Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most important life lesson?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Antares35 wrote: »
    You said we are born to die. You didn't so much rephrase as completely change what you first said lol.

Just for you we are born to live, then we die. No matter what happens in life we die. Hang on we do die, so technically we are born to die, no matter what function we do in between. And if were all here for a specific reason, to say contribute to the great good of humanity good forward. what then is the reason say for drug addicts, what do they contribute to humanity or society. Regardless of it all were all born to die

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

KaneToad wrote: »
    Girls from Munster are the easiest...

I must be living in the wrong part of Munster then!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A dandelion can be a weed or a flower, it depends on your perspective.

Don’t take criticism from someone you wouldn’t go to for advice.

Autosport wrote: »

^^THIS

They're two a penny. Talk is cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

see no evil hear no evil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

This too shall pass.

Trust actions, not words.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

buried wrote: »
    DON'T SUCK CORPORATE COCK
    ooooh....:o it went badly then...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

This too shall pass.

Trust actions, not words.

I saw this first quote on Oprah but that got me thinking , I have made this mistake loads of times, but to implement it as soon as someone says something you don't like or you interpret as nasty or in someway belittling to you do you immediately cut them off or mark their card as a toxic person for good. It seems as soon as someone does something you interpret as something negative to you, you then have summed them up forever. What if the person was having a bad day or week or was going through a health scare. Or am i taking the quote to literally.:confused: Seems pretty ruthless as most people at some stage will do things you dont like or cross your boundaries whether they meant to or did it in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Any friend that turned into an enemy has been hating since Day 1

People who are intimidated by you talk bad about you so others wont find you so appealing.

If people are trying to bring you down it means your above them

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Any friend that turned into an enemy has been hating since Day 1

Frame this.

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »

This is extremely bad life advice. Like truly awful.

You should have a much smaller circle of people you're willing to take advice from about your future than you're willing to accept criticism from about your past and present.

A chef isn't going to take advice from a patron but if they say it's not a good dish, they'd better listen. A fellow electrician isn't someone you'd necessarily seek advice from since you're on the same page, but if they see you making a mistake on your wiring, you'd better listen. A teacher with one year's experience could offer constructive criticism after an observation lesson and it shouldn't be dismissed because he is relatively new. Likewise, a student isn't educated in pedagogy but their feedback is valuable and is sought after.

Added to this is the fact that many of the people we are most likely to turn to in life for advice either have blindspots when it come to our faults or may be worried about hurting our feelings.

As I say, God-awful advice that has sprung up recently online and rightly gets shot to pieces every time someone pastes it. It's echo chamber thought and just sounds good at a glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Measure twice cut once.

Éist le ceoil an abhainn agus geobhfaidh tú breac.
    Listen to the music of the river and you’ll catch a fish.

Measure once, cut twice, run out of wood, rush to timber yard, closed.

Teach a man how to fish, and he will buy a set of headphones, put on Enya, and drown in new age silt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Enjoy yourself its later than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Never stare at another man while eating a banana.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Castles made of sand fall into the sea, eventualllllly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riddles

Listen to your gut when it’s telling you something. I’ve repeatedly ignored my gut, much to my cost. It’s even more surprising given the bloody size of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Keep out of the black and in the red, you get nothing in this game for two in a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭worded

If you give a person a fish, you feed them for the day.
    But if you give a person a fishing rod, they can sell it and buy a bag of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

never work for relations / extended family

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If its important or will cost you time or money get it down in writing.

Take risks but calculate the risk versus the return.

God’s not making any more land - invest in land.

Protect the environment & wildlife - when its gone its gone and can rarely be fixed or replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Be nice to people, be good to people, be positive and enjoy life. Settle down have a family, stay faithful to the missus, drink red wine, enjoy good beers too, brush your teeth, stay regular, not too much red meat, travel broadens the mind, keep active and breath in the air .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

You are often promised that dreams come true, but what they fail to mention is, that nightmares are dreams too.

You cannot stop change more than you can stop the sun from setting

Akabusi wrote: »
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

A Corollary really of this point: Quite a good few acquaintance will egg you on to speak in this state anyway -

it's only for their own entertainment

I saw this first quote on Oprah but that got me thinking , I have made this mistake loads of times, but to implement it as soon as someone says something you don't like or you interpret as nasty or in someway belittling to you do you immediately cut them off or mark their card as a toxic person for good. It seems as soon as someone does something you interpret as something negative to you, you then have summed them up forever. What if the person was having a bad day or week or was going through a health scare. Or am i taking the quote to literally.:confused: Seems pretty ruthless as most people at some stage will do things you dont like or cross your boundaries whether they meant to or did it in error.

It refers to when the first chance someone gets they fcuk you or someone else over. Not some comment about how X spends too much money on fake tan.

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    I regularly face abuse over how I look just walking down the street or doing my job. So I disagree...

Abuse from random strangers is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Never stare at another man while eating a banana.

This made me laugh.

Who's eating the banana though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

All the money in the world is no good to you if you can't sit in your local without people thinking you're a bollix.

Pretty sure a lots of people think I’m a bollix, wherever I sit. Couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Be nice to people, be good to people, be positive and enjoy life. Settle down have a family, stay faithful to the missus, drink red wine, enjoy good beers too, brush your teeth, stay regular, not too much red meat, travel broadens the mind, keep active and breath in the air .....

This :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

If you're doubting your ability to trust someone, then you already know your answer.

Pay attention to words said after drink, most of the time that ****er was waiting for dutch courage to speak the truth.

In an argument where bitter words are said, look at a persons situation and frame of mind before letting their words settle under your skin. They may be desperately unhappy and projecting onto you. Don't take it personal.

Never a borrower or a lender be, and if has to be borrowed then trust Credit Unions and Banks. Believe me their terms and conditions are safer than terms set down by a personal friend or family member.

Drink your water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

George Bernard Shaw wrote, "Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same." This suggests that if your values are not shared with others, the way you want to be treated will not be the way they want to be treated.

On the other hand

If you are a sadist and the others are masochists: your tastes may be different, but that doesn't mean your cruelty won't fulfill the others' desires.

Advertisement