Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice, applied for public sector job

Options
  • 29-07-2020 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking for advice, applied to a large public body and got the below on 13-05-20

Dear Candidate,

Please be advised that you have been deemed eligible for interview for the above campaign.

Interviews will be held for each region and panels will be formed.

Could you please confirm which region you would like to be interviewed for via the email below before 12noon on Thursday

The rest of the notice was what region I wanted to be interviewed for, then yesterday I got the below

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your application for the position of the ________ Officer.

Due to the high volume of applications, we were required to short list based on the requirements of the post as outlined in the eligibility criteria in conjunction with the information provided by candidates. I regret to advise that your application will not be progressing to interview stage, on this occasion.

The results of short listing does not deem that some applicants are necessarily unsuitable or incapable of undertaking the job, rather that there are some candidates, who based on their application, demonstrated to be better qualified and/or have more relevant experience.

As you can see its a canned response to the job, being as its a public body is there anything I can do, I've already asked and the was told in the first notice that I was eligible but was shortlisted, then asked to speak with a manger, heard nothing back, however there is no mention that more shortlisting was going to happen in the first notice and I would get a interview in time.

Don't know if there is anything to do but I'm a bit pissed off, any advise is welcome even if its "Nay, get on with your life"

By the way I have well over 5 years experience and 2 directly in the same sector and a degree and etc etc etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tombom112 wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking for advice, applied to a large public body and got the below on 13-05-20

Dear Candidate,

Please be advised that you have been deemed eligible for interview for the above campaign.

Interviews will be held for each region and panels will be formed.

Could you please confirm which region you would like to be interviewed for via the email below before 12noon on Thursday

The rest of the notice was what region I wanted to be interviewed for, then yesterday I got the below

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your application for the position of the ________ Officer.

Due to the high volume of applications, we were required to short list based on the requirements of the post as outlined in the eligibility criteria in conjunction with the information provided by candidates. I regret to advise that your application will not be progressing to interview stage, on this occasion.

The results of short listing does not deem that some applicants are necessarily unsuitable or incapable of undertaking the job, rather that there are some candidates, who based on their application, demonstrated to be better qualified and/or have more relevant experience.

As you can see its a canned response to the job, being as its a public body is there anything I can do, I've already asked and the was told in the first notice that I was eligible but was shortlisted, then asked to speak with a manger, heard nothing back, however there is no mention that more shortlisting was going to happen in the first notice and I would get a interview in time.

Don't know if there is anything to do but I'm a bit pissed off, any advise is welcome even if its "Nay, get on with your life"

By the way I have well over 5 years experience and 2 directly in the same sector and a degree and etc etc etc

Thanks
    Who ran the competition was it PAS?
    They have a complaints procedure if you want to go down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

No, not PAS, they have there own portal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No, not PAS, they have there own portal
    Sounds like very little you can do then bar go back to them to clarify why you didn't make it

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I got exactly the same from Tusla a few months back.

Who shortlists after asking people for interview? Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

gmisk wrote: »
    `

But what's to complain about? The process is open an transparent at all stages. OP was eligible for interview, however after picking his/her region, there were more people who came higher than him on the shortlisting and s/he didn't make the cut off.

My guess would be that the region picked would be Dublin, meaning that OP probably would have made the cut for interview if they had picked Kerry or Sligo.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats what looks like happen, but the problem is no where in the first email did it say that. It just said you have an interview and where or what region would you like to be interviewed for. I can paste the whole lot if you want to see it.

I'd say their HR department pull the wings off fly's and then watch them dance till they die

Looks like its standard for them so Kathleen

Maybe with things getting back up and running they've put in new procedures for social distancing during interviews? This could mean that where they would have interviewed X number of people previously they're now cutting it to half that in order to avoid heavy footfall in the office and candidates packed side-by-side in waiting rooms.

Only a thought, I've no experience with public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Yeah thats what looks like happen, but the problem is no where in the first email did it say that. It just said you have an interview and where or what region would you like to be interviewed for. I can paste the whole lot if you want to see it.

I'd say their HR department pull the wings off fly's and then watch them dance till they die

No, it didn't say "you have an interview". It said you have been deemed eligible for interview. You should probably read the email properly and familiarise yourself with how these things work before complaining.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I've already asked and the was told in the first notice that I was eligible but was shortlisted,

The first email doesn't say you were shortlisted - just you were eligible for interview. Eligibility is just confirming you meet the requirements laid out on the job advert - not that you were shortlisted, or being invited to interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

OP the above was an brief insight into how these people see fit to do business.

