Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police shootings, vigilante shootings, and Black Lives Matter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm confused, is he threatening people like Kyle or BLM?
    Given his connections to, promotions of, and speaking at events hosted by militias with significant white supremacist ties, there's not really any way to take this other than this being directed exclusively at the likes of black militias while also supporting white ones.

Facebook are known to leave stuff up that other social media sites don't, that they were quick to take this down is pretty telling, all things considered. It's pretty clearly trying to incite violence and race bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭briany

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Indeed , and had the guys with guns in Kenosha been on the roof of properties or even on Private property carrying out that defence then the story would be a bit different I suspect.

However they weren't, they were out on the public streets walking around acting as a "para-military" force.

I suspect that that difference might be crucial in any upcoming legal proceedings.

You get the feeling with the roof Koreans that they didn't exactly relish their task and would have much preferred that no riots were happening and it was just a usual business day.

The militia types on the other hand, considering the amount of crowing and braggadocio they engage in, it seems like they'll take any old excuse to get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Given his connections to, promotions of, and speaking at events hosted by militias with significant white supremacist ties, there's not really any way to take this other than this being directed exclusively at the likes of black militias while also supporting white ones.

Facebook are known to leave stuff up that other social media sites don't, that they were quick to take this down is pretty telling, all things considered. It's pretty clearly trying to incite violence and race bait.

Its strange though, as he says they will target people coming into their town armed, which is exactly what Mr Kyle did.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

briany wrote: »
    You get the feeling with the roof Koreans that they didn't exactly relish their task and would have much preferred that no riots were happening and it was just a usual business day.

The militia types on the other hand, considering the amount of crowing and braggadocio they engage in, it seems like they'll take any old excuse to get stuck in.

Indeed.

Standing guard in or on Private Property = Legitimate Property defence , probably covered by Castle Doctrine type laws.

Wandering the Streets with a weapon is NOT that. It's vigilantism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Indeed.

Standing guard in or on Private Property = Legitimate Property defence , probably covered by Castle Doctrine type laws.

Wandering the Streets with a weapon is NOT that. It's vigilantism.

I would agree with you, however seems a touch inaccurate to describe Rittenhouse as wandering the streets. From what I understand, he and the rest were positioned at the location (car dealership) deliberately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its strange though, as he says they will target people coming into their town armed, which is exactly what Mr Kyle did.
    It's a simple attempt at intimidation, otherwise he would not be intentionally showing one of the only black militias in the pictures below. His support and promotion of of white supremacist militias only backs that up further, and had this been targeted at Rittenhouse etc, he wouldn't have made sure to find a photo of one of the only black militias (who have also protested on the Breonna Taylor murder and been linked with, but deny any connection to, BLM) out of the many, many ones in the US which are almost all close to exclusively white.

When looking him up, I also found out why he is no longer a cop - he had to resign for unnecessary force used against (drum-roll) a black guy: https://www.bayoubrief.com/2020/07/13/after-using-unnecessary-force-against-an-unarmed-black-man-he-turned-in-his-badge-now-hes-a-two-term-congressman/

Basically, if you're looking to join a militia in Louisiana and are on "his side" Clay Higgins is all for it and will even point you towards white supremacist ones which he is well connected with. If you're not however, he's straight up threatening to murder you. Which isn't surprising given the Oath Keepers and 3 Percenters to which he keeps such close ties have a history of threatening to murder people they disagree with, including long time US Senator John McCain.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I would agree with you, however seems a touch inaccurate to describe Rittenhouse as wandering the streets. From what I understand, he and the rest were positioned at the location (car dealership) deliberately.

Perhaps. but they were not positioned on Private Property , they were on a public street.

That removes the use of the "castle doctrine" as a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Perhaps. but they were not positioned on Private Property , they were on a public street.

That removes the use of the "castle doctrine" as a defence.

I'll be interested in how that aspect plays out. Could set an important precedent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Has to be registered, if it’s not then that’s even more charges.

Where are you getting that from? As a general rule, Wisconsin doesn't have a registration requirement.

I'm also not aware of any relevant laws prohibiting short-term carriage of firearms across state lines. I do it not infrequently myself.
    I'll be interested in how that aspect plays out. Could set an important precedent

I don't see why. It's not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Police shot and killed Michael Reinoehl trying to arrest him. He’s the white guy that shot and killed the Trump supporter in Portland. He said it was self defence in a Vice interview, think it was filmed though. Anyone know what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mot much detail on that yet, This is the most I have on it. He seems to have been armed. Hope the officers had body cams. He seems to have done an interview with Vice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Police shot and killed Michael Reinoehl trying to arrest him. He’s the white guy that shot and killed the Trump supporter in Portland. He said it was self defence in a Vice interview, think it was filmed though. Anyone know what happened?

