Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

What to do (Nissan Leaf)

  • 04-08-2020 2:24pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    My wife drives a 2016 30kwh leaf , she clocks up around 50k km per year

    She loves the leaf and it’s been completely trouble free

    However today at 198k Km she now dropped another battery bar to 6 plus 3 , ie 4 bars gone , range is down to 130km approx

    I’m wondering what to do , she retires in 12 months ,

    Is there an option of a battery replacement ( UK ? )

    On retirement her mileage drops to about 12-14 km

    The alternative is flog it for peanuts , and buy a 2nd diesel.

    If one factors in the depreciation this car is very expensive though not as bad as range rovers !

    Currently on a fast charger she’s gets 110 km range from the GOM after 90 %

    Interesting two bars were dropped since 150k km point, were this to continue it’s unlikely the car will be even usable for her commute within a few months


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Theres a dutch firm that do battery replacements and even expansion packs.
    However before going down that road make sure you get the software update for the L30 from a Nissan dealer.

    Worth noting too, that 4 bars gone is approx 37.5% degradation. (ie 15+ 7.5 +7.5+7.5)
    That's terrible. I reckon in my similar aged Tesla model S with similar miles (175k km) I'm probably around 5-7% deg.
    I've also seen that the Irish Youtuber Jan bart has a 2014 Zoe with high miles and less than 10% deg.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    Has it had the BMS update, will not impact range but would improve resell value.
    Personally, I'd keep, it's a great car, our second car too.

    If you are going to replace then tick tock Brexit 31.12.20


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    slave1 wrote: »
    Has it had the BMS update, will not impact range but would improve resell value.
    Personally, I'd keep, it's a great car, our second car too.

    If you are going to replace then tick tock Brexit 31.12.20

    It has not had the bms update , I did not know about that


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Theres a dutch firm that do battery replacements and even expansion packs.
    However before going down that road make sure you get the software update for the L30 from a Nissan dealer.

    Worth noting too, that 4 bars gone is approx 37.5% degradation. (ie 15+ 7.5 +7.5+7.5)
    That's terrible. I reckon in my similar aged Tesla model S with similar miles (175k km) I'm probably around 5-7% deg.
    I've also seen that the Irish Youtuber Jan bart has a 2014 Zoe with high miles and less than 10% deg.

    The degradation does seem extensive , especially as the last two bars went in about 6 months


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    slave1 wrote: »
    Has it had the BMS update, will not impact range but would improve resell value.
    Personally, I'd keep, it's a great car, our second car too.

    If you are going to replace then tick tock Brexit 31.12.20

    I’m quite happy to keep it but if the degradation continues it wouldn’t get her to the shops !


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    There's a company in Spain that will do a battery swap on a Leaf to a new 40kWh or 60kWh battery. I've seen a video of them working and they do a full replacement of all the cells with new ones and everything.

    Obviously with current travel restrictions you can't bring the Leaf there, but you could arrange for the battery to be shipped there and back and use a local mechanic to remove/install the battery. They'll need to update the software but this seemed straightforward from the video (it was done via an android app)

    According to an aritcle about them, it costs €9500 for the replacement if you let them keep the old battery cells, €11,000 if you want the old cells back (in case you want to re-use them)

    Given the price of the replacement versus a Diesel-mobile, it's probably worth looking into. Consider also that at 50k km per year, you're probably saving €3000 at least on fuel costs against a diesel car.

    I can PM you a link if you like, can't post it here as I think that counts as advertising


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    Practically battery replacement would be only practical as far away as the UK and would want to be under 6K. I can get a nice small diesel for 9K as fuel costs when my wife retires would be very small anyway

    Doesn’t seem like many alternatives

    We have saved a lot of fuel money , but if you add the fact that a mechanically perfect car is now worth near nothing , it’s been a very expensive overall purchase no natter what way you slice and dice it


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin


    BoatMad wrote: »
    Practically battery replacement would be only practical as far away as the UK and would want to be under 6K. I can get a nice small diesel for 9K as fuel costs when my wife retires would be very small anyway

    Doesn’t seem like many alternatives

    We have saved a lot of fuel money , but if you add the fact that a mechanically perfect car is now worth near nothing , it’s been a very expensive overall purchase no natter what way you slice and dice it

    It might be worth questioning Nissan regarding the battery warranty, it sounds like the degredation is worse than what would be expected for a car of that age.

    Regarding replacement, I think you can get a second hand battery for around £5000, but I've no idea where you'd buy one. Obviously you'd need a mechanic to fit it but from what I've seen it's a straightforward job.

    One other thing to consider with a battery upgrade, you may decide to use the car for more road trips if the range was extended, which would lead to greater savings. Even at 15,000 I'm per year that saving is around €1000, not an amount to be sneezed at.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭ graememk


    BoatMad wrote: »

    We have saved a lot of fuel money , but if you add the fact that a mechanically perfect car is now worth near nothing , it’s been a very expensive overall purchase no natter what way you slice and dice it

    50k/ year is a lot, but just goes to show the strengths of a electric car.

    First of all I'd really check if you've got the bms update, if it hasn't got it, it won't be reporting the proper battery health.

    Also car isn't worthless, you'd be in the same situation with a value of the car if it was a petrol or diesel.

    I don't know what value the car would be, but there's a 161 leaf on done deal for 11k with 15k km

    So say you sold yours for 5-6k, there's a cost to change of 4-5k, and that's going on the list price of done deal.

    Still a bit more than switching to a 9k diesel but you already have the charge point and are well used to running an electric car. (And then having to have more expensive services and the likes!)


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    If she is nearly retiring and will do less than average mileage after that, why not just keep the car? It is worth very little now, the car is known to you and will still do 130km. So what if that drops to 90-100km over the next 3-4 years? Still more than adequate for most retired people for their second car.

    But of course if you have plenty of money to burn, you could buy a more modern EV...

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    BoatMad wrote: »
    It has not had the bms update , I did not know about that

    You started another similar thread a few months back where the BMS update was pointed out...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112650797&postcount=6

    That absolutely has to be your starting point before you do anything else. You will almost certainly get back 2 or 3 of those bars and a resultant increase in range.

    Your car is one of the first L30's and is well known to have this BMS issue.

    Go to your dealer, insist on the BMS firmware update. You have to specifically ask for it. They wont do it as part of routine service and its not an official recall so you have to ask for it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    I meant I didn’t know that it applied outside the USA. I was told it was only USA cars

    But thanks , I’ll beat a path to the local dealer


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    unkel wrote: »
    If she is nearly retiring and will do less than average mileage after that, why not just keep the car? It is worth very little now, the car is known to you and will still do 130km. So what if that drops to 90-100km over the next 3-4 years? Still more than adequate for most retired people for their second car.

    But of course if you have plenty of money to burn, you could buy a more modern EV...

    Yes indeed , happy to keep it. But it has to do another 40k Km and then it’s hers to act as a retirement car.

    She Really doesnt want to spend money on a car


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes indeed , happy to keep it. But it has to do another 40k Km and then it’s hers to act as a retirement car.

    She Really doesnt want to spend money on a car

    There's your answer there then :)

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭ 3d4life


    BoatMad wrote: »
    ...today at 198k Km she now dropped another battery bar to 6 plus 3 , ie 4 bars gone , range is down to 130km approx ....


    Please can someone remind me, what warranty did Nisssan give with this Leaf model ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    3d4life wrote: »
    Please can someone remind me, what warranty did Nisssan give with this Leaf model ?

    8yrs and 160k km's so he is out of luck on the warranty side, but he probably doesnt need warranty. He just needs the BMS update done and then see where he stands.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭ extremetaz


    The Dutch company mentioned is Muxsan.
    I've dealt with them and used their MITM kit to fit a 40kWh pack into my 2012 Gen1 Leaf - it's an excellent solution with two caveats.

    The first is that if you want them to do the work for you, you need to join the queue and get the car over to them in Delft for them to do the work. The other is that if you decide to do the work yourself, or have someone do it for you, you need to source your own replacement pack.

    Either way, you should expect a 40kWh fitout is going to cost about €8k - however, and I can say this definitively as I've had my car from new and this is the second pack I've put into it (I just broke 300,000km this week) the 40kWh pack absolutely transforms the utility of the car!
    It is well worth the investment if you're happy with the car and intend to keep it in service.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    BoatMad, is this the only car ye have or do ye have another ?

