Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email issues: Outlook, Eircom mail, Gmail

Options
  • 08-03-2016 12:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Having some issues with email coming to an @eircom.net email at the moment, Outlook on a Surface tablet.

The user has an @eircom.net email set up and all was going fine until recently. I'm not sure if something happened, or some settings were changed. She's not very techie and is a pensioner. She travels and stays abroad for the summer. A while back there was a conflict with her @eircom.net emails not coming in when she took the tablet away, because her Eircom mail settings couldn't adapt to her foreign ISP. She could receive, but not send.

I sorted that through help here on boards. I set up a Gmail address to capture her Eircom email, unknown to her, to have everything coming and going as @eircom.net. All was fine, or so I thought. It worked for her trip abroad last summer.

Now it seems there is a batch of emails missing for the past few months. I can see them if I log into gmail.com. As mentioned, I don't want her to know about her @gmail as it'll confuse her. However, they are not showing up in Outlook and some are important like flight bookings, etc.

Any ideas? Also, I sent a few test emails to her and they were very slow coming in. I'm not sure where the issue is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The reason she could not send is outgoing mail must be sent through the ISP's SMTP server. When she is abroad the easiest way for her to send emails would be to use the on line Eircom web mail for sending emails. That way any replies to those emails will go to her normal inbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd prefer not to show her another set up like web mail, it'll confuse her. All was fine last summer, including being overseas, sending and receiving email. That's more of a background story and doesn't seem to be the core issue at the moment. Apologies for any confusion. The SMTP hiccups were an issue in the past, for example her house is Eircom, my mother's is Vodafone. At that time, you would have had to chop and change if she was visiting my mother, to send email on the tablet.

I set up the following and that resolved it.
    user@eircom.net
    Mail is sent through: imap.gmail.com (I was trying smtp.eircom.net/mail1.eircom.net, etc.)
    Secured connection on port 587 using TLS

I don't have the tablet in front me to check the Outlook settings in full. The above should work regardless of where she is located and is designed to get around any ISP and SMTP issues.

Now stuff is coming into the Gmail...just not carrying it over to Outlook. All was fine previously, so it's a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If the email is sent through imap.gmail.com if the recipient chooses reply is the reply now being sent to imap.gmail.com and previously was it just relayed through gmail to eircom?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Here's the settings from within Gmail:
    Send mail as: First Name, Surname<hername@gmail.com>
    Reply-to address: hername@eircom.net
    First Name, Surname <hername@eircom.net>
    Mail is sent through: imap.gmail.com
    Secured connection on port 587 using TLS
    When replying to a message:
    Always reply from default address (currently hername@eircom.net)

---

Check mail from other accounts (using POP3):
    hername@eircom.net
    Last checked: 45 minutes ago.2 mails fetched.

1. Status: POP is disabled

---

IMAP Access:
    (access Gmail from other clients using IMAP)

OK, and the settings within Outlook are as follows:
    Email address:hername@eircom.net
    Account type: IMAP
    Incoming server: imap.gmail.com
    Outgoing server: imap.gmail.com

User name: hername (for @gmail)

Mail to keep offline: 1 month

My outgoing server requires authentication
    Use same settings as my incoming server

Incoming server IMAP 993 - SSL
    Outgoing server IMAP 587 - TLS

Purge items when switching folders online

ETA, appears to be working now...it was the Mail to keep offline: 1 month that was the problem. I've changed this.

Good to go! :)

• Advertisement

Encountering problems yet again, unfortunately. Completely stumped. Emails stopped working last week. I've been trying to fix this since about 4pm today. No matter the combination I try, nothing seems to work.

Add another email address that you own
    smtp.gmail.com
    Username: userblahblah
    Password:
    Secured connection using TLS (recommended)
    Port 587

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password and less secure apps access for userblahblah.

And

Add an email account
    Enter the mail settings for userblahblah@eircom.net. Learn more
    Email address: userblahblah@eircom.net
    Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.

Advertisement