Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

No it’s not clear at all. You just seem to dismiss the fact that countries such as the US act in their interest and in their interest only. Not to protect minorities or civilian populations. Of course they will use those motives as pretexts for interventions when it is in their interests but when it is in their interests to keep despots who murder their populations in power they will happily provide the funds and means to do so.

What aspect of history have I “reframed”? Could you provide examples.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Again you are dodging my question while demanding I answer yours.

That's one reason that I don't think the claims you are making are true.

People who claimed that it might have been a lab leak were not dismissed as conspiracy theorists by some organized conspiracy.

The people who were dismissed were the types who were claiming that the virus was artificially created as a bioweapon etc.

The speculation was not censored.

Again if these things were true, then the FBI would not have done what they did. You are not explaining this contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You just seem to dismiss the fact that countries such as the US act in their interest

Nope.

Edit: tiring anti-Western diatribe number 352 on the conspiracy forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

You sound like someone who watches RTE and believes everything they tell you. Can`t help you mate.

No examples of your allegation I see.

Quelle surprise.

• Advertisement

I am not demanding anything.

People who claimed there was a lab leak were dismissed as conspiracy theorists.

You are conflating the lab leak/bio weapon nonsense again.

Here is a good article on the subject.

Also this. Organised by Peter Daszak, someone with a vested interest in stifling the idea that Covid originated from a lab leak.

Ok. You are demanding that I answer your questions while you continue to dodge mine.

I'm not conflating anything I'm pointing out that conspiracy theorists who promoted conspiracy theories were dismissed as such.

Those are what were being proposed here on this forum.

You haven't been able to explain why the FBI are not being discredited and you are bending over backwards to avoid this point. This indicates to me your theory is false.

Also lol. Talk about conflating.

The Lancet article you posted doesn't say anything about a lab leak. It says conspiracy theories about the virus not being natural: ie. Man made. Which you've agreed is a conspiracy theory that should be dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

On any given day there are a huge number of news stories that never get a mention on RTE.

Anyone who relies on RTE as a primary news source would reasonably assume "conspiracy theory" whenever they realize these topics are being discussed and debated elsewhere. Those conspiracy theorists with their "right wing talking points" is the automatic assumption.

If these topics cannot be debunked, they tell us instead that no one is talking about them except a small minority.

But, if RTE refuse to touch the story then inevitably no one will be aware of it apart from right leaning anti-establishment types who get their news elsewhere. Its a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The first article is pay walled.

The second article stresses the natural origin of covid. Lab leak isnt even mentioned. Therefore this appears to be misrepresentation by you.

"We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I am not demanding anything, stop making stuff up. I don’t care if you answer questions or not. I am not demanding anything as I have said.

The lancet letter, if you read the FT article, served to conflate a lab leak with a man made bio weapon so that the very mention of the possibility that the pandemic was the result of a lab leak was seen as unethical.

The FBI report, over 18 months after the start of the pandemic was criticised.

I haven’t agreed that the virus was not manipulated in the lab in Wuhan. This seems less likely than it being an accidental release of a natural virus but none of us know enough about the research that was carried carried out to rule out gain of function, spike protein manipulation entirely.

What was being conflated was that the Chinese deliberately or accidentally released a bio weapon.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn’t realise it was paywalled.

Here it is copy and pasted;

The conversation around Covid-19’s origins has shifted markedly in recent weeks. Suddenly, the idea that the virus could have come from an accidental lab leak, once dismissed as a “conspiracy theory”, is considered a possibility — even a likelihood, by some. Fact-checking site PolitiFact recently decided to “archive” a fact-check it published last year on whether the virus was “man-made”, which it gave its most censorious “pants-on-fire!” rating, but which it now says is “more widely disputed”.

Likewise, The Washington Post issued a correction on a story it published in February 2020 on Republican senator Tom Cotton’s efforts to press China for evidence to back up its claims that the virus had emerged naturally. The Post said he was repeating a “conspiracy theory that was already debunked”; it now acknowledges there is “no determination about the origins of the virus”. One might assume that this shift has come on the back of new evidence, but the facts haven’t changed in any material way, though some new information has emerged. What has changed, however, is that the lab-leak theory has become politically acceptable. It seems it is only now that Donald Trump — who claimed in April 2020 to have evidence that Covid-19 had emanated from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) — has departed the White House that the possibility that the virus was man-made can be entertained. “The fact that Trump embraced this idea suddenly turned it into a polarising conversation,” says Daniel Drezner, a political scientist at Tufts University. “Now that Trump is no longer in office, suddenly it becomes a little bit more permissible to talk about this.”

We live in a world in which topics are often approached with preconceived notions about what we would like the truth about them to be, based on our political stances, and we then seek out “facts” that prove those notions. But just because Trump spewed endless lies about all manner of topics, and spoke about China in a way that many considered offensive and racist, doesn’t mean we should discount everything he said simply because it was he who was saying it. We also seem to live in a world that prefers binary possibilities. One of the reasons the theory of an accidental lab leak was dismissed was because it was conflated with the idea that China had maliciously developed Covid-19 as a bioweapon. While this idea didn’t gain traction, even among Trump and his allies, by falsely equating the leak with biological weaponry, it was much easier to dismiss. “People took the lab leak hypothesis, they straw-manned it, and then they debunked the straw-manned version that they had straw-manned themselves,” says Eric Weinstein, a mathematical physicist and managing director at Thiel Capital, who has long considered the lab leak hypothesis plausible.

