Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New guidelines/restrictions 18 August - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Public servant also. Last week I was working in a department operating on a roster system for attendance in the office and was constantly being told by the boss "there is a push for a full return to the office so tell your staff it's coming down the line soon" much to everyone's dismay. Started in a new department this week and was told that once I collect a laptop I won't be back in physical office until 2021!
    I completely appreciate when there is a public facing role or work that can only be done on site, but there has definitely been a bull-headed approach to a RTW in many offices. The lack of trust in staff and the unwillingness to hear peoples' concerns really shone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

I work in a Govt Dept and we have been told no one in office unless essential. This is situation for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

speak to your union immediately. If your colleague is high risk how is she even in the work place. What sector are you in??

Public service! They all try to protect themselves by avoiding busy areas (like the staff canteen). They asked the manager could they work from home and explained how they could do it, based on how the other departments were handling it.

Most of the departments had half the office in every day. Where people couldn't work from home at all, they split the staff in three groups and assigned hours, so some worked from 6am-2pm, some 9-5, and the rest 3-10 (or something like that). Then another department managed it with everyone doing three extra long (12/13 hour) shifts a week and having four days off.

We were told by our team leaders to expect the latter but our manager refused and insisted everyone continue as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

MrsBean wrote: »
    Public servant also. Last week I was working in a department operating on a roster system for attendance in the office and was constantly being told by the boss "there is a push for a full return to the office so tell your staff it's coming down the line soon" much to everyone's dismay. Started in a new department this week and was told that once I collect a laptop I won't be back in physical office until 2021!
    I completely appreciate when there is a public facing role or work that can only be done on site, but there has definitely been a bull-headed approach to a RTW in many offices. The lack of trust in staff and the unwillingness to hear peoples' concerns really shone through.

Wow we got laptops delivered to our homes along with other equipment. We can also have our desktops and chairs delivered to our homes.

Things may change now given the recent advice but seriously talk to your Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭obi604

In regard to gyms- does not make sense, If the max number of people that can exercise outdoors is 15. How can gyms have 50 or so indoors?

Or am I missing something.

• Advertisement

Public service! They all try to protect themselves by avoiding busy areas (like the staff canteen). They asked the manager could they work from home and explained how they could do it, based on how the other departments were handling it.

Most of the departments had half the office in every day.

Where people couldn't work from home at all, they split the staff in three groups and assigned hours, so some worked from 6am-2pm, some 9-5, and the rest 3-10 (or something like that). Then another department managed it with everyone doing three extra long (12/13 hour) shifts a week and having four days off.

We were told by our team leaders to expect the latter but our manager refused and insisted everyone continue as normal.

hold on...access to your canteen should be controlled. It is not up to you to control it. If we ever get back to my office it is all timed breaks etc.

Most of the departments had half the office in every day. Where people couldn't work from home at all, they split the staff in three groups and assigned hours, so some worked from 6am-2pm, some 9-5, and the rest 3-10 (or something like that). Then another department managed it with everyone doing three extra long (12/13 hour) shifts a week and having four days off.

ok maybe areas work differently but why is this up to your manager...your manager isnt your employer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

obi604 wrote: »
    In regard to gyms- does not make sense, If the max number of people that can exercise outdoors is 15. How can gyms have 50 or so indoors?

What your missing in is a proper government.

It sums it up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

Do you want to shut the gyms too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

AMKC wrote: »
    I actually think the caretaker Government and Leo Varadkar were doing a better job advising us what we should not be doing than this new Government under Micheal Martin is currently just giving an unneeded press conference just to boast his own ego.

Leo Varadkar sits around the same table as Micheal Martin and it's a collective decision as to what happens. Whatever you can throw at Micheal you can equally throw at Leo. As for boosting his own ego...look no futher than Leo who has no problem dropping quotes from movies in his press conferences (yes his speech writers included them...but Leo still read them out).

FF and FG are 2 cheeks of the same ar$e...remember that. And the Greens are just useless. Always have been and always will be. And no I'm not a SF supporter either.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

laoisfan wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar sits around the same table as Micheal Martin and it's a collective decision as to what happens. Whatever you can throw at Micheal you can equally throw at Leo. As for boosting his own ego...look no futher than Leo who has no problem dropping quotes from movies in his press conferences (yes his speech writers included them...but Leo still read them out).

FF and FG are 2 cheeks of the same ar$e...remember that. And the Greens are just useless. Always have been and always will be. And no I'm not a SF supporter either.

Don't take the Leo's name in vain. You'll upset a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

We have an upcoming 50th birthday and planned to go for a meal in a local hotel with family. There was to be 19 attending from 4 households. All family and have been in each other's limited contacts anyway.

With the recent restrictions it appears we would not be able to gather indoors as we're more than 6 people.

I contacted the hotel this evening to cancel but they're telling us no need to cancel... it's fine. We point out the new restrictions but they say no it's fine as we'll be in a seperate room of the restaurant. They said our numbers of near 20 are fine and they're pushing for us to keep the booking.

