Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gareth O'Callaghan nails what many of us are thinking...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That OP is full of the kind of nonsense, fear and hysteria that has led us to this point.

The death rate of Covid in Ireland is tiny. Only 1777 "deaths". Factor in that the government have openly admitted to overstating the deaths by a lot. And lots of the deaths are people that died WITH Covid as opposed to OF Covid.

Perhaps we should act like grown ups and accept that some people will get sick and some people might die. The same way lots of other illnesses kill people each year.

Time to get back to work while there is still an economy left to salvage.

Actually surprised it took so long for this kind of post to show up on this thread. Yeah sure nonsense, hysteria, fear.. whatever makes you happy. Sick of reading this nonsense! I can follow measures and get on with life no problem, didn't stop working since this covid sh1tstorm started. This kind of attitude in this particular post is exactly what drives cases up and leave useless government to deal with it. So everything is mess by now and everything takes forever to deal with. If people comply, if companies comply, with the most basic rules to limit the spread, we would be somewhere else by now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I saw his post on Facebook and it sums it up very well for sure. Rte news reported that the protesters were angry at the measures taken. The measure taken were for public health and to protect us all.

Also the protesters were both anti mask and anti lockdown. It doesn't make sense to me. If you were anti lockdown, surely you would be for measures to slow the spread of the virus and that would include the wearing of masks in indoor public areas. So that we can hopefully all resume back to some sort of normality with less virus cases and not lockdown again. To be both anti lockdown and anti mask at the same time - that doesn't make sense to me.

Make no mistake about it. The organisers are probably great friends with that tramp Gemma O Doherty. They have one aim, to stick whatever sort of dirt they dream of to the establishment. They don't care about the fools they use in the process for their aim. What they did on Saturday was jeopardise public health with crowds of people, rammed together and not a mask in sight. God help them if they were around with the introduction of seat belts - would they be speeding around the roads shouting about their human rights not to wear a seat belt?

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Actually surprised it took so long for this kind of post to show up on this thread. Yeah sure nonsense, hysteria, fear.. whatever makes you happy. Sick of reading this nonsense! I can follow measures and get on with life no problem, didn't stop working since this covid sh1tstorm started. This kind of attitude in this particular post is exactly what drives cases up and leave useless government to deal with it. So everything is mess by now and everything takes forever to deal with. If people comply, if companies comply, with the most basic rules to limit the spread, we would be somewhere else by now..

The majority of people have complied for months now.
    The virus won't go away if we hide under the bed. It will just wait until we come back out.

At some point we'll have to accept that a small number will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

owlbethere wrote: »
    would they be speeding around the roads shouting about their human rights not to wear a seat belt?

Jesus, don’t put ideas in their heads.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What about the all the businesses that never even had a chance to comply with any rules, because they never opened in the first place. Its easy say all this when your still working full time, what about the thousands who are out of work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you volunteering to go first?

niallo27 wrote: »
    What about the all the businesses that never even had a chance to comply with any rules, because they never opened in the first place. Its easy say all this when your still working full time, what about the thousands who are out of work.

You can thank to people or businesses who doesn't comply.

The majority of people have complied for months now.
    The virus won't go away if we hide under the bed. It will just wait until we come back out.

Looks like majority wasn't big enough, otherwise numbers for new infections would be somewhere else. I've never said to keep hiding somewhere. No need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I can follow measures and get on with life no problem, didn't stop working since this covid sh1tstorm started.
    This kind of statement is as bad, or worse, than the Gemma-style of waffle.

I similarly had no personal interruption in my work or income as a result of the pandemic. But, unlike you, I'm not in denial about the many hundreds of thousands who are still impacted, or in denial about the collapse in hospital activity impacting on folk with many ailments, or in denial about the impact on the development of children.

The protesters are the kind of people that rational folk don't want to be associated with. But I wouldn't be entertaining equally nonsensical statements by people who seem to think large portions of the world can be brought to a halt forever, just because of a relative minor risk that they feel personally exposed to.

I similarly had no personal interruption in my work or income as a result of the pandemic. But, unlike you, I'm not in denial about the many hundreds of thousands who are still impacted, or in denial about the collapse in hospital activity impacting on folk with many ailments, or in denial about the impact on the development of children.