If you had actually got the job then you'd have had the long and excruciatingly painful suffering of a whole career at the hands of these peoples whims, corruptions, inefficiencies, nepotistic behaviours etc etc.

In my experience these people erect multiple impediments to candidates from the private sector climbing on their gravy train....Its the way they like it.

I do think it could be clearer, as I too thought I'd got through to interview and in the very pleasant emails I had, I wasn't led to believe that shortlisting hadn't taken place yet (though to be fair, I didn't ask that specific question) As well as advising eligibility, the email did state,

"Could you please confirm which region you would like to be interviewed for via the email below before 12noon on Thursday"

I'm coming from the private sector so it just caught me out. It's all experience - I know now.

Hopefully this thread will give others a heads up.

***Edit***

Ooops - just edited as I'm coming from the private sector not public.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I suppose now you know
    it happens, and for a good reason they can't interview everyone.
    they need to whittle down again, i don't see any harm, except of course the disappointment
    when they send out jobs, they will never know how many will respond
    and then they have to interview a certain amount,
    and then you either pass or fail and get put on a panel
    and then you have to wait on a panel in the hope you get a job before the panel is retired

its exausting

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mango Joe wrote: »

If you had actually got the job then you'd have had the long and excruciatingly painful suffering of a whole career at the hands of these peoples whims, corruptions, inefficiencies, nepotistic behaviours etc etc.

In my experience these people erect multiple impediments to candidates from the private sector climbing on their gravy train....Its the way they like it.

Advertising for the craic, is it?

noodler wrote: »
    Advertising for the craic, is it?

whats your problem? i put an ad in for a position and got 96 replies.
    seriously want me to interview 46 people? get a grip idiot,

Yes, recruiting is a headache, in all sectors!

It did bring it home when I recently applied for a job and the application stated;

"...the competition will close at 5pm on Friday *date*, or when the total number of applications received reaches 1,200, whichever is the earlier."

Now that really threw me... :0)

keep applying.
    for all jobs
    something will give
    and if you do get an interview cross reference the competencies with your responses and make sure you get all the buzz words in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Augme

I am not sure many other public sector places recruit this way. Certainly don't in the civil service. It's a bizarre way to phrase it all and to me highlights a lack of thought or care for candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Absolute B.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Most likely they shortlisted again to bring number of candidates down solely for online interview purposes or interviews with social distancing. Try to remember they can't have too many candidates even in the waiting rooms these days etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah they are doing them through Microsoft Teams

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

whats your problem? i put an ad in for a position and got 96 replies.
    seriously want me to interview 46 people? get a grip idiot,

Not sure who you are but probably took me up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Pulling up the ladder, eh ;)

I've a long career in IT behind me - Over the years I've considered multiple IT positions as advertised on Publicjobs.

They really do have it set up that its just not practical to drop back to Grade whatever on 29k per annum to take up the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I've a long career in IT behind me - Over the years I've considered multiple IT positions as advertised on Publicjobs.

They really do have it set up that its just not practical to drop back to Grade whatever on 29k per annum to take up the position.

What has your experience to do with the OPs question? You have already posted nonsense in your previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

gmisk wrote: »

Yes. Yes. Force your way into a new job via the complaints procedure. Great idea!!

rock22 wrote: »
    What has your experience to do with the OPs question? You have already posted nonsense in your previous post.

I was replying to another Poster, were you having trouble following the thread?

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be a Bigot towards the opinions of others please.

The reference to my experience was that despite having the required skills, education and experience to walk into any number of Public service IT jobs the system as is prohibits this through making you start at a very low grade thus slashing your current earnings.

This is despite them supposedly endeavouring to attract the best and most suitable Candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be a Bigot towards the opinions of others please.

The reference to my experience was that despite having the required skills, education and experience to walk into any number of Public service IT jobs the system as is prohibits this through making you start at a very low grade thus slashing your current earnings.

This is despite them supposedly endeavouring to attract the best and most suitable Candidates.

And exactly how is all this relevant to the OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The suggestion that there is an intentional policy in place to stop private sector workers moving into the public sector is ridiculous.
    There are plenty hoops to jump through but the process is transparent and as fair or fairer than many recruitment procedures.
    As for the salary being lower than private sector, many would disagree with this. But it would depend on any number of variables and some though has to be given to other aspects of the package.

OP, this is unfortunate but it does look as if your location preference is a popular choice. Keep trying though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Mango Joe wrote:

That is certainly not true for IT. You can go in at any grade

Advertisement