Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sabat wrote: »
    UCC no?

No UCD.... She has a book you know it's called RACE.... It's basically an attack on white folk such as us Irish that just happened to be a white nation.

When will they fit the statue's back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm sure she'd walk into a job anywhere with her qualifications.
    Oh but she will. There is a large and booming NGO industry in this country.

Well lord knows there is a big appetite in the developed West for paying people to lecture us about how racist we are. It's a strange kind of masochism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Maybe this actually is true, but the source of the story appears to be racist scrotes on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

sabat wrote: »
    I see rumours elsewhere that intellectual titan Dr Joseph has been quietly given the heave-ho from UCD. Developing story no doubt...

I'm surprised cause I thought people like her would just get away with saying what they like

But if true, it's great news. Could not happen to nicer woman.

Would take with pinch of salt at minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Well lord knows there is a big appetite in the developed West for paying people to lecture us about how racist we are. It's a strange kind of masochism.

We need our dose of catholic guilt from somewhere now that we don't go to mass as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When will they fit the statue's back?

Would be nice to have them back before Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

A recession proof industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

She's going to be a brand ambassador for Ribena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'd take that with caution, unusual to let a lecturer go in mid-term, it's usually at the end of a semester or end of an academic year.

She also lectures in a couple of colleges, probably for a couple of hours a week in each, so it could be one of a few colleges, in fact I'd be surprised it's UCD, they are usually 'woke'.

If she has been let go then she'll probably depict it as racism rather than disinterest in her modules/courses or her own personal failings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

KevRossi wrote: »
    I'd take that with caution, unusual to let a lecturer go in mid-term, it's usually at the end of a semester or end of an academic year.

She also lectures in a couple of colleges, probably for a couple of hours a week in each, so it could be one of a few colleges, in fact I'd be surprised it's UCD, they are usually 'woke'.

If she has been let go then she'll probably depict it as racism rather than disinterest in her modules/courses or her own personal failings.

She’s also a Careers Officer in one of the other Unis too - God help them!!!!

When will people actually wake up to all this rubbish?

Guests in this country have been some of the most racist people I've ever come across.

Woke, antifa and BLM seem to be the most powerful now and we should take a knee or bow to them.

It's actually shocking what's been allowed happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

she'll probably depict it as racism

She seems capable of little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So 4 and a half months after removal they are back up, having had a light restoration to boot. How long till they are vandalised? Paddy Power might open a book on them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/1215/1184552-shelbourne-hotel-statues/
    Four statues that were temporarily removed from plinths outside the Shelbourne hotel in Dublin last July have been reinstated.

The statues, depicting women holding torches, have been a familiar sight there for 153 years but they were taken down after being mistakenly identified as slaves.

Their reinstatement follows a special report on the statues by Paula Murphy, one of Ireland's foremost experts on sculpture, which was carried out in order to fully understand the provenance of the statues and place them within their proper context.

The reinstallation took place after professional restoration work was carried out on the statues, as recommended in this expert report, and in line with statutory consent received from Dublin City Council.

The Mathurin Moreau pieces were sculpted in 1867 in Paris.

The decision to take them down prompted complaints to Dublin City Council that the removal was a breach of planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

How long till they are vandalised? Paddy Power might open a book on them.

Doesn't seem likely does it?
    Don't know anyone that wanted them gone.
    IMO most people did not care very much, or thought taking them down was a bit of US silliness (hotel owners getting carried away with "Black Lives Matter" iconoclasm).

edit: the way that the company just went and did it when apparently they should have sought permission etc. was more concerning.
    That type of thing seems to be a common enough with property owners in Ireland (planning laws, construction standards etc. are guidelines you can just ignore if you are "cute"/brazen/have enough money).

fly_agaric wrote: »
    edit: the way that the company just went and did it when apparently they should have sought permission etc. was more concerning.
    That type of thing seems to be a common enough with property owners in Ireland (planning laws, construction standards etc. are guidelines you can just ignore if you are "cute"/brazen/have enough money).

Under any normal situation, a property owner would, and should be allowed to do what they like about the presentation of their property. They're the ones paying for maintenance and everything else that goes along with such a place.

The only reason anyone was bothered about this was the racism angle. Had they been taken down for any other reason, probably nobody would have noticed, or few would have cared. One way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Under any normal situation, a property owner would, and should be allowed to do what they like about the presentation of their property. They're the ones paying for maintenance and everything else that goes along with such a place.

The only reason anyone was bothered about this was the racism angle. Had they been taken down for any other reason, probably nobody would have noticed, or few would have cared. One way or another.

