Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin barbers were you don't have to wear a mask

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

OP may I ask why you can’t wear a mask not that I’m saying why aren’t you but if you could share the medical reason why I am curious to know? Reason why I am asking is I didn’t know there was medical reason were you can’t as I was bashing people in the shops whom aren’t wearing them but maybe they have a legitimate reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

accensi0n wrote: »
    Yep, I won't be going back to the barbers regularly myself. Have cut my hair twice since lockdown and both times were better than my local barbers.
    You can actually get it closer to what you were picturing, instead of in the barbers where they're only half way through but you're screaming in your head "stop! leave it as it is, it looks now!" :pac:

The most important part of the haircut is the consultation at the start before any tool is picked up. If you tell your barber what you want how high you want it most will try and do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They have a severe case of attentionseeking-itis, sometimes with an additional diagnosis of imspecial-itis and rulesdontapplytome syndrome.

This ^^^^^ as far as I’m concerned they can all go fûck themselves under the 41 bus, they won’t need a mask after that...... just sick to the back teeth of the lot of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I've run into issues after about half an hour of continuous use.
    Do you normally struggle at this time of year?

Ive never needed to wear it for any longer than 10-15 minutes, i haven't felt any different with it on but thats not to say it wouldn't affect me with continued use

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

davedanon wrote: »
    3) If a mask really isn't an option, then what's wrong with a visor? Perfectly acceptable, and they eliminate the breath hindering/facial discomfort/claustrophobic issues.

For the third time in this thread, visors are supposed to be worn WITH masks. We wear masks to protect others, a visor offers the wearer some protection but does not stop them spreading the disease as droplets come out of the bottom of the mask. There have been countless incidents reported worldwide where visors caused the spread of the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The most important part of the haircut is the consultation at the start before any tool is picked up. If you tell your barber what you want how high you want it most will try and do that for you.

True. I guess the problem is when you tell some barbers 2 back and sides half way up, blend in and just trim the top a tiny bit, they hear: high blade 2 back and sides and take loads off the top. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Caranica wrote: »
    For the third time in this thread, visors are supposed to be worn WITH masks. We wear masks to protect others, a visor offers the wearer some protection but does not stop them spreading the disease as droplets come out of the bottom of the mask. There have been countless incidents reported worldwide where visors caused the spread of the disease.

Fair enough. See the first sentence of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Caranica wrote: »

Please provide a worthwhile link to such a definitive statement.

The argument against visors (for people who won't wear masks) is like someone refusing to put on a seatbelt because the car doesn't have an airbag. Do what you can, whatever it is, and stop trying to demonstrate to everyone how selfish you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nothing to do with airflow, it's to do with inflammatory response. ...

I wasn't talking about asthma. Just that they've tested the normal mask and it didn't make any difference to airflow. As you say the other ones with those with filters increase effort etc. There's a whole range of other respiratory conditions. I was just saying that even where the mask had no effect on airflow. It still might cause anxiety since that's fairly common for people with respiratory illnesses.

Not that any of this makes a difference. Since anyone that bad wouldn't be near a barber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Please provide a worthwhile link to such a definitive statement.

The argument against visors (for people who won't wear masks) is like someone refusing to put on a seatbelt because the car doesn't have an airbag. Do what you can, whatever it is, and stop trying to demonstrate to everyone how selfish you are.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20200715/only-those-with-plastic-visors-were-infected-swiss-government-warns-against-face-shields

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-swiss-visor/swiss-doctor-pans-plastic-visors-after-covid-19-hits-restaurant-workers-idUSKCN24F239

This is the biggest incident/comparison I see. Linking the first reputable source. I’ll see if I can find the academic write up later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

stevek93 wrote: »
    OP may I ask why you can’t wear a mask not that I’m saying why aren’t you but if you could share the medical reason why I am curious to know? Reason why I am asking is I didn’t know there was medical reason were you can’t as I was bashing people in the shops whom aren’t wearing them but maybe they have a legitimate reason.

There isn't one. It really is utter bollix. This 'exemption' thing doesn't apply in many other countries and guess what, people manage to suck it up and get on with things.

There is no medical condition under the sun that means the sufferer cannot wear a mask for short periods. The most common I hear trotted out is 'anxiety', which is truly pathetic. Too anxious to wear a bit of cloth on your face, but lying face down in intensive care on a ventilator is fine?

Clowns.

If someone's anxiety is so bad they can't wear a mask, then they should understand that that means not being out in shops and in public. Their risk of a panic attack is not more important than everyone else's health.

There isn't one. It really is utter bollix. This 'exemption' thing doesn't apply in many other countries and guess what, people manage to suck it up and get on with things.

There is no medical condition under the sun that means the sufferer cannot wear a mask for short periods. The most common I hear trotted out is 'anxiety', which is truly pathetic. Too anxious to wear a bit of cloth on your face, but lying face down in intensive care on a ventilator is fine?

Clowns.

If someone's anxiety is so bad they can't wear a mask, then they should understand that that means not being out in shops and in public. Their risk of a panic attack is not more important than everyone else's health.

Why did the OP's doctor give him a letter to say he is doesn't need to wear one? :confused:

I am trying to be fair to the OP and maybe he has a reason but looking at the below link and also he mentioned he doesn't want to share the medical reason on a public forum suggests in fact he doesn't have a reason.

