Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Really? Conan O'Brien? Wow, that's pretty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I hope Jamie Wall gets to talk to Conan and use some Simpsons references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think Conan is doing an episode of his travel show here. Maybe they will feature in it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't listen to his podcast but saw on Reddit He's had some non famous Irish people on his podcast recently, looks like he was planning on doing a visit of Ireland alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just catching up on Ken's Oppenheimer review..."He was a bit of a shaper" 😂😂😂

Classic Ken and I have to say he's not entirely wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

That discussion about injury time was fairly soul crushing, thankfully they saved the pod with the synth chat at the end

I had to skip through it. Worse than the rugby chat ha.

He was a tough listen whoever he is. Didn't get the impression he really knew what he was on about

I see OFTB is going behind a paywall €9.99 per month

Wouldn't listen if it was free, a lot of their content is piss poor stuff. Unless they're actually getting some proper contributiors/presenters

Joe Molloy and Dan McDonnell are very good to be fair, rest of em seem fairly clueless

• Advertisement

Sometimes they get good contributors for their podcast, I find Ghrame hunter to be hilarious, Philip O Claire!… but the actual presenters are awful…their banter turns the stomach

I only listen to OTB the odd time, but I've noticed lately loads of Second Captains contributors have been on it. Of course I can't think of many of them now. Kaitlin Thompson, Tim Vickery, I think I even heard Malachy Clerkin on it once.

Edit: Johnathan Wilson is another one

Never realised all them were on it. I guess it depends who's interviewing them really, if it's Joe Molloy it'll be interesting but if its Ger Gilroy or John Duggan, it'll be horseshit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember flicking stations awhile ago and Joe Molloy was talking to Caitlin about the Becker doc, a few weeks after SC had her on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have no problem with all the extra time. I think it's great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've seen two tweets with about a hundred replies, virtually all of them negative, but I remember everyone thinking SC lads were crazy for leaving Newstalk, they are seen as pioneers now, time will tell how it will work out for OTB.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Big difference here is that the SC presenters are great at what they do, likeable lads, and not preaching from a high horse and placing an overinflated importance on their own opinions. I think this OTB approach will last until end of this year at best with the price point they set.

Maybe I zoned out (wasn't a great discussion) but I thought they missed a fairly obvious point with the comparison of matches from back in the day having similar ball-in-play time... namely that the athletes of the day back then were likely smoking 40 rothmans a day and drinking pints in between games, so their conditioning was surely far inferior to today's players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

I know this parish has a mixture of views on OTB, but I think this is a bit of leap. Most of the contributors to the Football Show can be found on SC or FW or on one of the many Athletic podcasts. Would you shelling out for the Rugby or GAA content?

The only OTB hosts I'd go out of my way to listen to these days would be Joe or Tommy Rooney. It's tough enough having to listen to Ger, Richie etc pontificate on the matters of the day without having to pay for the privilege. Best of luck to them, but I wouldn't be confident that it will be a success. Funnily enough Ger never cited the SC when he was namechecking content that had gone behind a paywall....

• Advertisement

I very rarely listen to OTB.

Occasionally I come across it and can only put up with it for a few minutes max - they come across as really boring to me and there's just something about Ger Gilroy that's not likable or interesting to listen to.

But, I realise that's a very small sample size. Honestly, are they any good or is my hot-take on their output accurate?

10 quid a month seems very, very steep for sports content. With SC it was as much, if not more, to do with paying for content from the lads rather than what they were talking about: they'd built up a following. Can that really be said for the OTB guys?

You appear to write fluently and think cogently.

I only ever listen to them when in the car by myself. There are some good contributors to the show, but the overarching problem is the presenters who just come across as extremely dull/odd/smarmy (depending on who it is presenting) in the main. Joe Molloy is obviously an excellent presenter but again is a bit dull/too serious.