It’s a listed building, they cannot do what they like about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

No matter what your stance on racism is, there is a worrying trend of tearing down art and trying to erase history due to somebody being offended. That's not right.

Also, to a lesser extent I would imagine that out of the thousands or more, potentially tens of thousands, that walk by that hotel on their daily routine to work or home an awful lot would notice that they are gone and wonder why as they are very nice feature on a very prominent and famous building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Also, to a lesser extent I would imagine that out of the thousands or more, potentially tens of thousands, that walk by that hotel on their daily routine to work or home an awful lot would notice that they are gone and wonder why as they are very nice feature on a very prominent and famous building.

My thoughts exactly. I used to work just off Stephen’s Green and walked by the Shelbourne daily. They really enhance the visual aesthetics of an already beautiful part of the city. Happy to see the statues restored.

A secondary benefit is that this represents a small first step in pushing back against the lunacy propagated by Ebun Joseph. Her appearances around this topic on RTE and Newstalk really exposed her aggressive, irrational demeanor.

• Advertisement

No matter what your stance on racism is, there is a worrying trend of tearing down art and trying to erase history due to somebody being offended. That's not right.

I suspect my stance on racism is the same as most people... deal what really exists, and stop looking to pretend it's a problem.

I'm not, even slightly, supporting this outrage movement. It's utterly retarded, in my eyes, and our historical monuments/artifacts should be protected.

Sure, I'd imagine most would. All the same, I simply meant that they would be able to take them down for their own reasons for a short time, and I doubt anyone would have cared much.

I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that It was only the reaction to the racism outrage that generated the resistance to them being taken down. I understand some of the restrictions regarding what a listed building can do.

Still I stand corrected. Cheers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair play to Michael McDowell he called it right from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

elperello wrote: »
    Fair play to Michael McDowell he called it right from day one.

Yep and had to debate it on prime time with that Joseph woman at the time.
    McDowell tends to bring alot of common sense to any given topic he is discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep and had to debate it on prime time with that Joseph woman at the time.
    McDowell tends to bring alot of common sense to any given topic he is discussing.

The man deserves a medal for getting through that ‘debate’ with dignity.

Not only did he have to engage with an ill-informed, loudmouth opponent, he also had to tolerate a biased RTÉ moderator who was tacitly supporting the good doctor.

Have to say that the thought occurred to me at the time, that had McDowell initiated the referendum on the 27th amendment a couple of years earlier, that Prime Time debate would never have happened.

But then we would have been deprived of Ebun Joseph’s towering intellect. What an irreplaceable loss to the nation that would be..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It’s a listed building, they cannot do what they like about it.

Even if it is not listed, you would be limited to what you can change about the appearance of a building without planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I made a complaint to the planning department pointing out the premises was on the Register of Protected Structures and suggesting an enforcement notice be issued or if necessary, enforcement proceedings.

The management of the Shelbourne are not above the Law. How could the possibly think their actions were lawful in unilaterally removing said statutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    How could the possibly think their actions were lawful in unilaterally removing said statutes.

Because they thought everyone would be in on the publicity stunt, which is what this was. The custodians (not owners) of this building are an American conglomerate and the guy who made the complaint in the first place is American too. They were looking to jump on a bandwagon for optic purposes, but neglected to understand that their silly American faux social politicking doesn't travel too well to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Tony EH wrote: »
    Because they thought everyone would be in on the publicity stunt, which is what this was. The custodians (not owners) of this building are an American conglomerate and the guy who made the complaint in the first place is American too. They were looking to jump on a bandwagon for optic purposes, but neglected to understand that their silly American faux social politicking doesn't travel too well to other countries.

Eventhough it was a publicity stunt for the " woke" generation whatever that is the Law is the Law and if a complaint is made the Local Authority Planning Enforcement section are obliged to act especially for such an important protected structure as the Shelbourne. As Michael Mc Dowell SC pointed out on RTE there are serious sanctions for such breaches.The sheer audacity of the Shelbourne. No research even undertaken on the history of these statutes or of Planning Law. The owners should have been fully ai fait with planning Law and the effects of being on the register of protected structures ( not referred to as "listed") having recently refurbished the premises.Thankfully the statutes were not destroyed. I often admire them although I rarely frequent the Shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's hardly surprising that you have race baiters and grifters coming out of the woodwork at every opportunity. White guilt is big business. BLM and related groups have received $10.6 billion since May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

nj27 wrote: »
    She seems capable of little else.

Why would she ?? She has a great life by telling Irish people how racist they are while talking our taxpayers money .

Advertisement