Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Glad I'm not the only one.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah May hasn't passed April yet for me but I'd expect it to happen by Tuesday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

May has been poor this year in comparison to the same month in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

I've been monitoring the solar radiation (Cork) since I installed a modest Solar thermal system 13 years ago and the solar radiation changes very little from year to year, what does change is the amount of sunshine hours. For example May1st to May25th (inclusive) 2022 gave 122.8kwh & the same period this year gave 121.9kwh so you might have produced around ~ 80.5kwh per 1.0KWp (523Kwh/6.5Kwp) for those two periods. I was away for a week last year in mid May but May1st to May 18th 2023 gave 88.8Kwh and this year 97.07 so actually ~ 9% more, the amount of sunshine is what really drives my thermal panels, I suppose the pv panels are somewhat similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Im less than month with Solar. Based on projected output May was down to be the best month of year. Has it just been a poor month in relative terms for solar vs what one might expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

You might like to post your full days output (for today) in the morning, also a indication of where you live and your installed pv power and the orientation of the panels, can then see if your system is performing reasonably ok since we can see todays solar radiation, tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Agreed, the general solar radiation doesn't change much from year to year, and hence why sites like PVGIS can give a good approximation of your output…. but May 2023 was an outlier. Here's my stats for the month of May 2023 - which was a stellar month.

Forget the "12 Months ago" figure and the % increase Year-on-year as I'd installed 3x panels extra, so it's not a fair like-for-like. What is important is the generation figure of 775Kwh verses PVGIS's 670Kwh. So I generated 15% more than the long term expectation was saying.

Compared that to this month (so far)

Average is well down. I've 6 days (today included) to generate ~170Kwh to match the PVGIS. It's possible, but unlikely unless we get a solid week of sunshine. No, May 2024 looks like it will be down on the averages.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

May 22 was very good, a lot of Ireland was or was nearly in "drought"

23 wasn't great, and 24 isn't shaping up to being any better!

Although a few days of good clear skies can really change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

A good start turned meh

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5 uponontheroof

Thats really good , you must have a serious amount if solar panels to produce that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Generated 734kwh in May 23, which was my best month of the year. With 4 days to go, I've only generated 512kwh this month

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We have 8kWp and just hit the 500kWh for the month of may yesterday. There were a couple of 40kWh+ days but also a couple of sub 10kWh days with no sun all day. A weird may.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭StormForce13

For occasional visitors (like me), those figures would be more interesting if you - and others - told us a bit about the system that you have!

So far this month my west-facing 10 panel 4.15kW System has generated 452 kWh. I'm in West Cork near Bantry.

The best day so far was 10 May when total yield was 27 kWh.

Post edited by StormForce13 on

My system has just hit 390kwh for the month. April hit 397kwh so should exceed it but probably gonna be a long way off the PVGIS predicted 460ishkwh unless we get a few cracking days to finish out the month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

May 24 is poor, worse than May 23 which was slightly better than May 22 which was way worse than May 21

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Apologies, 12 panels, 4.3kwh system, south facing in the Soggy Southeast

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

This is our first year with solar, 16 panels and 6.96 kWp.

our total monthly yield is 738kWh as of this morning.

3 days to go, would be great to hit 800+ if the weather improves today and tomorrw. Friday is supposed to be a scorcher.

Yeah - concur with you there on Friday being a belter! According to my little app, it's reporting a forecast yield of 40.9Kwh

There's always a little variance as you can see above , but for context …..my all time high since install on 3rd Jun 2023 was 40.9Kwh. Hopefully it hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭theboringfox

That is fantastic. I hit only 620kw. Missing first 2 days of month as not installed yet but well behind your total and I only have one panel less. 9 south and 6 east. I feel like it has been sunnier in the evenings and decision to put the 6 east and not west has hit me.

Met Eireann update the forecasts every 6 hrs. (04:00, 10:00, 16:00 & 22:00) The forecast for Friday got bumped a little and my estimates now place this at 43.6kWh! My previous all-time high was 40.9kWh, so a rare event day indeed.

Could be all-time record for many people in the Dublin area - if it holds true. If….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Gerald H

Hi,

I’m in the north east. I have a 5.16kw system, (12 panels) facing South-South East. The system is split into two strings (String 1 has 4 panels & String 2 has 8 panels).

I’ve averaged 10KWh per day during May. I know May hasn’t been particularly sunny so that isn’t helping to see how productive the panels actually are at the moment.

I have a question about the voltage output from each string. Each string roughly averages about 110v-120v output per string, even on sunny days. I read that the string output is generally calculated by multiplying the panel output voltage x no. of panels. If this is the case, String 2 seems to be underperforming as I would have thought it should be putting out over 200v on average at least at peak times in good conditions. I've included an image. The 10th of May was sunny and at 12:15 there wasn't a cloud to be seen, and all 12 panels were getting the same amount of sun.

Am I correct in my limited understanding? I’d appreciate any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

Why isn't MPPT1 showing anything? Maybe an issue with the string?

I have 2 strings and it looks like this.

MPPT1 242.2V 6.4A

MPPT2 285.6V 3.8A

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yes, you have more data showing. I don't think I picked enough options to display. I took another screenshot of the Solis App. to show the amps for both strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

May has been a shocker. Only in the last few minutes have I gone past April's total of 684kWh.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

386kWh so far this month which is 111kWh shy of the 497kWh from May 2023.

With Tomorrow and the rest of today hope to get it to 410kWh.for this May.

Ithe lack of sun and wet days are showing as my pea and French bean seeds are not taking like before.

Had at times today bursts of up to 4.56kw when the sun was shining.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

11.8kwh, hopefully tomorrow loves up to the hype and May may not be terrible.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Next few days should be good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Not gonna be any records in Dublin today I'd say. Pretty cloudy. A decent day but not really what was promised.

Advertisement