Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Does anyone know if you sign up for one of those plans with free electricity on one of the weekend days what happens with solar electricity produced on those days? Is it all exported?

The price on the other days is pretty extortionate but just wondering what would happen on the “free” day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

One thing has nothing to do with the other. If you have PV on Saturday it's still going to produce... but if you have free import that day you just use as much daytime expensive units asyou want. Be sure to check if its capped like unlimited broadband is!

I don't like free saturdays... seems a con to me but also forces bad habits in usage one day a week... does nothing for the environment etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I guess I won’t be going for that one so, and not many of the other smart plans are too appealing with solar generators trying to max usage during the bright hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭micks_address

The other problem have with that is who wants to spend Saturday washing and drying clothes? Luckily I work from home a lot so plan to coordinate the washing machine and dishwasher with the sunshine when feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭DC999

I'd be very sure the energy companies have profiled this - bit like offering unlimited hols in companies and research shows people often take less hols. Or like gym membership. I reckon people hammer it for first X weeks and then drops off to be largely a normal day - or never for me with gym membership :). And as others have said, do you really, really wanna keep all the crappy chores for your weekend? I'll keep doing them during the week thanks while wfh.

I'd +1 @yankinlk that it's not good as doesn't get us to watch + reduce what we use. I could leave all my heaters on all day and have the windows open. Or use the tumble dryer to dry a full weeks clothes (they are a monster on power).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And it's limited to something like 100kwh a month on Bord gais and a "we'll let you know if you have excessive use" on electric Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

So if there are 4 Saturdays a month you can except to harness 25Kwh for free each weekend on average. I agree that its a PITA to try and use that up to any advantage. I would much rather any offer that grants me a cash bonus that i can apply to whatever usage i want.

I got 300 from EI last year... which is not far off 100 units a month at .24 per unit ( i think that was my std rate back then). This was great becasue it didnt require me altering my habits at all - BUT it was to my advantage to make that cash go as long as possible - so load shifting to night rate meant it didnt run out until well into summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭allinthehead

1.3kwh today🤙 4.8kwp

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭con747

12 panels 1.725w east, 2.415w south 2.5 kwh.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭sligopaul

23.60 on 14th in Sligo from 6.6kw S/SE, 7 and 5 last couple of days, hope to see a bit of sun later today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

3.7 yesterday

Worst day since installation

.I don't want to talk about it anymore 😕 😪 😢

Will be much more of this now until the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

3.8 yesterday, pig of a day and I didn't charge the batteries the night before 😭Between yesterday and this morning we had to import 6 units as the production just about covered out base load yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,689 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

3.7 yesterday here (8.1kWp SSE), after a good couple of days of 10+

Am doing a fair bit of grid shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

6.8 today, it is actually generating more (in terms of money) now than at the height of the summer due to that stupid 45% price increase

Yesterday was right miserable altogether. Don't think I even got 0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

10kwh for me today (4kw south panels).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Forecast was 10.18kWh but actual was a somewhat shocking 18kWh! I managed to use 80% of it which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Got to 8.2 today, very good afternoon. used 60% of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Tomorrow looks decent enough too , for Dublin anyway. Weds though. Howler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

A right good day here in Cork yesterday 32.2 kWh on my 6.1 kWp system...only used 11.5% of it though as I was in Work and the missus was away for the day with work as well so no one in the house.

I need to plan my working from home days based on the weather so I can charge the EV and do the washing.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

After the previouos day's shocking 3.7 - worst so far - yesterday went back up to 11kWh.

My system is all SSE currently and we missed an hour of peak generation with cloud cover, otherwise that 11 would be 15+.

Next year I will have to add some W, NW and more SE panels. Probably in that order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭sligopaul

Mental numbers for this time of year, we generated 11kwh in Sligo with 6.6kwp , good afternoon poor morning, today looking better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah I was quite surprised myself when I checked but we had clear skies here all day bar an hour around lunch time.

The previous day I only generated 1.5 kWh though.....😋 but we had torrential rain the whole day

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭fuse

14.6kWh generated yesterday.

Think I got the cleanest curves yet since install in Sept. I wanted to see how each of the E/W arrays perform separately (East=blue, west=red, combined=orange) and then see what the total generation is. West array has 6 panels, East has 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Imagine even staying in the house Saturday, never mind washing the clothes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

9.1kw today, really happy with that. mixed morning, great afternoon and 72% self consumed.

I can see 11-12kw being possible in october with clearer skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

11.5kwh today. I think I do great in the morning and early afternoon then not much in the late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Best day of the month so far.

20.4kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

11.1kWh for me today. Not too shabby. Yesterday (17th) was my record for the month at 18kWh.

12kWh yesterday, mixed day down here in the (not so) sunny south east.

Today is awful so I don't expect much at all.

Looking at the trailing 7 days from yesterday we broke 10kWh 6 out of 7, i think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Wow - I did say today would be pretty awful, but generating 20watts off 5.3Kwp is about the worst I've seen it at 11am in the 12 months since installation.

20 gaddam watts. Geez!

My shed installation (exactly due south facing) is 2.3Kwp and it's generating.....wait for it...... 7.6W

Good job the automation charged up the battery to 100%

Advertisement