Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

Very unfortunate for Rahm. But there’s a precedent of sorts.

Something similar happened to Padraig Harrington many years ago. My recollection is as follows.

It was relatively early in his career and he was leading by 5 shots going into the final round. I think it was at the Belfry. The club had a practice of framing the winner's scorecard and they got together his scorecards for the first three rounds in anticipation of Padraig being the winner. When they did, they noticed that his playing partner, Michael Campbell, had signed the card in the player’s space and Padraig hadn’t noticed this and signed as marker.

I think he was on the practice ground when the officials approached him to tell him that he hadn’t signed his card and was being disqualified. My recollection is that he accepted what they were saying without making an issue of it and that they were impressed with how well he was handling what must have been devastating news for him. As far as I recall, Jose Maria Olazabal, who was in second place prior to Padraig’s withdrawal, went on to win the tournament.

I remember Padraig being interviewed on the radio afterwards and saying that he had phoned home to tell his family what happened, but that he just told them that it wasn’t the end of the world. Nobody died, nobody got hurt and there would be other tournaments. And there were.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

abff wrote: »
    Very unfortunate for Rahm. But there’s a precedent of sorts.

Something similar happened to Padraig Harrington many years ago. My recollection is as follows.

It was relatively early in his career and he was leading by 5 shots going into the final round. I think it was at the Belfry. The club had a practice of framing the winner's scorecard and they got together his scorecards for the first three rounds in anticipation of Padraig being the winner. When they did, they noticed that his playing partner, Michael Campbell, had signed the card in the player’s space and Padraig hadn’t noticed this and signed as marker.

I think he was on the practice ground when the officials approached him to tell him that he hadn’t signed his card and was being disqualified. My recollection is that he accepted what they were saying without making an issue of it and that they were impressed with how well he was handling what must have been devastating news for him. As far as I recall, Jose Maria Olazabal, who was in second place prior to Padraig’s withdrawal, went on to win the tournament.

I remember Padraig being interviewed on the radio afterwards and saying that he had phoned home to tell his family what happened, but that he just told them that it wasn’t the end of the world. Nobody died, nobody got hurt and there would be other tournaments. And there were!
    The difference between that incident with Harrington and the incident with Rahm is that Harrington himself made the mistake and paid the price. Rahm did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Roger_007 wrote:
    The difference between that incident with Harrington and the incident with Rahm is that Harrington himself made the mistake and paid the price. Rahm did nothing wrong.
    Ah come on, Harrington just signed his card where the space was.
    Not exactly the same but both unfortunate incidents.
    Should Rahm have even been playing? I know if I'm a close contact of a positive case that I'm obliged to self-isolate and not work until I pass two tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Roger_007 wrote: »

Have seen it written elsewhere that he refused a vaccine, if true then he has no one to blame but himself. I am not 100% sure of the source but it would definiltely put a different spin on things

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Have seen it written elsewhere that he refused a vaccine, if true then he has no one to blame but himself. I am not 100% sure of the source but it would definiltely put a different spin on things

Do you have a link to ‘elsewhere’ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

He wouldn’t have had to get tested daily if he was vaccinated. That’s the Tour policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

Pogue eile wrote: »

Jason Sobel reported that he had his first vaccine shot this week. Might have been after he was informed he was a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I don't as it is on another forum which I cant link from the phone, but as I said I have no idea how reliable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

tobsey wrote: »
    He wouldn’t have had to get tested daily if he was vaccinated. That’s the Tour policy.
    He may have been vaccinated, but not outside the two week window after his second jab or first if it was the J&J one.
    "As the COVID-19 vaccine is becoming more readily available, more individuals are being vaccinated," the memo reads. "PGA Tour Health and Safety protocol requires individuals to continue testing onsite until 14 full days have passed since their second dose (Moderna & Pfizer) or 14 full days since their single dose (Johnson & Johnson). Once 14 days have passed, individuals are no longer required to take a COVID-19 test when considered 'inside the bubble' at PGA Tour, PGA Tour Champions or Korn Ferry Tour events."

Rahm could have been vaccinated ages ago as vaccines have been freely available in the US so he was not just "unlucky"

could have avoided this easily

as well as the money he runs a risk of long covid

having refused the vaccine option is no doubt swallowing / getting injected with right now whatever drugs a doctor says would reduce the long covid risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

From Jon Rahm's R3 playing partners...

Patrick Cantlay: "I've already had COVID, so, yeah, I've got to imagine I have antibodies, so I don't feel too concerned."

Scottie Scheffler: "I don't feel very concerned. I had COVID. I'm not going to say whether or not I got vaccinated."

Not too hard to guess that scheffler won’t be getting the shot. He has also had Covid previously.