    If you only have the Leaf and the BMS update doesn't work out then there are plenty of Prius cars that should be reliable for years to come, should get one at decent price, I wouldn't ever go back to diesel, they're horrible yokes and it would probably be a manual too even worse.

    Especially considering the public charging situation is still dire in Ireland I wouldn't be bothered messing around with queues and broken chargers on longer trips.

    If your XYL is doing low mileage then it will not cost much to run but lets see what the BMS update does.

    BTW, off topic but did you know I got my license after ? be good to chat on the Shortwaves. You can find my threads in the hobby radio section.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭ BoatMad


    Just a follow up. Had the BMS upgrade done. It’s like a new car , regained 3 of the 4 bars and 40km of range

    Brill


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    BoatMad wrote: »
    Just a follow up. Had the BMS upgrade done. It’s like a new car , regained 3 of the 4 bars and 40km of range

    Brill

    Excellent! Roll on the next 200k km’s!!!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    Great that the update worked.

    However if it goes wrong again another lower mileage L30 with 12 bars is also a potential runner imo.

    Especially with the mileage drop that's incoming for your car.

    In my house we have a broken ICE car issue and the idea of buying another ICE to replace it is annoying me even with it only been for 3 to 6 months.

    And that's with me never having owned an EV.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭ Ta ceist agam


    BoatMad wrote: »
    Just a follow up. Had the BMS upgrade done. It’s like a new car , regained 3 of the 4 bars and 40km of range

    Brill

    Just a query if the 2014 Leaf24 is due this BMS upgrade too?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    No, only early production Leaf 30 models


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ bobbyy gee


    covered under the 36-month/36,000-mile basic warranty. And a used LEAF can be still covered under the 60-month/60,000-mile powertrain and electric vehicle system warranty, 96-month/100,000 miles battery defect & workmanship warranty and the battery capacity warranty that kicks in if the battery loses more than 30 percent of its charge capacity within 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can buy an app leaf spy turbo and it will test your battery


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭ tedpan


    I'm upto 150k kms in my 2015 leaf. It has 11 bars, a little shocked that you've lost so many. Will never sell it, still a fun little car and with covid I'm charging it less than once a week.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 MickeyLeari


    BoatMad wrote: »
    My wife drives a 2016 30kwh leaf , she clocks up around 50k km per year

    She loves the leaf and it’s been completely trouble free

    However today at 198k Km she now dropped another battery bar to 6 plus 3 , ie 4 bars gone , range is down to 130km approx

    I’m wondering what to do , she retires in 12 months ,

    Is there an option of a battery replacement ( UK ? )

    On retirement her mileage drops to about 12-14 km

    The alternative is flog it for peanuts , and buy a 2nd diesel.

    If one factors in the depreciation this car is very expensive though not as bad as range rovers !

    Currently on a fast charger she’s gets 110 km range from the GOM after 90 %

    Interesting two bars were dropped since 150k km point, were this to continue it’s unlikely the car will be even usable for her commute within a few months

    An advertisement against electric cards. At least this highlights the real drawbacks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    tedpan wrote: »
    It has 11 bars, a little shocked that you've lost so many...

    But he hasn’t, he’s back to just one bar down. It was a software defect not actual battery degradation.

    And he has 200k km’s done on a 4yr old car so it’s doing very well!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    An advertisement against electric cards. At least this highlights the real drawbacks.

    Why?

    I think people are reading what they want to read here. The problem is solved!


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭ tedpan


    KCross wrote:
    But he hasn’t, he’s back to just one bar down. It was a software defect not actual battery degradation.

    KCross wrote:
    And he has 200k km’s done on a 4yr old car so it’s doing very well!!


    Ah apologies, late night reading and missed that!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ Black_Knight


    An advertisement against electric cards. At least this highlights the real drawbacks.

    Have a read on through the thread. It's a software issue Nissan have a fix for this while now. OP has gained back a few bars and a nice chunk of km too.

    In the end it's a bit of a drawback of EVs, though the leaf never did itself any favours with passive cooling of the battery.


Advertisement