Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete bathroom renovation - Part Deux, the en suite

Options
  • 15-08-2020 12:50pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So following my bathroom renovation I moved on to the renovation of my en suite. This is a very, very small room, only 86 cm wide and 210 cm long! This did not stop the builder from installing a shower, sink and toilet in it, which in my opinion defied logic. This resulted in the room being incredibly cramped, the standard plumbing was terrible with the sink waste installed over the floor. I hated it so much one day a few months ago I just took a lump hammer to it to start the demolition exercise. These photos show the shower cubicle:

50228020243_60ca8d8631.jpg

50228020278_61c858b64b.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As this room is so small I decided that I would not put a shower in it. I would simply put an "insert sink" set in a stone countertop at one end and a toilet at the other end. As there was no shower I decided on a wooden floor as this would be warm under foot.

This photo shows where the shower used to be. I had to smash holes in the floor to first fix the plumbing. I joined the new 1 1/4" sink waste to the old shower 1 ½ " waste pipe under the floor. On the right is the door to the master bedroom.

50228039618_a364f7a1fa.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This photo looks in the other direction of this small room, here we see where the toilet will go. However I want to centre it on the wall first, this will mean moving the waste pipe.

50228902847_4627794008.jpg

At this stage the room is completely gutted. The next task was to install a new triple glazed frosted glass PVC window. This cost €320. An easy job as the plasterboard is now completely removed.

50228064258_92c8381212.jpg

So as luck would have it my (wealthy) friend got a new kitchen. He offered me a section of the old kitchen black granite countertop. Step one was to offer it up to see how it would work. We cut this with a 9" grinder with a diamond tipped blade. The new plywood floor can also be seen in this photo.

50228075658_9ff4040987.jpg

The plan is to build a cupboard with sliding doors under this.

Step 2 is to cut a hole in this for the insert sink. To do this I had to mark it with tape and then cut with the aforementioned grinder:

50228937972_c02f3ff918.jpg

50228075588_eb61563280.jpg

50228075483_8c87656d42.jpg

......and then it is a short step to a working sink:

50228718266_bc6fd59175.jpg

Note: Sink secured in place with black colored Tec7. This was applied in to the gap between the sink and the countertop (underneath).

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

The slabbing begins:

50228985297_650a090187.jpg

...and the under sink cupboard starts to take shape:

50228985332_9ce3fbc96e.jpg

This shows the other (window) end of this small room:

50228765706_03cdc36846.jpg

I opted to go for the moisture proof plasterboard. It only costs a little more but is far stronger.

Under sink cupboard finished with sliding doors and plastering begins:

50228765681_e5b8748153.jpg

This shows where the new flooring meets the new cupboard and new oak door saddle:

50229042897_ace6444dbe.jpg

The skirting board will cover the gaps around the edges of the flooring. This new generation of laminate is very robust and easy to install as it clicks together. I applied some glue as I am old fashioned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Nice going here 2011, you have been secretly working on this one:pac:, coincidently I have a room of similar size with a shower in it too:)

James 007 wrote: »
    Nice going here 2011, you have been secretly working on this one:pac:, coincidently I have a room of similar size with a shower in it too:)

This took around 4 months doing the odd 1/2 day here and there.

This is a low budget bathroom! I over spent on the last one so I decided to do this on the cheap.

Costs were approximately:
    Sink: €80
    Tap: €45
    Plywood: €50
    Other wood: €60
    Plumbing bits and bobs: €50
    Toilet: €420
    Paint: €80
    Plaster: €50
    Flooring: €110
    Bits & bobs to complete cupboard: €70
    Countertop & splash back: Free
    Mirror: Free
    Window: €320
    Little mirrors: €80
    Lights: Free
    Smart bulb x 2: €30
    Poster: €15

• Advertisement

Plastering completed and cupboard completed:

50228920708_952ca74342.jpg

Toilet installed:

50229563136_03a1cf6fa1.jpg

I decided to continue the same grey colour used on the cupboard fro the skirting and door. As my other bathroom is white I decided to go for something very different, graphite grey on the walls and ceiling. I saw this dark look done in a hotel I stayed in and liked it (also good for hangovers).

50229566701_5556f7804c.jpg

I saw these small mirrors in Home Street Home and thought they looked cool, so I added them. I think they look well on the dark wall:

50229785162_b61f0ce63c.jpg

I then thought that the door looked very plain so I wallpapered a poster onto it. I haven't even seen the movie "Casablanca" I just felt that it worked with the mirrors on the opposite wall and I liked the colours :)

50229566456_2b0c1d2cfb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I am in awe and envy of your industry, OP - lovely job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You’d save a fortune not using cement board and just get the any wet areas fibreglassed. But nice work all the same.
    Are 240v extractor fans a danger?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You’d save a fortune not using cement board and just get the any wet areas fibreglassed. But nice work all the same.
    Are 240v extractor fans a danger?

Thank you.
    I didn't need cement board or fibreglass as there is no bath or shower in this room. The mains voltage fan is placed outside any zone, so no it is not a danger. Perhaps these questions were supposed yo be aimed at this thread?

