Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That was a beautifully controlled frame from Wilson. Never looked under any pressure and great shot choices. Nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Just entering the 'it's the hope that kills you' phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

If Ronnie can win this mini session and trail 9-7 it will make tonights session pretty exciting. 2-2 wwont suffice here. He has to win this mini session.

Reasonable chance of this happening now. Would make a great finish tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Williams looking vulnerable all of a sudden. Missed that brown by a mile. Come on Ronnie punish him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Williams looking vulnerable all of a sudden. Missed that brown by a mile. Come on Ronnie punish him.

The brown was a shocking shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

I am going to feel silly when I see the answer to this I’m sure, but that stat that Taylor quoted about no player coming back and defending a World title at the Crucible since the 1920s - did Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O Sullivan not all do it? What am I missing?

Edit: Ah, no ‘first time’ winner. Just clarified in studio. I missed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

eigrod wrote: »
    I am going to feel silly when I see the answer to this I’m sure, but that stat that Taylor quoted about no player coming back and defending a World title at the Crucible since the 1920s - did Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O Sullivan not all do it? What am I missing?

No first time champion has come back and defended the title at the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

No first time champion has returned to defend the title while its been held in sheffield

No first time champion since the Crucible started hosting in 1977 has defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ronnie going for the jugular here. Showing off, Williams will do well to get out at 9-7.

• Advertisement

Odds in running

Ronnie 4/9
    Williams 7/4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not always been Wilson's biggest fan but he looks very very solid. Gone just about tournament favourite for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

None in the next year. Spencer, Reardon, Davis, Hendry, Doherty, Ronnie, Williams, Higgins, Selby all didnt retain after the first win. Trump now too. Doherty probably got the closest.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Can't see Ronnie winning 11 of the next 16 or whatever it is.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 31,260 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm sure it's been commented upon in here already, but that fake clapping is really freaking me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Another Century for Ronnie. More consistency in his play now.

The Nal wrote: »
    None in the next year. Spencer, Reardon, Davis, Hendry, Doherty, Ronnie, Williams, Higgins, Selby all didnt retain after the first win. Trump now too. Doherty probably got the closest.

Joe Johnson in 1987 was closest (by the matter of 2 frames closer than Ken!)

Dont know about others but iwould hate to see Wilson in the final. I dont like watching him play at all so to have him in the final, especially against Selby would be very unappealing to me.

Passenger wrote: »
    Another Century for Ronnie. More consistency in his play now.

Still liable to play an absolute stinker of a safety or miss a routine pot thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been commented upon in here already, but that fake clapping is really freaking me out.

Somebody must be standing there pressing some sort of "clapping" button which is indeed peculiar. :pac:

I think it's awful that one of Maflin/McGill v Wilson will be in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Passenger wrote: »
    Somebody must be standing there pressing some sort of "clapping" button which is indeed peculiar. :pac:

They should get Jamie Clarke to do it. He would love to be pressing the button just as someone draws back the cue.......:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Trump wasn't awful there, he played alright. Had some bad luck at crucial points, the in off in the final frame. He did try to force things at some points when it wasn’t really advisable, but that's his style.

Fair play Ronnie. Hats off as that was a fantastic session of snooker..He has shown a lot of bottle and fight. Roll on 7pm.

Fair play Ronnie. Hats off as that was a fantastic session of snooker..He has shown a lot of bottle and fight. Roll on 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Can something as incidental as a first time champion not retaining the trophy really be considered a “curse”. They refer to it like it’s an absolutely enormous shock.

Now if every first time champ was getting knocked out in the first round every year I might be inclined to suspect preternatural influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

*cancels all plans for this evening*

That could easily have been an 8-0 session for Ronnie but it doesn't even seem like he played that well, or Williams that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What was the session like overall?
    I only watched the very first frame and while it was still only 9th frame of the match I though it was a body blow the way he ended up losing it.

Didn't see the session finishing 8 a piece after it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

zuutroy wrote: »
    That could easily have been an 8-0 session for Ronnie but it doesn't even seem like he played that well, or Williams that badly.

Nicely poised for tonight anyway, good even game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Too little too late for Trump. Lost it last night really at 6-2 over the session.

Wilson will probably go on to win this now (I don't really know) and lots of talk about the first round bye.

Advertisement