28-08-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of renting out the slatted shed this coming winter.

- Standard 3bay double sided slatted shed (6 bays)
    - Electricity and water available
    - No labour or feed included
    - Slats are covered in easyfix rubber mats
    - Slurry to be taken away

Has anyone a ballpark figure of what I should charge for the whole winter period? (Nov - March)

What are other people paying or receiving?

I want to just charge an upfront rent and dont want to be counting heads of cattle or days spent in the shed.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Problem with renting a shed is anyone renting will want it for minimum time possible. While in theory they may have it 150 days they may only need it 100-120. Drawing feed adds cost and no labour means you need to call regular. If you are.in an area where the winter is long it takes aside to justify a 250 day cost. A six bay shed takes some filling and maybe value of slurry left behind.
    At a rough guess 1.8-2k

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have close to 200 bales of silage aswell...id like to sell them to the man that rents the shed....

Ideally a Dairy man who wants to house replacement heifers or something for the winter....

Any thoughts???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

I have close to 200 bales of silage aswell...id like to sell them to the man that rents the shed....

Ideally a Dairy man who wants to house replacement heifers or something for the winter....

Any thoughts???

Where are u based, in dire need of a bigger shed to rent. Renting a 2 bay double at the minute and could do with a few more bays

cosatron wrote: »
    Where are u based, in dire need of a bigger shed to rent. Renting a 2 bay double at the minute and could do with a few more bays

Send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Slats not great for dairy stock

• Advertisement

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Slats not great for dairy stock

I have rubber mats on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

That’s great but when when older and they go into a cubicle house they might not be trained to cubicles and end up lying in ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yeah I don't think you could winter heifers in slats. Be an awful mess later on in their life when not trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Dob u mind my asking why your thinking of doing this out of curiosity?I'm thinking of doing something similar

richie123 wrote: »
    Dob u mind my asking why your thinking of doing this out of curiosity?I'm thinking of doing something similar

Just comes down to the numbers really.....makes no sense for me to fill up a shed with cattle and fatten them for Larry next year and lose money or break even at best.....

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

Thanks to those for the insight regarding dairy heifers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    That’s great but when when older and they go into a cubicle house they might not be trained to cubicles and end up lying in ****e.

They learn fairly quickly. They are used to going in and out of parlours and crushes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Are you anywhere near south tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Gman1987

Just to give you an idea of figures over the past two years I ended up giving €1.30 - €1.40 per head per day for sheds in the midlands for 450-500kg cattle. I drop the cattle into the shed circa. mid November and the shed owner looks after them after that until I pick them up again mid March. All silage supplied adlib by the shed owner but I would have to provide meal if I want to feed any (which I dont)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

There’s thousands of dairy heifers wintered on slats all over the country with no issues. I’ve seen plenty of heifers come off slats cleaner for calving than some of the solid floor/cubicle set ups. With the prohibitive cost of straw in the west most cattle are on slats with cubicle lie backs only for the main herd of cows.

Gman1987 wrote: »
    Just to give you an idea of figures over the past two years I ended up giving €1.30 - €1.40 per head per day for sheds in the midlands for 450-500kg cattle. I drop the cattle into the shed circa. mid November and the shed owner looks after them after that until I pick them up again mid March. All silage supplied adlib by the shed owner but I would have to provide meal if I want to feed any (which I dont)

Thats great information,

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

There is no money in shed owner for that, even just suppling the bales alone they'd be down, never mind the labour and capital cost of shed. Good deal for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

TPF2012 wrote: »
    There is no money in shed owner for that, even just suppling the bales alone they'd be down, never mind the labour and capital cost of shed. Good deal for you.

I thought it dear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

25 cattle= 31 euro per day
    Cattle eat one bale per day...value 25 euro
    Farmer must provide shed and feed......
    Farmer busy fool I say...

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    25 cattle= 31 euro per day
    Cattle eat one bale per day...value 25
    Farmer must provide shed and feed......
    Farmer busy fool I say...

Making good dry silage a baie will last 32 cattle a day. 32x1.4= 44.8. cost of making bale silage is always equivalent to DM of bale. The difference in cost between low DM and high DM bales is only 2-3 euro/bale. 100 cattle in a shed is 135 Eury/day. Silage is 75/day60 euro/day to cover labour, shed, machinery and electricity. 120 day winter is 7200 euro. To make a profit at farming you need to be ultra efficient. You need about 360 bales for the winter. You get that silage off 25 acres on a two cut system. Is after grass worth 30/acres .

Profit margin is so tight in beef farming this may be an option. I would not do it but lads can ways stock the place themselves

Slava Ukrainii

Making good dry silage a baie will last 32 cattle a day. 32x1.4= 44.8. cost of making bale silage is always equivalent to DM of bale. The difference in cost between low DM and high DM bales is only 2-3 euro/bale. 100 cattle in a shed is 135 Eury/day. Silage is 75/day60 euro/day to cover labour, shed, machinery and electricity. 120 day winter is 7200 euro. To make a profit at farming you need to be ultra efficient. You need about 360 bales for the winter. You get that silage off 25 acres on a two cut system. Is after grass worth 30/acres .

Profit margin is so tight in beef farming this may be an option. I would not do it but lads can ways stock the place themselves

Feeding 32 500kg cattle on only a bale a day is quiet an achievement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Second last winter the one after the drought I was sure i would be short of silage but the wilted silage lasted at least one and a half times longer ,At one stage 2 bales were feeding 60 dry cows with a kilo of meal so if wilted bales are well packed they will go along way .I wonder has anyone done the maths of how many kilo of dry matter is in wilted bales compared to low d.m. bales

Feeding 32 500kg cattle on only a bale a day is quiet an achievement!

In the last 5 years I have gone from 10-12 bales per acre to 7ish bales per acre. Newer balers have cut number of bales by at least 20% the rest is getting the wilt right.

These bales wilted to above 50%DM are up on 650kgs in weight. Cattle will eat approximately 2%of there body weight per day. 650 by 50% is 325 kgs of DM per bale or the feed for 32 in no 500kg stock

Slava Ukrainii

In the last 5 years I have gone from 10-12 bales per acre to 7ish bales per acre. Newer balers have cut number of bales by at least 20% the rest is getting the wilt right.

These bales wilted to above 50%DM are up on 650kgs in weight. Cattle will eat approximately 2%of there body weight per day. 650 by 50% is 325 kgs of DM per bale or the feed for 32 in no 500kg stock

How long do you let silage wilt for?

How long do you let silage wilt for?

Cut with a mower conditioner, 44-48 hours in really hot weather three days in not so hot weather

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

you need to be careful not to have it wilting too long as well otherwise the grass starts deteriorating and you are making the silage worse

we tend to bale now 24-36 hours after mowing - think it better than the 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Panch18 wrote: »
    you need to be careful not to have it wilting too long as well otherwise the grass starts deteriorating and you are making the silage worse

we tend to bale now 24-36 hours after mowing - think it better than the 48 hours

24-36 hours. Any time after that and protein starts dropping.

Panch18 wrote: »

Dunedin wrote: »
    24-36 hours. Any time after that and protein starts dropping.

Very little research has gone into thrive off different types of silage. Most research has been based on quality from testing. Assumptions have been based on quality.

However evidence is now beginning to be seen that high DM silage increases intake and this increases thrive and LW gain. My system is a low cost silage only for stores during the winter. When you allow for the fact that 50%of the cost of a bale of silage is in cutting, baling and plastic the more that's in the bale helps to lower your feed costs. No point.in getting an extra 50-60 grind/day if it costing 3-4euro/kg of liveweight

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get paid as much as you can up front. The amount of lads that walk off without paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

_Brian wrote: »
    Get paid as much as you can up front. The amount of lads that walk off without paying.

Also get it on paper with conditions and signed by both parties. Copy of to each party. Helps to keep a bit order on it.

Another option is payment at start of each month or cattle turned out. Being a bit of boll*x at the start is important as it is keeps the person coming in on toes and you get to see the colour of the metal of who you are dealing with

• Advertisement

If i dont get all the money upfront...there wont be one beast setting foot in the shed....

Advertisement