Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete bathroom renovation - Part Deux, the en suite

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

awec wrote: »
    I really like the colours. Nice to have some dark rooms, en-suite perfect for it.

It’s a personal thing. I know it is not to everyone’s taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

awec wrote: »
    I really like the colours. Nice to have some dark rooms, en-suite perfect for it.

I agree, this notion of small rooms having to be painted in bright white in order to make the space seem bigger is outdated. If you've a small bathroom its always going to feel small no matter what and white paint wont change that. Its not like white paint has some sort of magical psychological powers that makes an obviously small and narrow room bigger. So better to paint it in a shade you like even if that is dark.

Also bathrooms are what Id describe as a temporary room, its not like we spend all our days sitting in them, its typically a few minutes to brush your teeth or to take a dump. So darker colours are actually a good idea for a room that you're not going to be in that long anyway. Match them with good lighting and its a great combination IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ObserverOFlife

Didnt neccessarily say white. The dulux light & space range has a luminance in the paint.
    I used a cream version in my dark north facing hallway & landing & it does actually trick me sometimes into thinking theres a light on!
    Theres a beautiful glow to it & definitely a luminance coming through.

But the project colour here is beautiful & exactly what the person wanted, that's what makes the world go round !!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2011 wrote: »
    It’s a personal thing. I know it is not to everyone’s taste.

Yea. I have my home office painted colourtrend inkwell, and it’s a north facing room, so it’s pretty dark . But I love it. I have hue lighting so you can make the room feel really inviting and cosy.

Wouldn’t do it everywhere but darker colours are getting more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You've done a brilliant job, and I agree with taking out the shower, a tiny shower is a pain, trying to dry/dress in a tiny space is worse.

My only reservation - and I saw it done in another project, its probably not too much of an issue in this case - is setting the sink back into the countertop, with no toe recess at the bottom of the doors. So you have to lean into the sink, which is not too bad if you only wash your hands in there, but anything else - teeth, face, means you are leaning in.

Anyway that's just a picky point, lovely job!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

looksee wrote: »
    My only reservation - and I saw it done in another project, its probably not too much of an issue in this case - is setting the sink back into the countertop, with no toe recess at the bottom of the doors. So you have to lean into the sink, which is not too bad if you only wash your hands in there, but anything else - teeth, face, means you are leaning in.

Yes it is a fair point.

I really wanted to make best use of the space available, so when I got a present of the countertop I decided to use it. I considered installing the sink closer to the front for exactly the reason you gave (leaning in), however I decided against this as positioning the sink dead centre of the stone means maximum strength. Black granite like any stone is very brittle. I was paranoid that me cutting the stone (for the hole for the sink) or someone standing on it (say to change a light bulb) would crack it. I had to make a number of compromises.

Advertisement