To be honest you can tell the difference between the people wearing a mask and not wearing most of the people not wearing masks now look to be that typical f**k everyone sit at home on the dole uneducated tinfoil hat type or just up their own a@rse and the virus will never get me I am untouchable. :rolleyes:

https://www.insider.com/doctor-tried-6-face-masks-they-dont-affect-oxygen-levels-2020-7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Why did the OP's doctor give him a letter to say he is doesn't need to wear one? :confused:

I am trying to be fair to the OP and maybe he has a reason but looking at the below link and also he mentioned he doesn't want to share the medical reason on a public forum suggests in fact he doesn't have a reason.

To be honest you can tell the difference between the people wearing a mask and not wearing most of the people not wearing masks now look to be that typical f**k everyone sit at home on the dole uneducated tinfoil hat type or just up their own a@rse and the virus will never get me I am untouchable. :rolleyes:

https://www.insider.com/doctor-tried-6-face-masks-they-dont-affect-oxygen-levels-2020-7

Same reason doctors give sick notes to people who aren't sick? They can't be arsed with the hassle.

Same reason doctors give sick notes to people who aren't sick? They can't be arsed with the hassle.

Ah but now seriously sick note is one thing telling someone they don’t have to wear a mask is ridiculous I do understand your point if I was a doctor and my patient was complaining the mask is giving them nightmares for example and having panic attacks everyone one is in sight I wouldn’t want to be dealing with it either but at the same time the OPs doctor is putting people at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Just out of curiousity, for men who've been to the barbers, does the mask get in the way at all? I'm assuming it has to come off at some point, to get around the ears and such?

I've been to the barbers once since the restrictions were lifted; I genuinely did not see how it could work wearing the mask, but with the type that loops around your ears (which seems to be the most common type), there was no issue, even going around the ears (and my sides are shaved with a 1 and a half blade).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ah but now seriously sick note is one thing telling someone they don’t have to wear a mask is ridiculous I do understand your point if I was a doctor and my patient was complaining the mask is giving them nightmares for example and having panic attacks everyone one is in sight I wouldn’t want to be dealing with it either but at the same time the OPs doctor is putting people at risk.

Jesus, man, use some punctuation. Reading that post was like running downhill with a gale-force following wind at my back.

davedanon wrote: »
    Jesus, man, use some punctuation. Reading that post was like running downhill with a gale-force following wind at my back.

Apologises the mobile version of boards is not working half the time, so I am using the full site on a 4 inch screen and can barely see what I am writing, also auto correct on IOS changes words at random I can't see the changes cause it is so small! :o

OP I was just thinking, if you are to scared to wear a mask and say you happen to catch the virus. You require to go to hospital and need oxygen are you going to refuse the oxygen mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Barbers now insist wearing a mask from today for haircuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Apologises the mobile version of boards is not working half the time, so I am using the full site on a 4 inch screen and can barely see what I am writing, also auto correct on IOS changes words at random I can't see the changes cause it is so small! :o

Why not just turn off auto correct? I never use it. Much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Thinly veiled anti-mask thread if you ask me.

If there is a medical condition that makes you unable to wear a mask, you shouldn't be going out to crowded places then. As that is an underlying condition that would be highly susceptible to Covid-19 IMO.

Not a Dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Witty caption:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

evil_seed wrote: »
    Thinly veiled anti-mask thread if you ask me.

If there is a medical condition that makes you unable to wear a mask, you shouldn't be going out to crowded places then. As that is an underlying condition that would be highly susceptible to Covid-19 IMO.

Not a Dr.

I got my hair cut without a mask no problem.

Once I told the barber I had an exemption he was sound.

As for not getting my hair cut what do you expect me to do when my fringe was growing past my eyes ?

I find it amazing how so many people are now all experts when it comes to who can and can't wear a face mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

If your doctor told you not to wear a mask. He also told you you are in a high risk group and as such should be steering well clear of any barbers or such.

If your doctor told you not to wear a mask. He also told you you are in a high risk group and as such should be steering well clear of any barbers or such.

I don't think I am in a high risk group I just have chronic respiratory issues which is not going to kill me but makes my life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I don't think I am in a high risk group I just have chronic respiratory issues which is not going to kill me but makes my life difficult.

Virtually every medical person on the planet would view those with chronic respiratory issues as being quintessentially high risk from Covid-19.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Not necessarily true. I'm medically exempt from wearing a mask (tachycardia, which is exacerbated by GAD) but am not in a high risk group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

You mean, your doctor has given you this note, but hasn't told you your risk profile to covid19.

Seems unbelievably unprofessional, sounds like hse would put you in either very high risk or high risk groupings. Link here.

Virtually every medical person on the planet would view those with chronic respiratory issues as being quintessentially high risk from Covid-19.

:confused::confused::confused:

Even if that's the case I can't stay in my house until this pandemic is over.

I would be far more likely to die in an accident than die from covid.

I think the overall risk has been way overblown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even if that's the case I can't stay in my house until this pandemic is over.
    I would be far more likely to die in an accident than die from covid.
    I think the overall risk has been way overblown.

Google number of road deaths in Ireland last year.
    Google covid 19 related deaths this year.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement