Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can something as incidental as a first time champion not retaining the trophy really be considered a “curse”. They refer to it like it’s an absolutely enormous shock.

Now if every first time champ was getting knocked out in the first round every year I might be inclined to suspect preternatural influence.

It could be a kind of self fulfilling thing in that it probably gets into players heads cos the bbc bang on so relentlessly about it. But its way overdone. Defending a title is hard whether you're first timer or not. Only ronnie and selby have done it in last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

Of course Trump can always say he held the title longer than any other first time champion of the Crucible era; and if Wilso wins he could possible claim to be the one who held it the shortest time.

All trivial nonsense, of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

McGill to give the curse a head-butt and a good kicking in 9 months time?

Can only be him, Maflin or Kyren Wilson anyway to be the next to try, all the others prior winners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I’ve never seen a sportsperson make a sport look so easy , the guy is an artist

• Registered Users Posts: 55,168 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’ve never seen a sportsperson make a sport look so easy , the guy is an artist

Ronnie?

What is score in his QF?

See it now: 8-8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

walshb wrote: »
    Ronnie?

What is score in his QF?

See it now: 8-8

Yes Ronnie making it look like pool on a table with huge pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yes Ronnie making it look like pool on a table with huge pockets

Speaking of pockets...Did Ronnie once demand the pockets to be measured, as he felt they weren't within regulation, or had i dreamt that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Too little too late for Trump. Lost it last night really at 6-2 over the session.

Wilson will probably go on to win this now (I don't really know) and lots of talk about the first round bye.

Wilson won't win, he doesn’t have the bottle in my opinion.

The winner will come from the other side of the draw, and it should be fairly easy for them. I thought Maflin could be a dark horse after his first round match, but not really now. It's another average World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Bad nicknames in this game, the jester from Leicester is a morose individual, the warrior is a mild mannered dude from Swindon, Kurt Maflin should be called the warrior instead of the viking, who is darts heavyweight(or maybe not, since his diet :) Andy Fordham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Brilliant long red with the white fairly tight on the cushions enables Williams to edge back in front. Looked very composed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Ah Ronnie, take the red over the corner. I am sickened by that miss.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"You never see him complaining, Ronnie O'Sullivan"

Not sure about that Joe.

Forget Shredsville, its Clangersville out there!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Crazy frame.

Horrible standard, Ronnie is absolutely dipped, 3 or 4 chances every frame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭BQQ

Jeez! I thought the McGill Clarke match was over

Ronnie looking good for 10-9 here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ronnie looking good for 10-9 here!

And yet again misses and easy pot throwing away the frame.

Sickening frame to lose.

Ronnie blew that...and Williams got luck!!!

• Advertisement

Ronnie blew that...and Williams got luck!!!

Luck goes both ways, Ronnie gets loads of it, he's just not as good as people think, if the standard is rubbish why doesn't he win it every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Sickening frame to lose.

He should have lost the one before it too after making a mistake

And yet again misses and easy pot throwing away the frame.

Yes..but Williams really nailed a lot of good pots to win it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Yes..but Williams really nailed a lot of good pots to win it..

He should never of had the chance to nail them though, the frame was at Ronnies mercy and he missed an easy pot, he's been doing it all tournament, his game is littered with errors.

He could still go onto win it though, the standard isn't great...but if he gets past williams its selby next and I can't see him beating him unless he stops with the unforced errors.

Best of 5 after the interval

He should never of had the chance to nail them though, the frame was at Ronnies mercy and he missed an easy pot, he's been doing it all tournament, his game is littered with errors.

He could still go onto win it though, the standard isn't great...but if he gets past williams its selby next and I can't see him beating him unless he stops with the unforced errors.

Yes. I think over 33 frames Selby is too tough and tuned in and clinical..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pink was pushing the boat a bit too far by williams there. No need for it.

Compared to the drudgery in some other matches this is great entertainment. It maybe error strewn at times but it's fast and furious between two of the best.

Best of 5 after the interval

10 all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hard to watch O’Sullivan when he’s like this, feel like he could miss anything. Only he can play that badly and still make a century.

Advertisement