I'd love to hear from the posters who parrot the nonsense about the Portland PD giving Antifa et al a free ride.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I'd love to hear from the posters who parrot the nonsense about the Portland PD giving Antifa et al a free ride.

It's not a complete banana republic. Suspected murder can't be ignored like rioting, looting, blocking roads, assaulting people, arson and robbery can.

Jesus 30-40 shots fired at that fella from 4 officers

there is your "Law and Order" Trump supporters

Revenge execution killings in a mob style for someone who was defending himself from crazy people

Some of you are watching too many films where one shot is all it takes to neutralise a threat.

Simple bit of advice if any of you go to America. Comply with the police and don't shoot at or threaten them.

Now lets apply same logic to the young fella who travelled to another town and shot several people. Why does he not have 30-40 bullet holes in him?

Because he wasnt shooting at the police, he handed himself in.

It's not a complete banana republic. Suspected murder can't be ignored like rioting, looting, blocking roads, assaulting people, arson and robbery can.

None of those things are ignored.

they/them/theirs

They were federal marshals as he was in a different State. Little reason to believe, though, that Portland PD would or would not have done anything else in a similar situation.

Remains to be seen if there will be any footage. Until a year ago, Feds generally had a policy against bodycams, a pilot program starting only October of last year. I don't know if there is widespread use of them yet. That said, there may be other surveillance video.

They were federal marshals as he was in a different State. Little reason to believe, though, that Portland PD would or would not have done anything else in a similar situation.

Remains to be seen if there will be any footage. Until a year ago, Feds generally had a policy against bodycams, a pilot program starting only October of last year. I don't know if there is widespread use of them yet. That said, there may be other surveillance video.

Why were federal marshals arresting someone who wasn't wanted for a federal crime? I find it strange that Portland PD weren't there.

I know the FBI can't operate without the approval local police, is the same not true for the Marshalls?

they/them/theirs

Why were federal marshals arresting someone who wasn't wanted for a federal crime? I find it strange that Portland PD weren't there.

I know the FBI can't operate without the approval local police, is the same not true for the Marshalls?

As I understand it , the Marshals are used when someone is a fugitive from a warrant or if said person has crossed state lines.

I think in this case he had crossed State lines

Portland, Oregon PD has no jurisdiction in the State of Washington.

There are two ways for a local PD to obtain service of warrants on folks out of state. The first is if they know that the guy in question is at an address in, say, Washington, they can submit an extradition request, the Olympia PD or whoever then go to the address, arrest the bloke, then it goes through the court extradition proceedings for handoff. This is what happened with Rittenhouse. They knew where he was, was arrested by Aurora, Illinois police, and the extradition process to Wisconsin is currently working its way through the courts. (Court has implemented a months' delay on the extradition for procedural reasons).

The other is if they are fairly sure the guy's gone out of jurisdiction but they don't know exactly where, they put a request in to the Feds. One of the functions of the US Marshal's Service is to assist local law enforcement in the location and arrest of persons. The feds make the arrest, and I believe immediately hand over the arrestee to the requesting agency.

https://archive.naplesnews.com/news/local/in-the-know-when-do-us-marshals-get-involved-in-local-cases-ep-387831181-342432981.html/
    "A lot of people don't even know we exist," said John Kinsey, a deputy U.S. marshal with the U.S. Marshals Florida/Caribbean Regional Fugitive Task Force. "We're not jumping off of trains and chasing people through the swamp every day."

It's true that U.S. Marshals are involved in federal crimes and witness protection, but their duties include a lot more. The U.S. Marshals Service also conducts domestic and international fugitive investigations, plans and implements the extradition and deportation of fugitives, conducts financial and technical surveillance on specific fugitive investigations, and even serves court papers, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

"Our main objective is to service the federal courts," Kinsey said.

Marshals also are assigned by the U.S. attorney general to help local law enforcement agencies, Kinsey said. Involvement with the recent Lee County case falls under the U.S. Marshals' duties to work closely on fugitive task forces and special cases with local, state, federal and international law enforcement agencies.

"Basically, what it does is give the local guy a longer arm. It also gives them extra manpower," said Lee County sheriff's spokeswoman Sgt. Stephanie Eller.

