Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Soccer isn't the only sport lads. Plus there was soccer coverage one day with LOI...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭jones

I've a lot of sport interests not just football but it just wasn't a good week in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I thought the LOI slot was ok. The guys talk about needing to talk about the narrative and some of the stories but yet again go on to have the same conversation as usual about RTE and TV coverage. As was mentioned, there were plenty of stories this year, Richie Towell, Dundalk legend, snubbing Dundalk to play for Rovers. That story alone has loads of interesting facets. So why not talk about some of these stories.

I often skip the GAA pods but I do think Oisin McConville is excellent. When I do listen to that slot it is mainly because he is worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Have cancelled my sub. Feel a bit of a cheapskate but I have too much other stuff to listen to. You still get one football podcast per week free, no? That would be enough for me...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Murph is burning the midnight oil, we'll see how he functions tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ken's absence was keenly felt again today. The lads didn't even seem that pushed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That lions chat was hard going. Same gripe as always, as soon as they start talking tactics it just gets too insider to be entertaining or informative.

They had a saffie on last week discussing the ongoing issues in SA and that was a good chat, but the actual on field analysis leaves an awful lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Love the Olympic chat.

Skip the Lions chat. The only way rugby talk can ever be saved is when they have Ken Burley on.

Only one Monday pod? No GAA discussion yet is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

GAA was meant to be Tuesday but pushed back due to Mona McSharry's heroics in the Olympics (rightly so too - congrats to her on an amazing performance).

However, I thought it strange for the Lions chat to be on the Monday.

I enjoy rugby, not a die-hard by any means but would watch 6 Nations for example and listen to their chats on it and the Champions Cup, but it seemed strange to put it in there on their flag-ship weekly show. Personally, I find the Lions and its whole concept as being one I cannot get my head around or even feign interest in, so that might feed into my bias but there is a lot more going on in the world of sport...GAA obviously heating up and being a passion of mine, and the Olympics and all the stories around that, that to shoe-horn the Lions in seemed unusual. Maybe they had scheduling issues with the 2 guests but it was an instant skip for me as I just do not find it interesting and the corporate speak of rugby in general is grinding enough.

Obviously, that's my opinion and SC will know much more based on their listenership which sports are more popular so who am I to complain!😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

With the gold medals in rowing and Joe Canning's retirement, might get a bumper pod later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well after a mere 37 minutes yesterday, you would hope they are planning something more substantial alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Found it strange that the Slate journalist wouldn't clarify what she meant by her "toxic" comment when asked, choosing to deflect instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

It's a bit disappointing that we're down to 2 of the final 4 of the All-Ireland football championship, and almost zero time dedicated to that in the past week. By today's episode description that isn't going to change. Sacrificed to the Lions!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Can someone explain why they have Sinead O'Carroll on to talk Olympics? Nothing against her but she's not a sports journalist and she's not a former athlete or pro sportsperson?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Must have heard a hundred times from her that she plays club Camoige. Which seems to be her main qualification.

I think she's a decent enough outside perspective every time she's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I think she's grand. Wouldn't go out of my way to listen to the sections she's on but she's clearly a big fan of sports and is interested in the stuff she asked on to chat about.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

I'd expect more than that from a podcast I'm paying for though to be honest. Gavan Reilly is a big Man United fan, I wouldn't expect them to have him on to preview the new premier league season.

• Advertisement

Ken going mental about the two lads sharing the gold medal was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

A pair of amoebas is the funniest line I’ve heard from Ken in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Is this Monday or Tuesdays pod ? When I saw all that GAA and “the Lions” coverage I didn’t listen….

Thank God Ken is back. I can never remember the show being as dull as it was during the last fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

The amount of brilliant lines or funny tales you'd miss from pods you'd never think of listening to is unreal. I don't like the rugby chat, or some other topics, but I also listen to the intro of every pod in case I miss something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Funnily enough, the title had "....AND Ken returns" :D I found it funny, they all knew we needed him back!

Almost pointless at this stage them talking about the GAA, it's been covered by all the other pods and channels, and everything feels like an age ago now. It's madness leaving it this long, especially considering there was two finals, and one of them was particularly entertaining. The Olympics can be stripped back for one day, people aren't that interested in them daily.

• Advertisement

Have to disagree there, give me Olympics coverage every day.

Advertisement