Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I started a thread for the snow "event" on Wednesday night, such as it is.

Billcarson wrote: »
    You could very well end up being right but I think over the last 40 odd yrs Feb has been a better chance for cold spells then jan,not that that is saying much .

Cold spells also in Feb you didn't mention although not as good as the ones you did mention . Late feb/ into early march 2001,late feb 2005, late feb / early march 2006 and early feb 2009. Of which 2001 and 2009 were the best of those.

There was a very snowy week in February 85 in Dublin also and obviously January 87 and more recently January 2010 often forgotten due to its bigger nov dec 2010 cousin but the January one cut off many Dublin and wicklow mountains communities with huge drifts blocking roads for a lot of that month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after 36 hours under the IOM Shadow we've now moved to the north of it and the north streamer is now affecting us, lots of frequent rain showers which is turning to ice as it hits the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Colder tonight than this time last night. 10pm:

Markree Castle -3
    Mount Dillon -1
    Ballyhaise -1
    Shannon -1
    Belmullet 0

Japan is set to get another pounding of sea-effect snow later this week. Current snow depths already very high, with 75 cm reported at Aomori, just 3 m amsl. Surely there'll be no phoneboxes left after this...

538466.png

538467.png

• Advertisement

Live webcam of Aomori airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Japan is set to get another pounding of sea-effect snow later this week. Current snow depths already very high, with 75 cm reported at Aomori, just 3 m amsl. Surely there'll be no phoneboxes left after this...

538466.png

538467.png

Daejeon, S.Korea getting 2cm (close to my second home). I miss the land of the kimchi and the council workers shoving the snow on to the side of the road creating an ice rink on all pavements. :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

red_bairn wrote: »
    Daejeon, S.Korea getting 2cm (close to my second home). I miss the land of the kimchi and the council workers shoving the snow on to the side of the road creating an ice rink on all pavements. :rolleyes: :D

Cheongju represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

circadian wrote: »
    Cheongju represent.

Hmm, a northerner (Chungcheongbuk-do). I was a southerner myself (논산시).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Markee castle at -4°c at 2am, besides that not much of note, 8 stations below freezing.

Currently -0.3°c here in West Clare, earlier min of -1.2°c at 1:04am. I expected colder to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I think it’s safe to say the forecasted temperature did not materialise in anyway shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sleet in north Dub at the moment. Will probably be snow inland.

Edit: Dublin Airport reporting sleet also.

1c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sleet in north Dub at the moment. Will probably be snow inland.

Edit: Dublin Airport reporting sleet also.

1c

Sitting here in Sallins watching it inch toward me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Very light dusting in Naas overnight. Easier to walk in than the black ice the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dusting of snow in Kildare this morning 0°c

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Light snow covering West Wicklow, mountains white, currently light snow shower,1c.

I think it’s safe to say the forecasted temperature did not materialise in anyway shape or form.

They were actually bang on, to be fair. These were the temperatures at 8 am.

538497.png

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Clear and frosty morning - temp - 4.5c ( inland, lowland Sligo).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

They were actually bang on, to be fair. These were the temperatures at 8 am.

Not on that map....

Athenry and Markree both reporting -6c at 0800.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not on that map....

Athenry and Markree both reporting -6c at 0800.

That map only has the main synop stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

Snow in Straffan

JP85 wrote: »
    Snow in Straffan

Falling or on the ground? Or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

pad199207 wrote: »
    Falling or on the ground? Or both?

Both but stopped now, was a quicker shower with a small dusting, was a nice surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Heavy snow shower West Wicklow now, 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭appledrop

Raining here in NCD.

2 degrees.

Further snow showers in Kildare though brief -0.1°

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Frost already melting on the roof despite being -3c. It amazes me how we managed to keep the ground frozen for so long in 2010... and other years.

Now the frost seems to melt irrespective of the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Frost already melting on the roof despite being -3c. It amazes me how we managed to keep the ground frozen for so long in 2010... and other years.

Can someone explain why this is to me? is it relating to the high humidity? Or how saturated the ground is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Kamili wrote: »
    Can someone explain why this is to me? is it relating to the high humidity? Or how saturated the ground is?

I think in 2010... we had a thick covering of snow which has a higher ability to reflect the sun.

Other factors would be the side of a hill you live on. If you live on the east side you will keep most of your frost and snow as the sun will be on your side of the hill when it is weakest.

I say this because the 2018 cold spells in east Anglia was similar. One day we had a high of -2c and the frost still melted. Once the snow arrived, everything remained frozen solid.

Note though, the frost melts but the ice in the ponds don’t.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Well usually the sun would be getting to work on it ?

Advertisement