Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The only scope I give them, is that it is possible that the US Hawks were aware of some sort of terrorist attack, which they were hoping to use as an excuse to invade Iraq, I think that is plausible.
    This is indeed a plausible, rational and believable theory.

What's odd though is in the nearly 20 years since the event, I don't think I've ever seen a conspiracy theorist argue just this and only this.

There always has to be something like secret demolitions or faked planes or secret decoded messages.
    I think this is because the rational version of the theory is just a bit boring in comparison. And it doesn't have shocking attention getting claims that people can make a successful internet video on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

King Mob wrote: »
    This is indeed a plausible, rational and believable theory.

What's odd though is in the nearly 20 years since the event, I don't think I've ever seen a conspiracy theorist argue just this and only this.

The always has to be something like secret demolitions or faked planes or secret decoded messages.
    I think this is because the rational very of the theory is just a bit boring in comparison. And it doesn't have shocking attention getting claims that people can make a successful internet video on.

Some people can't cope with or understand reality, these conspiracies offer them more comfort. It's big business, Alex Jones for example is worth millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

storker wrote: »
    Well, there's this thing called gravity...

I see that the shills have awoken, again.

So tell us all about gravity there smart guy. While you're at it can you give us a few equations.....Gallilean maybe?

I see that the shills have awoken

There's that word again, are you suggesting people who disagree with you are paid? or what?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    There's that word again, are you suggesting people who disagree with you are paid? or what?

So what's the conspiracy?

Don't dodge the question...just answer. No maybes or "I don't know" or links to blogs that I don't like.........just answer the question.

• Advertisement

So what's the conspiracy?

Don't dodge the question...just answer. No maybes or "I don't know" or links to blogs that I don't like.........just answer the question.

I haven't suggested any conspiracy. I am asking you why you are using the word "shill" to refer to people. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I haven't suggested any conspiracy. I am asking you why you are using the word "shill" to refer to people. Why?

they think you are a shill for Big Explosion :D

either that or they understand what a shill is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

they think you are a shill for Big Explosion :D

either that or they understand what a shill is.

Or a shill for the quiet thermite conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Or a shill for the quiet thermite conspiracy.

I hear they pay really well but the interview is really tough.

Yet again, you can't believe it so it didn't happen. Once again, you are contradicted by the facts

https://www.highrisefirefighting.co.uk/docs/ttlifts.pdf

Where did you find this crap? I've seen better written pieces by 12-year olds.

To wit:

And when the second jet hit the south tower at 9:03 a.m., 16½ minutes after the attack on the north tower, the World Trade Center's elevator mechanics decided to leave the buildings. They expected to return later to help firefighters but never did.

:pac::pac:

Could the dildo who wrote this not have had the brains to capitalise "North Tower, South Tower along with "World Trade Center"

You have to love the "16 <insert fraction here> minutes

That crap looks worse than a resume written by a drunk who just graduated, age 22.

Where did you find this shit? Can I pay to have some?

:pac:

• Advertisement

Then why are you always asking people what the conspiracy is?

Where did you find this crap? I've seen better written pieces by 12-year olds.

To wit:

And when the second jet hit the south tower at 9:03 a.m., 16½ minutes after the attack on the north tower, the World Trade Center's elevator mechanics decided to leave the buildings. They expected to return later to help firefighters but never did.

:pac::pac:

Could the dildo who wrote this not have had the brains to capitalise "North Tower, South Tower along with "World Trade Center"

You have to love the "16 <insert fraction here> minutes

That crap looks worse that a resume written by a drunk who just graduated, age 22.

Where did you find this shit? Can I pay to have some?

:pac:

More incredulity and gobbledygook. You didn't address any of the post at all.

More incredulity and gobbledygook. You didn't address any of the post at all.

And you have stated that masks shield ALL infectious diseases.

Now THAT my friend is gobbledygook.....unless I'm displaying your incredulity by not believing you but rather rolling my eyes at your claims.

Another (we can get all these 'incredulity' things out of the way, forthwith) episode of yours was to give medical knowledge, though you are not medically educated. What might you say about that?

Then why are you always asking people what the conspiracy is?

Because they are suggesting it.

When someone is claiming: "I can't believe the Titanic sank due to an iceberg", they are suggesting that the Titanic sank due to something else. That there is an alternative explanation. On a conspiracy theory forum, that alternative explanation is usually a conspiracy.

If you ask that person what the conspiracy or the alternative explanation is, and they have none, then their claim is baseless. It's meaningless.

So when you claim e.g. you can't believe a passport survived the 9/11 impacts, therefore it didn't survive. First of all you are contradicted by the fact that the passport exists and did survive. Secondly you have no evidence based explanation as to how it exists, nor any coherent conspiracy how it got there. All you have is your incredulity, which means your claim is baseless, meaningless.

I really don't think you understand any of this because it's been explained to you multiple times by now, and each time seems to go right over your head

And you have stated that masks shield ALL infectious diseases.

I haven't.

Another (we can get all these 'incredulity' things out of the way, forthwith) episode of yours was to give medical knowledge, though you are not medically educated. What might you say about that?

I've already addressed this. To address it again, I am not the source of that information, medical professionals are. I am passing on what they are stating.

Most of your issues here seem to be because you demonstrate extreme difficulty in understanding basic concepts, repeatedly.

I think there's a chance the UK has massively overstated this new strain for political reasons. They said they would be open for Christmas but soon realised they had to lockdown. They needed a scapegoat that was beyond their control. That scapegoat was an apparent highly virulent new strain.

I think there's a chance the UK has massively overstated this new strain for political reasons. They said they would be open for Christmas but soon realised they had to lockdown. They needed a scapegoat that was beyond their control. That scapegoat was an apparent highly virulent new strain.

It's been detected by other countries, quite a few by this stage.

Also UK hospitals are at now at their fullest point (higher than April)

It's been detected by other countries, quite a few by this stage.

Also UK hospitals are at now at their fullest point (higher than April)

I'm not saying the strain isn't real. There has been many different strains detected. I'm saying the timing of the announcement was political.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm not saying the strain isn't real. There has been many different strains detected. I'm saying the timing of the announcement was political.

It is plausible. The figures in the UK exploded somewhat, but what do they have to gain from holding out the announcement?

• Advertisement

It was detected at an earlier stage?

Trigger wrote: »
    It is plausible. The figures in the UK exploded somewhat, but what do they have to gain from holding out the announcement?

They previously stated that they would be open for Christmas. It suddenly became clear that they had to lockdown. They're numbers could have exploded simply due to Christmas coming up. I think they tied the lockdown to this new strain rather than going back on their own word. I'm certainly no expert but I don't understand how they can know the new strain is more virulent so quickly. I thought that's something you can determine in hindsight with statistics.

I'm certainly no expert but I don't understand how they can know the new strain is more virulent so quickly. I thought that's something you can determine in hindsight with statistics.
    So because you can't understand it, it must therefore be a conspiracy.

So because you can't understand it, it must therefore be a conspiracy.

Alright relax dude. Its just something that occurred to me. It's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

Alright relax dude. Its just something that occurred to me. It's not a hill I'm willing to die on.
    Why would I not be relaxed?
    Just pointing out the central flaw behind your thinking.

Just because you personally don't understand something doesn't mean it has to be a conspiracy.
    It could be that you just don't personally understand it.

Why would I not be relaxed?
    Just pointing out the central flaw behind your thinking.

Just because you personally don't understand something doesn't mean it has to be a conspiracy.
    It could be that you just don't personally understand it.

Then tell me, how can we know so soon that a particular strain is more virulent

"It was first detected in September. In November around a quarter of cases in London were the new variant. This reached nearly two-thirds of cases in mid-December."

Decent summary of context and details here
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55388846

I don't know off hand.
    But Dohnjoe has given you a link that answers your question.

Please explain how it can be a conspiracy?

I don't know off hand.
    But Dohnjoe has given you a link that answers your question.

Please explain how it can be a conspiracy?

I explained my angle twice already

• Advertisement

I explained my angle twice already
    Oh. Is that all you had?
    Then as I said, you don't really have a very good reason to buy into that conspiracy theory.

Advertisement