The protesters are the kind of people that rational folk don't want to be associated with. But I wouldn't be entertaining equally nonsensical statements by people who seem to think large portions of the world can be brought to a halt forever, just because of a relative minor risk that they feel personally exposed to.

I think you misunderstood my post a bit. Or I wasn't clear enough for you. I'm up for keeping basic measures in action and make sure peeps comply. I'm not advocating any lockdowns, or postponing any hospital procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Exactly this, if you disagree with any of the restrictions you are automatically grouped with the nutjobs yesterday.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly this, if you disagree with any of the restrictions you are automatically grouped with the nutjobs yesterday.

Lol guys I didn't say anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

So, what's the main problem here, the fact that they marched or what they are marching about?

If it's the latter, surely there is very little to be outraged about, it's not as if this is going to grow into some movement that eventually convinces vast swathes of people to stop wearing masks

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

This is interesting from WHO just 18 days ago. It goes against a lot of what we are seeing/hearing here.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1291410066839658499

Medical masks (those blue disposable ones) - should be worn by health care workers, those with covid 19 symptoms and those who take care of those with suspected covid 19. Where physical distancing of 1m can't be obtained, they should be worn by over 60s and those with underlying health issues.

Fabric masks - should be worn by those where 1m distancing can't be carried out, such as social care workers, cashiers and servers.

So, a lot of people are wearing the blue disposable ones in shops/restaurants and they shouldn't be wearing them at all according to the WHO.

And then the shop workers should be wearing fabric masks - I haven't seen any staff member wear a mask yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

owlbethere wrote: »
    They don't care about the fools they use in the process for their aim. What they did on Saturday was jeopardise public health with crowds of people, rammed together and not a mask in sight.

Just like the politically backed BLM ‘movement’ and their worldwide ‘demonstrations’?

Don’t forget, owlbethere, many of those BLM protests took place during official worldwide lockdowns earlier in this crisis. And they had far greater turn-outs too. Nothing much was said or highlighted by that, through so called mainstream channels.

If you can’t verbalise (even to yourself) where your red line is with continuous state intervention, your unquestioning support for government imposed lockdowns, guidelines, initiatives, etc, is as valid as those ‘anti-mask’ protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

I support wearing masks, and don't support breaking of restrictions. So, I don't have much time for protests like this. But, what is the deal with the Minister for Justice calling for one of the speakers at it to be kicked out of her job as a Senior Counsel on the International Protection Appeals Tribunal?

Is there any particular reason for this. Has she actually broken any laws? Should that be established first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

sibersha wrote: »
    I am absolutely astonished at how many people attended this protest and at how many support their "cause" on twitter.

Every country has their fair share of idiots but this conspiracy nonsense seems to be spreading at a very worrying rate.

This site has its fair share of these anti masker the virus isn't that bad idiots.

Having said that I'm glad we live in a country where these twits are allowed to express their opinions freely

plodder wrote: »
    I support wearing masks, and don't support breaking of restrictions. So, I don't have much time for protests like this. But, what is the deal with the Minister for Justice calling for one of the speakers at it to be kicked out of her job as a Senior Counsel on the International Protection Appeals Tribunal?

Is there any particular reason for this. Has she actually broken any laws? Should that be established first?

I support you wearing masks and your choice to do so.

Did you have much time for worldwide BLM looting and protesting, incidentally? Or did it ‘not concern you’?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This site has its fair share of these anti masker the virus isn't that bad idiots.

Having said that I'm glad we live in a country where these twits are allowed to express their opinions freely

Read and watch my post early in this thread, your calling the wrong people idiots, an idiot to me is someone easily lead.
    I'm not anti mask but i'm 100% anti using them incorrect and unnecessary mandates that allow the Government to put someone in jail for 6mts for grabbing a liter of milk.
    Now the dail is coming back tomorrow to give the guards permission to bust into your house to see of there are more than 6 people, wake the hell up, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What I don't get is if you are going to have this sort of protest, maybe choose a bloody area with the least amount of cases instead of choosing an area with the highest amount of cases in the country, maybe have the protest in Leitrim rather than Dublin. Having the march in Dublin will only exacerbate the situation but of course its probably for the maximum media and social media exposure. But feck it, I won't be taking part of this and I love crowds, music festivals and the like, but I'll take the year or two out of these situations until if is safe to do so.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

One thing I've learned from all this is anyone who has an Irish flag in the Twitter handle, is a f*cking idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

What I don't get is if you are going to have this sort of protest, maybe choose a bloody area with the least amount of cases instead of choosing an area with the highest amount of cases in the country,. .

All the better to highlight how the sheeple need to wake up to just how harmless this Plandemic is.

What I don't get is if you are going to have this sort of protest, maybe choose a bloody area with the least amount of cases instead of choosing an area with the highest amount of cases in the country, maybe have the protest in Leitrim rather than Dublin. Having the march in Dublin will only exacerbate the situation but of course its probably for the maximum media and social media exposure. But feck it, I won't be taking part of this and I love crowds, music festivals and the like, but I'll take the year or two out of these situations until if is safe to do so.

It has never been safe. There is always a possibility of catching colds, flu's, swine flu, chest infections and even developing pneumonia at times.

There might never be a vaccine for Covid. Even if there is, when will we actually get it? Will it vaccinate against all strains?

There will always be plenty of risk in life. It is up to each person to take responsibility for themselves.

Now the dail is coming back tomorrow to give the guards permission to bust into your house to see of there are more than 6 people, wake the hell up, please.
    That's not why the Dáil is being recalled.
    3xh wrote:
    Did you have much time for worldwide BLM looting and protesting, incidentally? Or did it ‘not concern you’?
    What the blazes has that got to do with this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MM was on the radio this morning and that's what he said they will be doing. I was listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

O'Callaghan himself is an idiotic and egocentric type of individual. I doubt if he actually gives a damn about people not wearing masks. All he is trying to do is draw attention to himself, as usual, by preaching to what he regards as the great unwashed and uneducated masses in that patronising, holier than thou manner he possesses.

What the blazes has that got to do with this question?

You said you support wearing masks and don’t support the breaking of restrictions.

You then said, ‘So, I don’t have much time for protests like this.....’ (the anti-mask protest in Dublin, 22/08/2020) as though it wasn’t a worthy protest or something.

I was asking did you think the same of the synchronised BLM show around the world during what were more publicised lockdown periods earlier in the pandemic, etc.

The point regarding BLM protests is actually less about you personally, tbh and more about how they were normalised and supported in the media whilst in direct contravention of worldwide government guidelines regarding social distancing, masks, staying at home unless your journey is essential etc. at that time.
    People here no doubt supported the said BLM gatherings with their black twitter squares and tweets denouncing Trump’s ‘racism’ yet will 100% support the Irish government’s ‘mandatory’ quarantine, face mask use, etc. It’s a compete disconnect in thinking by many a person here in this country.

I was highlighting that. I was highlighting how it’s ok to protest in support of an unrelated political movement in one’s country yet gathering to protest against enforced face mask use is seen as the height of stupidity etc.

Indeed, but free speech doesn't mean a whole lot if the state can threaten your livelihood for expressing it. I've never heard of this "Una McGurk" person, but it must be unprecedented for both the Min for Justice and the Taoiseach to call for you to lose your job for speaking at a rally ...
    RTE wrote:
    The Taoiseach said he does not believe that the position taken by Una McGurk SC, a member of the International Protection Appeals Tribunal (IPAT) is "compatible with membership" of the tribunal.

Micheál Martin was speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne after Ms McGurk appeared at a rally in Dublin at the weekend, to protest against the Covid-19 advice on wearing face masks.

He said he was "disturbed" by the protest, at which he said the language used, the use of the tricolour, and the notion that "this is a whole conspiracy" is "inexplicable, dangerous nonsense."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Una McGurk SC spoke at a rally that also had the speakers from the Irish Freedom Party (spit) which is anti-immigration. There's a likely conflict of interest there.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mcentee-urges-appeals-tribunal-to-act-urgently-on-mcgurk-s-presence-at-rally-1.4337050

• Advertisement

Una McGurk SC spoke at a rally that also had the speakers from the Irish Freedom Party (spit) which is anti-immigration. There's a likely conflict of interest there.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mcentee-urges-appeals-tribunal-to-act-urgently-on-mcgurk-s-presence-at-rally-1.4337050
    But the rally had nothing to do with immigration ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement