Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir webmail problems

Options
  • 06-08-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

I can't get into my eir webmail. I know they are starting to charge for the service but the last time I could get in, they said I had 60 days to decide whether to pay or my account would be deleted. That was last week.

I tried changing my password twice. No luck. There is a number to call but when I try it, they just hang up before I get to talk to anyone. The chat service isn't available.

I need to get into my emails to sort them out and decide whether to continue with eir or change to another email service.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

happyday wrote: »
    I can't get into my eir webmail. I know they are starting to charge for the service but the last time I could get in, they said I had 60 days to decide whether to pay or my account would be deleted. That was last week.

I tried changing my password twice. No luck. There is a number to call but when I try it, they just hang up before I get to talk to anyone. The chat service isn't available.

I need to get into my emails to sort them out and decide whether to continue with eir or change to another email service.

Can anyone help me with this please?

As I understand it, Eir started to change over emails, to facilitate charging etc., to another server, over a 14 day period, commencing 01 July. Once an account is transferred to the other server, it is necessary to pay the monthly charge in order to access mail. The 60 days that you refer to applies to the period, post 01 July, that Eir will retain mail in the event of non payment, at which point, the account and all mail will be deleted. It is not a period of grace pending a decision as to whether to pay the subscription or not, as you appear to suggest above.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Thanks Maidhci. I can't make contact with them even to pay the 5.99. Any suggestions? I'm really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

happyday wrote: »
    Thanks Maidhci. I can't make contact with them even to pay the 5.99. Any suggestions? I'm really stuck.

This link - email web offer:

http://www.eir.ie/email/offers/

should enable you to sign up to the subscription service, if that is your wish. You should read the T&Cs and cancellation policy before you provide your bank details.

Hope this helps but it is by no means an endorsement of the eircom web offer. It is unfortunate that you did not manage to have made alternative arrangements before July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Thanks again. I will look into it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for this. My mother's friend is in her 70s and has had an @eircom.net account for years. I moved her to Gmail a good while ago, to get away from Outlook, but I made it so that, to the outside world, her emails still come up as @eircom.net. Will this be a problem now? She's away at the moment and concerned about the 5.99 charge. Never used eircom webmail to login, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

There is a solution for existing eircom.net webmail if you want the paid subscription.
    Go too:
    https://www.eir.ie/email/login/

Log in using just the identifier *WITHOUT* @eircom net - that is, if your email is jane@eircom.net just put jane in the box, usual password then you should be in and be able to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thanks for this. My mother's friend is in her 70s and has had an @eircom.net account for years. I moved her to Gmail a good while ago, to get away from Outlook, but I made it so that, to the outside world, her emails still come up as @eircom.net. Will this be a problem now? She's away at the moment and concerned about the 5.99 charge. Never used eircom webmail to login, afaik.
    Yes. If people are sending emails to her @eircom.net address, at some stage in the near future they will stop being delivered

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

28064212 wrote: »
    Yes. If people are sending emails to her @eircom.net address, at some stage in the near future they will stop being delivered

Unless she makes a payment?

Unless she makes a payment?
    Yes.

Although tbh, I fully expect Eir to wind the service up completely within a year or two. I very much doubt they will get anywhere near the number of subscribers required to make it profitable even from day 1, and that number is only going to decrease. It's well worth taking the time now to just migrate her completely to the gmail address now, while she still can receive email to her eircom one.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Yes.

Although tbh, I fully expect Eir to wind the service up completely within a year or two. I very much doubt they will get anywhere near the number of subscribers required to make it profitable even from day 1, and that number is only going to decrease. It's well worth taking the time now to just migrate her completely to the gmail address now, while she still can receive email to her eircom one.

Cheers. What do you mean completely migrate her?

I set it up over a year ago I think and still have the log in in case of technical problems. Couldn't get into it there now as it didn't recognise my device.

Anyway, she logs in as name@gmail.com and it checks the eircom.net for her and pulls in any messages. To any friends they think she's still writing from an eircom.net address. I could change what her account displays as name@gmail.com, but it's how to manage that as people will still be emailing her and she has done things such as booked flights on the Eircom one.

• Advertisement

Cheers. What do you mean completely migrate her?
    • Send an email from the eircom address to any personal contacts, informing them of the new gmail address
    • Make a list of all the companies and websites that she has registered the eircom email on, and update them to the gmail one
    • Set up an auto-reply for any emails received to the eircom address saying that this email address will soon be deactivated, and to use the gmail one from now on
    • All outgoing emails should only use the gmail address
    This may sound like a pain now, but imagine trying to do it when you can't access emails to the Eircom address?

One of the migrations was painful, can't remember if it was Outlook to Gmail or what. There was a certain point at which the Outlook kept filling up and had no further space for new messages. Had a thread on here at one point.

Tried to log into Eir's webmail there, no luck. Could they have already disabled it?

She's out of the country until mid-Sept, so I can't drop over and if I can't log into the Gmail either there's little I can do. Putting the new email in her signature would help. I think this is all linked up with her phone too, so if I do get things sorted I won't be able to change how her Gmail phone app looks remotely, due to her age and trying to explain all of this.

OK, I can get into the Gmail now.

There's an error re the Eircom.net side.

Authentication error. Mail from this account has not been retrieved since 29 Jul. View details

Details say

Authentication error.
    Server returned error "failed: Could not determine server"

Looks like they've disabled the account so. She won't receive any emails unless she pays up, after 60 days of no payment the account will be deleted.

Thought so. Will have to get onto them.

I can't even change the Eir password.

I tried to make her Gmail so that it shows 100 conversations per page, but she doesn't understand and just wants to start deleting stuff to see old messages. She's worried about a lot of key contacts such as her bank, embassy, etc. I showed her Gmail Contacts and I've changed things so that her address displays as Gmail and put it in her signature too. If we can pay for a month or two, then dump it and keep her outgoing Gmail based from there.

Paid up the 5.99.

Can now get into Eir webmail. About 40 messages and 30 in the junk folder. I'd like to get those over to Gmail and then be done with the Eir one once and for all.

However, I can't configure the Gmail to pull in those messages. It used to work.

Same as this thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98993569

Advertisement