Have I misread the restrictions??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In pubs or hotel etc rules are different.

The restrictions apply at home basically.

I'd stick with the plans and just follow guidelines.

In pubs or hotel etc rules are different.

We're trying to make sense of the latest restrictions from the Gov site.;

Restaurants and cafes (including pubs that serve food and hotel restaurants)
    events, parties or gatherings of more than 6 people indoors or 15 people outdoors are not allowed in these settings

... but we're being told this doesn't apply?

The hotels federation were saying today that the limit is 50, I thought that was just for weddings.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

LostDuck wrote: »
    We're trying to make sense of the latest restrictions from the Gov site.;

Restaurants and cafes (including pubs that serve food and hotel restaurants)
    events, parties or gatherings of more than 6 people indoors or 15 people outdoors are not allowed in these settings

... but we're being told this doesn't apply?

The hotels federation were saying today that the limit is 50, I thought that was just for weddings.

Under "restaurants" it says:
    maximum of 6 seated at a table
    no formal or informal events or parties should be organised in these premises

---

I thought they said the 50 was for weddings only too. But the Taoiseach also said the message is clear, so...

Polar101 wrote: »
    no formal or informal events or parties should be organised in these premises

That's what we thought too, but hotel says that's not the case. They're pushing us for a deposit for the booking too! I think we'll have to cancel but really surprised by the push-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Kids soft play can have 50 as well. It’s a joke.

Not sure if it's been discussed or not but look at schools going back.... Pods of 6.... They're still in a class of around 30 with 1 teacher..... Basically they just have to stick together and can't be moved around.... So say kid is been bullied or just don't get on with one at their table well.... Hard luck you are stuck till this all ends.....

They must sit in the same chair each day.... No moving and if they get the bus they are told to sit in the same seat each day..... Laughable these are kids.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Not sure if it's been discussed or not but look at schools going back.... Pods of 6.... They're still in a class of around 30 with 1 teacher..... Basically they just have to stick together and can't be moved around.... So say kid is been bullied or just don't get on with one at their table well.... Hard luck you are stuck till this all ends.....

They must sit in the same chair each day.... No moving and if they get the bus they are told to sit in the same seat each day..... Laughable these are kids.....

I wondered about this too. Last week my kids teachers asked us to ask our children who they would call “friends” in their respective classes.

I presume the results of all the kids preferences are put in some kind of algorithm to dictate best groupings of the kids to reduce any potential frictions.

It certainly put my mind at ease as it showed me the school is taking this issue seriously and they desire smooth social transition in this differing environment .

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    I wondered about this too. Last week my kids teachers asked us to ask our children who they would call “friends” in their respective classes.

I presume the results of all the kids preferences are put in some kind of algorithm to dictate best groupings of the kids to reduce any potential frictions.

It certainly put my mind at ease as it showed me the school is taking this issue seriously and they desire smooth social transition in this differing environment .

They're kids.... They won't stay away from others and hygiene well do I need to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

They're kids.... They won't stay away from others and hygiene well do I need to go there

Excuse me. Your reply is a non sequitur to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

LostDuck wrote: »
    That's what we thought too, but hotel says that's not the case. They're pushing us for a deposit for the booking too! I think we'll have to cancel but really surprised by the push-back.

I'd go ahead with it, seeing as you'd be in each others close contacts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hi Guys,

I’m
    Planning a small staycation for the end of the month. From a quick scan of the DFA website, it seems to state that there is no quarantine required for those returning from Northern Ireland but there is quarantine required for those returning from the UK. Am I correct on that?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Am I right in thinking that groups of more than 6 people are not allowed in restaurants? My understanding is a max of 6 people from up to 3 households.

I know restaurants can't be expected to police things, but surely a fairly big red flag is taking a booking of more than 6 people?

This evening I've come across 3 different groups of people that have bookings in different rsstaurants for 8+ people, no questions asked.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

6 people per table so they can accommodate more people if they're split across multiple tables.

ixoy wrote: »
    6 people per table so they can accommodate more people if they're split across multiple tables.

How do they know how many tables they will need if they don't know from how many households the people are from?

If 8 people, all from different households, presume that means minimum 3 tables, no more than 3 households per table.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How do they know how many tables they will need if they don't know from how many households the people are from?

If 8 people, all from different households, presume that means minimum 3 tables, no more than 3 households per table.
    They're not going to check if you're from different households though. Never been asked so far. That's up to the people booking to take some responsibility.

ixoy wrote: »
    They're not going to check if you're from different households though. Never been asked so far. That's up to the people booking to take some responsibility.

Agreed. So you think that when taking a booking for 8, there might be some discussion about number of tables. But it hasn't happened in my expereince. Group of 8 last weekend and a single table. While I don't expect restaurants to police household origin, a table of 8 is just not allowed, and restaurants really shouldn't facilitate it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Advertisement