It wasn’t just journalists and social commentators who conflated the two hypotheses; some scientists did too. The Lancet published a statement in February 2020 signed by 27 scientists who said they “(stood) together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that Covid-19 does not have a natural origin”. By using the words “condemn”, and “conspiracy theories”, these scientists — who, it has emerged, had been brought together by a man whose organisation has funded research at the WIV — managed to make even questioning the idea that the virus had passed from an animal into humans appear unethical. But just because rigorous debate was difficult, doesn’t mean it should not have taken place. We need to be comfortable seeking out truths that might make us uncomfortable, and to stay open to the possibility that we might end up agreeing with those who we find disagreeable. The Biden administration may be less enthusiastic about “alternative facts” than the previous one, but what we might call “fact wars” have outlived Trump’s presidency. “Facts” are being used as weapons selected to push narratives, rather than to guide us to the truth. We need to stop policing the discourse if we are to avoid living in an alternative reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The conspiracy Community, if you can call them that seem to be getting wilder on their claims, they've moved on to now claiming that the 15 minutes cities active travel initiative is a conspiracy to confine the population to a small area. Bonkers stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That doesn't support your statements. Lab leak here appears to relate to accidental lab leak of a man made virus.

Direct quote from first article:

It seems it is only now that Donald Trump — who claimed in April 2020 to have evidence that Covid-19 had emanated from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) — has departed the White House that the possibility that the virus was man-made can be entertained.

So the first article does not relate to accidental lab leak of a naturally derived virus.

And the second article doesn't even mention lab leak:

"We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin."

If it is still your position that people were labelled as conspiracy theorists for raising possibility of a lab leaked natural virus then the evidence you have presented in support of it is blatant misrepresentation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

So can we agree that The FBI and the department of energy are a bunch of ct nutters by suggesting covid came from a lab in Wuhan ?

Ok.So if you don't care what my answers to your questions are, why ask them?

Have you noticed though that I'm able to address them directly, clearly and without deflection? Can you say that you do the same?

But the Lancet letter does not mention lab leaks at all. That's something you're inventing. This is something conspiracy theorists do very often to misrepresent things.

Do you agree that the notice that the vaccine was artificially created or created or manipulated to be a bioweapon or to sell vaccines are conspiracy theories that should be dismissed?

No you are absolutely right. The idea that the pandemic may have started from a leak in a laboratory in Wuhan was widely discussed on television and in newspapers from January 2020. It was given the same weight as competing hypotheses as to the origin of Covid. It was not only allowed but encouraged on social media and there was no suppression of discussion or health warnings attached to opinions on the matter at all.

Yes, you are absolutely right. You have correctly addressed all my questions and I now realise that you were entirely correct all along.

And now that people aren't immediately accepting your beliefs, you're having this outburst.

Have you considered that this might be why people are lumping you in with other conspiracy theorists?

Why do believe that your conspiracy theory is more valid when you aren't able to explain anything about it and have to misrepresent things to try and show it exists?

This is just more misrepresentation on your part. This isn't what anyone is arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Not so much. I just notice double standards and inconsistencies in mainstrean media and then listen to alternative narratives to see whether or not they make sense. In short, I think for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

all the covid ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ahh, now don't be lazy. Which ones specifically?

slides out bingo card

Interesting, please go on, should we not trust the RTE, mainstream media and the government?

The FBI head has said they believe it was a lab leak and dept of energy have said they believe lab leak with low confidence. Others, such as scientists, experts, etc maintain zoonotic origin. There's no consensus, the WH admits that.

Pretty much every article or news story I've read has stated that lab leak couldn't be ruled out, but that the consensus has been that it was zoonotic in nature. Which is technically correct.

There's little or no credible evidence it was man-made (which many of the conspiracies center around)

As for the conspiracy connection:

As we all know, conspiracy theorists and "mainstream media contrarians" and all the rest of that group love when they perceive anyone in authority or media has potentially made what they perceive as a mistake, because it fulfils notions that it's purposeful and systemic, which is often their belief.

Also worth pointing out that some individuals, especially of the conspiracy variety, only "trust" and place stock in the FBI when it suits. They just as easily dismiss them for lying or being incompetent or part of the conspiracy at any other time of the day - there's no consistency to any of it.

So are the FBI and dept of energy peddling a conspiracy theory?

What is the difference between me stating

"I have assessed that the origins of the pandemic are most likely a potential lab incident in Wuhan,"

Which would label me as a conspiracy nutter

or the FBI director stating

"The FBI has for quite some time now assessed that the origins of the pandemic are most likely a potential lab incident in Wuhan,"

Simple question

So are the FBI and dept of energy peddling a conspiracy theory?

Not peddling, stating. The FBI head is basically saying this was a lab leak from China. If that's the case, and if China knew about it and has covered it up, that's a conspiracy by the Chinese.

Dept of energy is a bit more wishy-washy, stating it, but with low confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

perhaps their assessment is based on evidence they have obtained independently. you don't have that ability.

• Advertisement

No, they are not proposing a conspiracy theory.

They are not using clues harvested from youtube videos and twitter. They are not proposing the idea to gain attention for their line of supplements or their dvds.

People have not been labeled conspiracy theorists for suggesting a lab leak. People are being labeled conspiracy theorists for suggesting that the virus was man made as a bioweapon or to sell vaccines or that it was leaked on purpose.

The FBI et al. are not proposing those things.

You are also not explaining how this fits into your conspiracy narratives.

If there is a conspiracy to discredit the idea of a lab leak, then why are the FBI not being discredited? Why they not part of the conspiracy?

The fact that the FBI is making these statements, and without an adequate explanation (or any explanation at all) of how this fits the conspiracy theory, shows that the theory is most likely not true.

Advertisement