Have read that caddies are in a hard spot when it comes to the vaccine. They mostly want to get it as they can’t afford time off(a lot of them anyway) but then need to take time off to get the shot and are away from home most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

How can anyone have sympathy for Rahm?

Fair enough, people have a right to get vaccinated or not, but when your job has you traveling etc, being constantly around people etc, highly irresponsible for him not to have gotten vaccinated.

Deserves no sympathy far as I'm concerned

Actually, I looked it up and my recollection was slightly off. What actually happened was Campbell signed the card twice. And Padraig straight away admitted it was his own fault and that he didn’t blame anyone but himself.

But it was a high price to pay for a small piece of carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

glasso wrote: »
    Rahm could have been vaccinated ages ago as vaccines have been freely available in the US so he was not just "unlucky"

could have avoided this easily

as well as the money he runs a risk of long covid

having refused the vaccine option is no doubt swallowing / getting injected with right now whatever drugs a doctor says would reduce the long covid risk

The US has 42% fully vaccinated so they still have a long way to go. Rahm wouldn’t have been at the top of any queue either. Apparently he got the first dose this week after hearing he was a close contact but he’s still a few months from being fully vaccinated.

The US has 42% fully vaccinated so they still have a long way to go. Rahm wouldn’t have been at the top of any queue either. Apparently he got the first dose this week after hearing he was a close contact but he’s still a few months from being fully vaccinated.

the 42% figure is meaningless in this context really as vaccines have been freely available to all for months in the US

they are running lotteries and giving away shotguns to convince people to get it

not really surprising that it's mostly Trump supporters are the most thick / reluctant

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ohios-second-million-dollar-vaccine-lottery-winner-is-a-delivery-driver-from-toledo-01622750147

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/05/vaccine-us-states-america-covid-coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/17/us/vaccine-hesitancy-politics.html

even if Rahm had been vaccinated with just 1 shot of an MRA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) he would have had 80% protection (except Indian variant which is not widespread in US) after 2 to 3 weeks

he has no excuse really, particularly being on the tour scene as said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Most states are begging people to get vaccinated. Many are offering gifts or free draws in raffles to get the numbers up. I think Rahm lives in Florida, and Publix are giving a $10 gift card for every vaccine recipient. So no shortage there.

Does Patrick Cantley ever smile?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Some pressure putt from Morikawa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Does Patrick Cantley ever smile?

Great golfer but he's got the personality of a bag of cement.

He's also excruciatingly slow. Personally I have zero interest in watching him.

Rahm's home state of Arizona was offering vaccines to all adults since March 24

As said, even one shot of an MRNA vaccine (Pfizer and Moderna - most common options in the US) would have provided ~80% protection against the variants common in the US after 2 weeks or so#

The PGA tour also offers vaccinations on Fridays to players missing the cut and on Sundays after their rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dustin hitting form in time for the US open! The opposite for brooks - missed cut

Lovely finish by Seamus Power to birdie the 18th and get to 6 under. Currently tied 4th with the second round almost completed.

For such a low key event it's an intriguing leaderboard with DJ showing form and Power in contention again.

I'm also interested to see how Higgo and Nienaber get on over the weekend, both inside the top 10 at the moment, combined age of only 43

Dr. Bre wrote:
    Dustin hitting form in time for the US open! The opposite for brooks - missed cut
    He missed the cut at the Byron Nelson before the PGA Championship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Wonder if the bryson stuff is getting to him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Higgo and Nienaber have certainly hit the ground running on the PGA. Two great prospects, especially Higgo.
    South Africa have a bunch of really good players at the moment.

Roger_007 wrote:
    Higgo and Nienaber have certainly hit the ground running on the PGA. Two great prospects, especially Higgo. South Africa have a bunch of really good players at the moment.
    Yeah, going back you had Els, Goosen and Tim Clark come through around the same time, then Immelman, Oosthuizen and Schwartzel.
    Now they have Higgo and Bezuidenhout with Nienaber, Burmester, Van Rooyen, Fritelli, Burmester, Van Tonder and Stone and not forgetting Grace all inside the top 100 in the owgr.

Higgo and Nienaber have certainly hit the ground running on the PGA. Two great prospects, especially Higgo.
    South Africa have a bunch of really good players at the moment.

Ya I think Higgo is the standout, Nienaber seems to be more of a bomb and gouge merchant from what I've seen. But a big talent nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Wonder if the bryson stuff is getting to him.

Highly doubt it, it's well known Brooks doesn't really care about regular PGA events, especially something like this with a seriously weak field, I can easily see him being right in the mix next week, Majors are what gets his juices flowing, probably why he has won 4 majors and just 4 regular events.

• Advertisement

Koepka offering people slabs of beer as a reward for heckling another player was completely classless, regardless of your views on Bryson.

Hopefully he misses the cut next week, or preferably implodes in the final round like he did at the PGA.

Advertisement