In addition to manpower, especially for the long hours required for surveillance of crime suspects, U.S. Marshals also support local law enforcement agencies by providing additional equipment and funding, said Kinsey.

There may also be funding issues. The one time I wrote an arrest warrant, it was later pointed out to me that I obligated the spending of money to pay the responding agency (Carson City PD) for their time and costs of transport to deliver the arrestee to me 70 miles (and 90 minutes) away. Funding paths and amounts may be different for paying for extradition vs requesting federal support.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the video doing the rounds of the two cops and a guy in a yellow t shirt. The guy is coming at them with a gun or knife or something, the cops shoot him multiple times yet he is still coming at them. Manages to overpower one of the cops and get him in a headlock before the other cop comes in and shoots him again ending the attack.

It is a clear demonstration of just how dangerous some of these situations cops face and how difficult it can be to stop people.

So police should carry M8s to make sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Anyone see the video doing the rounds of the two cops and a guy in a yellow t shirt. The guy is coming at them with a gun or knife or something, the cops shoot him multiple times yet he is still coming at them. Manages to overpower one of the cops and get him in a headlock before the other cop comes in and shoots him again ending the attack.

It is a clear demonstration of just how dangerous some of these situations cops face and how difficult it can be to stop people.

Not what this thread is about. For every incident like that there are 10 of police shooting an unarmed person or using over the top reactions to incidents like this. Imagine threatening to shoot a family over a child taking a $1 toy

M8?

Not sure when this went up, but from a non-lawyer, non-media, non-politician person, this is probably the best, most accurate and balanced assessment of the Rittenhouse/Kenosha shooting. I might quibble with one or two things, but 'best' doesn't have to be 'perfect'.

https://www.bullshido.net/anatomy-of-a-catastrophe/
    There are a lot of opinions floating around about Kyle Rittenhouse and his actions. Normally when we have an emotionally charged series of events like those surrounding young Mister Rittenhouse, the first and most immediate of these opinions can be quickly parsed into a few easy-to-comprehend categories. You have shrieking partisans, useful idiots, and raging assholes. Reasoned views addressing the complexity of the underlying issues tend not to come until much later because reasoning requires facts and objectivity. Both of which tend to be in short supply for the first forty-eight hours or so.

What makes the Rittenhouse incident so interesting is that virtually every expletive-laden opinion surrounding his actions and the actions of the involved parties has an objective truth at its hate-filled heart. That is a rare thing, and it baked my noodle pretty good when I noticed this ridiculous coincidence. Whatever your opinion of what happened in Kenosha, there is probably a solid factual foundation justifying it. I stewed on that for a while before a potential reason for this formed in my head. Are you ready?

Everyone involved in and around this tragedy is a f***g moron.

He then breaks down each failure in the chain of stupidity. Like an airplane accident, it takes multiple things going wrong.

Water John wrote: »
    So police should carry M8s to make sure?

I dont know what an m8 is. But if I was back in America it wouldn't bother me what they were carrying because I comply with police direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Some of you are watching too many films where one shot is all it takes to neutralise a threat.

Simple bit of advice if any of you go to America. Comply with the police and don't shoot at or threaten them.

It is reported on some sites, that eye withness's said it was a hit by the police, they just straight up murdered him. With things like this there is always a narrative by both sides. Hopefully we will get more details.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Not what this thread is about. For every incident like that there are 10 of police shooting an unarmed person or using over the top reactions to incidents like this. Imagine threatening to shoot a family over a child taking a $1 toy

That's absolutely disgusting. The worst part for me was the cop at the end shouting at the woman to put the child down. As a parent, this is really upsetting to watch.

Admittedly the cops who rolled in towards the end were trying their best to calm everything down, but what happened up to then was a disgrace.

On a personal note, it looks exactly like the Apartment complex I used to live in in Chandler, which is a suburb of Phoenix.

they/them/theirs

Sorry meant M15, the Americans poor version of a AK -47.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

M-16 ? Car- 15?
    Brian? wrote:
    That's absolutely disgusting. The worst part for me was the cop at the end shouting at the woman to put the child down. As a parent, this is really upsetting to watch.

Admittedly the cops who rolled in towards the end were trying their best to calm everything down, but what happened up to then was a disgrace.

On a personal note, it looks exactly like the Apartment complex I used to live in in Chandler, which is a suburb of Phoenix.

That is the exact type of person that should not be a cop.

• Advertisement

AR15?

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement