Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do (Nissan Leaf)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have a read on through the thread. It's a software issue Nissan have a fix for this while now. OP has gained back a few bars and a nice chunk of km too.

In the end it's a bit of a drawback of EVs, though the leaf never did itself any favours with passive cooling of the battery.

In that sense passive charging in a country like Ireland probably makes a lot more sense than most other places ,
    We're there fans to help cool the battery on the leaf , or is it totally passive .. ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarant

Markcheese wrote: »
    In that sense passive charging in a country like Ireland probably makes a lot more sense than most other places ,
    We're there fans to help cool the battery on the leaf , or is it totally passive .. ?

No fans, no fins, just a 2 blocks, One twice the size and the poaches in the middle just cant disperse any heat. Its only a problem while fast charging, after the second/third charge they don't wont to cool down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No controlled cooling on a Leaf that charges at home or once a trip rapid is a non-issue, so very much a red herring for those of us with this charging pattern

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    No controlled cooling on a Leaf that charges at home or once a trip rapid is a non-issue, so very much a red herring for those of us with this charging pattern

Yeah I've only ever done 2 rapid charges in a single day once, with probably a 5-6 hour gap in between. Didn't see any issues of the battery overheating

I know it happens, there's been many cases where it's been shown. But it seems to be mainly when people are doing long road trips with multiple rapid charges on the way.

Bjorn Nyland recently did his 1000km challenge with a Leaf 62kWh and it did start rapidgating right at the end of the journey. He still managed around 700km or so on a hot day without any issues

I do believe Nissan should have fitted active cooling, especially to the newer Leafs since they've been advertising them as capable of long road trips

But I do feel the issue has been overblown somewhat, especially for the gen1 leaf which I imagine most users only use for short hops

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »

It's bad tech, which irritates me.
    However, factually, I agree. Especially on the L62.

Yeah I've only ever done 2 rapid charges in a single day once, with probably a 5-6 hour gap in between. Didn't see any issues of the battery overheating

I know it happens, there's been many cases where it's been shown. But it seems to be mainly when people are doing long road trips with multiple rapid charges on the way.

Bjorn Nyland recently did his 1000km challenge with a Leaf 62kWh and it did start rapidgating right at the end of the journey. He still managed around 700km or so on a hot day without any issues

I do believe Nissan should have fitted active cooling, especially to the newer Leafs since they've been advertising them as capable of long road trips

But I do feel the issue has been overblown somewhat, especially for the gen1 leaf which I imagine most users only use for short hops
    When I had my leaf24 in 2016-17, I did 60k in 12 months. I used to fast charge at least 3-4 times a week.
    I did 800-1000km trips in a single day.

I sold it in 2017 with 110k km, and 92% SOH. I burned the sh1t out of the battery regularly and it stood up. I think the issue is not fast charging but simply time.

• Advertisement

Any update from Boat_Mad as to whether he got his bms update ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Any update from Boat_Mad as to whether he got his bms update ?

Yes car received back 3 of the 4 bars and in the current temp is reliably returning 160km at indicated 100km/h. It’s great.

She’ll clock up another 50,000km this year

Our current plan is to buy another 30 kWh leaf with lower mileage

The car has been great , in fact it’s a advertisement for EVs not against it

Advertisement