Nice job.
    Where did you get the window ?
    What's involved with repair the outside render ?
    I've one I'm planning to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice job. But I wouldn't have taken he shower out. Personal opinion but it's devalued the house removing a wash facility. I'd have done either of two.

Put in a sink toilet that's a sink with toiler below common on the continent.

Or wet roomed the whole thing and removed the doors of the shower.

Either way you did your design and very good work nice one and thanks for sharing.

Nice job.

Thanks.
    Where did you get the window ?

Here:

https://www.archerswindows.ie/

I fitted them myself. Very simple.
    What's involved with repair the outside render ?

Nothing as no damage was done to the render. This is because I fitted the windows from the inside. I sealed with silicone around the edge, that’s all.

2011 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I didn't need cement board or fibreglass as there is no bath or shower in this room. The mains voltage fan is placed outside any zone, so no it is not a danger. Perhaps these questions were supposed yo be aimed at this thread?

Yes!
    So is an extractor fan, placed inside a shower a danger?

• Advertisement

Yes!
    So is an extractor fan, placed inside a shower a danger?

No, it is a 12 volt unit designed specifically for this application. The transformer is in the attic space well above outside all zoned areas.

Edit: I also mounted it very high. Not due to safety concerns but for effectiveness.

BTW: You are absolutely right to question this.

No, it is a 12 volt unit designed specifically for this application. The transformer is in the attic space well above outside all zoned areas.

Edit: I also mounted it very high. Not due to safety concerns but for effectiveness.

BTW: You are absolutely right to question this.

And is a 240v fan deemed dangerous inside a shower cubicle, regardless of the waterproof rating?

And is a 240v fan deemed dangerous inside a shower cubicle, regardless of the waterproof rating?

There is no simple answer to this but this may help:

1) Bathrooms are divided into zones. Different electrical devices are permitted in different zones. This is explained fully in the National Rules for Electrical Installations ET101. The new version of this will be enforced in the near future but essentially the requirements remain the same for bathrooms.

2) All electrical devices installed in bathrooms should be protected by a residual current device.

3) Bathrooms are deemed high risk from an electrical perspective. Due to this only a registered electrical contractor is permitted to carry out work in a bathroom.

Costs were approximately:
    Sink: €80
    Tap: €45
    Plywood: €50
    Other wood: €60
    Plumbing bits and bobs: €50
    Toilet: €420
    Paint: €80
    Plaster: €50
    Flooring: €110
    Bits & bobs to complete cupboard: €70
    Countertop & splash back: Free
    Mirror: Free
    Window: €320
    Little mirrors: €80
    Lights: Free
    Smart bulb x 2: €30
    Poster: €15

Add to the above list:

Extract fan: free, reuse existing
    Sonoff smart switch for extract fan: €15
    Smart lamps (IKEA) x 2 (these work with Philips Hue): €30
    Philips Hue wireless motion detector (for above smart lamps): €33
    Insulation, Rockwool: €55
    Plaster board: €200
    Tec 7 x 2: €24
    Skirting board: €30

Add to the above list:

Extract fan: free, reuse existing
    Sonoff smart switch for extract fan: €15
    Smart lamps (IKEA) x 2 (these work with Philips Hue): €30
    Philips Hue wireless motion detector (for above smart lamps): €33
    Insulation, Rockwool: €55
    Plaster board: €200
    Tec 7 x 2: €24
    Skirting board: €30

Fused switch for extractor ?..

listermint wrote: »
    Fused switch for extractor ?..

Nope, it’s on a lighting circuit.

Nope, it’s on a lighting circuit.

Thought it has to have a Fused switch regardless, no ?

Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ObserverOFlife

Fair play on your project. Great satisfaction in carrying out the work yourself.
    Everyone to themselves, but you went for a very dark colour for such a small space!?
    Personally would've went for a dulux light & space range colour.
    Also RE. the toilet pipe, you could have gotten an offset multiwick to have the toilet centered rather than having to move the pipe. Saying that I'd be OCD myself about having pipe centered !!

Fair play on your project. Great satisfaction in carrying out the work yourself.

Yes, I enjoy that feeling. The only thing I didn’t do was plaster.
    Everyone to themselves, but you went for a very dark colour for such a small space!?

Yes it is dark but I wanted that as I was copying an en suite from a hotel I had stayed in years ago. Dark is really nice on the eyes late at night. I programmed the smart lights to come on automatically when I enter. They come on dim at night and bright at other times.

However even if I painted the room white it would be dark as the window is small, west facing that looks at the neighbours wall and the room is tiny (fractionally over 2m long). Besides everyone has white rooms, I wanted something different. So I decided to "embrace" the darkness, just to be different :) I also like the contrast of the pristine white of the toilet and sink against the dark colours.

50239076858_f7ac2d912c_o.jpg
    Also RE. the toilet pipe, you could have gotten an offset multiwick to have the toilet centered rather than having to move the pipe.

I don’t think that would have worked. I would need too much of on offset within too short a distance. The toilet seals against the wall:

50238985743_6d694cebdb.jpg

It also had to move a lot to be centred:
    50229566536_ce51dbc8cf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really like the colours. Nice to have some dark rooms, en-suite perfect for it.

Advertisement