Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

If Selby can nick this one he'll be delighted, going into tomorrow 5 - 3 down the way he's played is a serious result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Bottler.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Selby the curmudgeon trying get inside Ronnie's head by chasing a hopeless cause there. Hopeful he'll get blown away by dynamic and exciting break building, the antithesis of turgid safety battles.

Is 3 snookers that big a hopeless cause, one good safety shot could make that up, he's struggling against a player who has made a better start, don't blame him for giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ronnie does play those red pots from pink area to the baulk pockets a bit on the cavalier side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Have they increased the volume on the fake crowd noise this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Joe johnson.......sweet jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Selby will beat Ronnie. Poor standard of snooker and Ronnie simply too reckless. Selby safety play to win the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Enthralling session of snooker, enjoyed every shot of it. Ronnies only 5-3 up and I'm struggling to figure out why that is, kind of classic Selby i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Peter File wrote: »
    Have they increased the volume on the fake crowd noise this evening?

It sounds a bit better today with the one table. It was a bit muffled up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Selby should definitely be very relieved that he's only two frames behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Augme

Typical Selby really. He should be 6-2 or 7-1 down. That kind of session will play on Ronnie mind I feel and it will bring back all the worries he has facing Selby. He's like a a dog that just keeps snapping at your ankles and won't go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie should have put that last frame away to go 6-2. Still played the better snooker but Selby won't make the same mistakes tomorrow (I would imagine.)

There's still a lot of twists and turns with this one, I'll be glued to every frame tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭AllForIt

weemcd wrote: »
    Ronnie should have put that last frame away to go 6-2. Still played the better snooker but Selby won't make the same mistakes tomorrow (I would imagine.)

There's still a lot of twists and turns with this one, I'll be glued to every frame tomorrow.

Did Selby make a break over 50?

Ronnie lost at least 2 frames he should have won.

Selby won't be that happy overnight I don't think, despite that manageable looking scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Augme

AllForIt wrote: »
    Did Selby make a break over 50?

Ronnie lost at least 2 frames he should have won.

Selby won't be that happy overnight I don't think, despite that manageable looking scoreline.

He won't be happy but he will be very relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Joe Johnston is comical on Eurosport.

It was annoying my yesterday but today I’m just being entertained by his complete lack of an iota about what’s happening.

In the last 51 break he called Ronnie going into the pack off the green only for him to play for a clearly available red, quickly followed up by the declaration of a plant being on that he must be playing for only for Ronnie to go into the pack, and then telling us twice as the red was rolling for a miss at the green pocket that it was in.

Is actually entertaining how fawkng terrible he is.

What I'm going to say about Joe is funny in a calamitous way, kind of tragi comedy. He played Steve Davis in 2 successive World finals, won the first and lost the second, I'm not quite sure of the time line, but some time around then, Joe was making a fitness video, and had a heart attack :) thankfully he survived to entertain for many more years, I always remember his white suits years ago, cool out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I can't help thinking Ronnie will be the more dissppointed player tonight. It kind of reminds me of the final between them when Ronnie was on top and looked like finishing the second session by leading 11-6 but Selby somehow managed to win the final frame and limit the damage to 7-10.

Ronnie said it in his book that it effected him badly and he didn't sleep well that night even with a three frame lead. And he only needed eight more frames to win back then. Now he still needs 12 more frames and it is eerily similiar to that last frame of that session all those years ago.

That last frame tonight was sickening as a Ronnie fan. I'm sure all posters that support him on here will agree so imagine how he feels himself? Especially as he revealed all about how Selby mentally derailed him in that final.

6-2 was looking like a good lead and i was sure he was going to do it. But Selby the torturer supreme found a few bamboozling snookers and has no doubt sewn a few seeds of doubt in Ronnie's vulnerable mind. I hope Ronnie has Steve Peters or some other wise men in his ear now because it's easy to see him grimacing with regret already in his dressing room.

I look forward with a little trepidation to tomorrow's session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Ronnie is hammering Selby 5-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

For the first time in many years I think he's almost unflappable in this tournament. He seems to be able to put the bad frames and the bad shots out of his mind almost immediately. There's been no pushing the boat out even after quite a few straightforward misses in the earlier rounds. I can only remember maybe one or two times where he didn't play the right shot or took on a pot with too high a risk/reward ratio. I think today's play by and large was good enough to get beat The Torturer if he can maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What I'm going to say about Joe is funny in a calamitous way, kind of tragi comedy. He played Steve Davis in 2 successive World finals, won the first and lost the second, I'm not quite sure of the time line, but some time around then, Joe was making a fitness video, and had a heart attack :) thankfully he survived to entertain for many more years, I always remember his white suits years ago, cool out

At least he never went into coaching, because if a young player was taking advice from him they wouldn’t get far! His ability to read the table isn’t great to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Out of all the BBC/ITV and Eurosport snooker pundits and commentators i find most of them are good, many are entertaining and some are exceptional. The only two i don't particularly enjoy are Dennis Taylor and Joe Johnson. Dennis just talks a lot of childish nonsense, embarrasing people in the crowd like Patsy Fagan and Selbys wife every single time, waffling about golf and repeating the same stats and stories over and over. Joe Johnson just never shuts up. There is an art to sometimes staying silent and letting the viewer follow whats happening in peace. Clive Everton was a master at it. Most snooker fans are fairly knowdgeable but the likes of Joe Johnson sounds like he's commentating to a new audience of school kids who only tuned in for the first time. Usually if Dennis is on BBC you might be lucky with Johnson not on commentary on Eurosport at the same time but ive been caught with that most dreaded choice a few times over the course of this championship and once or twice the mute button came to the rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ah lads. Joe is much more entertaining to listen to than dry ****es like Doherty Taylor and Hendry.

Out of all the BBC/ITV and Eurosport snooker pundits and commentators i find most of them are good, many are entertaining and some are exceptional. The only two i don't particularly enjoy are Dennis Taylor and Joe Johnson. Dennis just talks a lot of childish nonsense, embarrasing people in the crowd like Patsy Fagan and Selbys wife every single time, waffling about golf and repeating the same stats and stories over and over. Joe Johnson just never shuts up. There is an art to sometimes staying silent and letting the viewer follow whats happening in peace. Clive Everton was a master at it. Most snooker fans are fairly knowdgeable but the likes of Joe Johnson sounds like he's commentating to a new audience of school kids who only tuned in for the first time. Usually if Dennis is on BBC you might be lucky with Johnson not on commentary on Eurosport at the same time but ive been caught with that most dreaded choice a few times over the course of this championship and once or twice the mute button came to the rescue.

While my enjoyment of watching snooker doesn’t in anyway match my abilities in playing it I do understand one aspect of the game which Joe Johnston doesn’t seem to get. When players are playing a few shots ahead all the time they are also leaving themselves options in a lot of positional play.

If Joe changed his commentating approach to highlighting the options available and the benefits or dangers of each instead of the exact shot that will be played and how it will be played he would not look as bad when that exact shot is regularly not Played.

This probably happens more with a player like Ronnie who approaches the game very differently to many others

Panrich wrote: »
    Ah lads. Joe is much more entertaining to listen to than dry ****es like Doherty Taylor and Hendry.

Entertaining yes.
    Accurate, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Entertaining yes.
    Accurate, No.

And that’s the whole point for me. I’ve been watching snooker since the 70s and I really don’t need commentary at all at this stage to work out what is the next shot. It just adds a bit of colour. I much prefer Joe’s style to Hendry for example who I just want to turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭raclle

Each to their own but I cant stand Johnson. Its like watching a soccer match and not knowing who the players are

Panrich wrote: »
    And that’s the whole point for me. I’ve been watching snooker since the 70s and I really don’t need commentary at all at this stage to work out what is the next shot. It just adds a bit of colour. I much prefer Joe’s style to Hendry for example who I just want to turn off.

It may add color, but with Joe it’s the wrong color he’s picking a lot of the time. The only commentary I like is when the former players give a good insight into what is happening currently and what the player is going to be trying to do in the next few shots.

Tbh I don’t pay much attention to it anyway, it’s only that I noticed how wrong joe calls a lot of things that my ears perked up, I’m just as happy to watch it with some music on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Commentators - nobody matches the great Ted Lowe
    They need to be calm and quietly spoken, with a sudden burst of excitement! Kinda like Cricket or Golf commentary.

This year of Covid it is weird without the clapping and occasional cough, weirder when the add canned audience noise.

Ronnie is the best player ever, while I normally like his crazy streak, he was out of order what he said about other players the other day

On the subject of crazy streaks - maybe they should bring back former BBC Presenter, and goalie and green party spspokesperson David Icke to spice up the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Joe Johnson over Hendry :eek:

I went back watching some of the old matches on YouTube and Ted Lowe is actually rubbish. Probably more a sign of the times than anything, but the commentary added nothing most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Who is that commentating on the Wilson/McGill match with John Parrott on BBC2 this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Who is that commentating on the Wilson/McGill match with John Parrott on BBC2 this morning?

"Whispering" Dave Farrar.

Advertisement