Why would I look to pay to listen to any of the contributors to OTB when they are available to listen to making similar points on a number of other podcasts but with far more interesting/enjoyable hosts engaging with them in the conversation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Acosta

That's way too expensive in fairness. I doubt many would be interested in all the content they put out. They have some decent presenters, but they also have promoted some really poor ones recently to more prominent positions.

I won't be subscribing to it but €10 isn't really way too expensive if you are actively listening to a large amount of their output. They have dedicated GAA, rugby, football, hurling, golf, etc podcasts. Lots of other stuff too. I guess the issue is that most people won't listen to all of those. So, it's a bit like a sky sports subscription when the only thing you watch is soccer, why do you want to pay for lots of other sports too. Whereas SC, I listen to almost every single pod they put out (I skip through some sections/certain people).

One of the most frustrating things for me would be the fact that you have to use their app to listen and it won't go straight into your podcast feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I mainly only listen when Joe is on, he is an excellent presenter and the gulf between him and the rest is enormous - which is a serious issue for them. Re the dull/serious comment, agreed he was like that in the past, but have definitely noticed a change in the last year or two. He seems more relaxed and open, and can be very witty in his responses at times.

As many have observed, there's a huge disconnect between price point for the quality of output. But it appears they've done the research and seem happy to take the risk.

Yes he may have loosened up, but that is in no way comparable to the SC lads and the stories they might divulge whether it be Ken's travels, "Gallons" Murphy, or Eoin's slightly awkward interactions with people. This is the type of stuff that has people willing to stump up a few quid to get access to their content.

OTB having a bunch of drones presenting/interviewing the same contributors that SC (and others) have access to is not going to entice people into paying twice the price of what SC scharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Originally I listened to a lot of second captains when they did 7-10 on newstalk the next morning in work on the newstalk player. For someone who hasn't listened to OTB since the lads left, are they no longer on the radio? Is it podcast only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I listened to OTBAM this morning on the Go Loud app. That's staying where it is, as is the radio show on Newstalk in the evenings and weekends. It's just the podcasts they do. Some of which are just clips from the shows, others are dedicated.

There's only so much time in the day to listen to so much content, and as others have said many of the contributors are doing the rounds on various platforms.

I have to agree with most about the presenters. Adrian, Nathan, Eoin I just don't get them, it's like they're trying to mix The Den with a sports show. Except the Den was funnier. John Duggan has improved, he's relaxed the snarky tone response thing he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah ten euro is way too much for what they offer. They'd want to have Joe Molloy doing everything including interviews if it's behind a paywall.

Crappy quiz going behind a paywall too?? The forced banter is mighty......

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

It seems to be the case that the radio shows area carrying on as normal, and I think OTBam can still be watched live every morning on Youtube. I think.

So it's the other podcasts and that you have to pay for, which to me seems hopeful in the extreme.

I hardly ever listen and when I do it's just the radio show, and the content seems to have an awful lot of bits from OTBam and that. Plus an awful, awful lot of ads for OTB.

I wonder how many subscribers their golf podcast gets. That was behind a paywall for a number of years at 4 euros a month . Think it only did one episode a week but may have changed since.

If you're a subscriber and was forced to now pay ten a month, could see a good few cancelling

Today's trance entries. Not for me

They need to put a donk on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yeah very poor.

Enjoyed the Imran Khan chat having not been overly enthusiastic when reading the podcast description.

Post edited by Brock Turnpike on

• Advertisement

There are only a handful of things the lads do that I just don't dig.

Synth week, alas, is one of them.

Give me grunge week any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

I think the actual synth in synth week etc is a load of sh*t but i enjoy them craic they have with each other about them so its all good for me.

Anyone else have the SC outro play over the lads talking about synth week around 1hr 12m mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Yeah, ironically just after they talked about podcasting while drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Yep I didn't know what was going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You don't remember Ken and Murph nearly coming to blows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Wasn't a fan of grunge week, it only really had the one effort in it.

Enjoyed today. Standard wasn't bad

Probably a couple of years ago, I think it was about supporting the Ireland football team.

I do remember Ken behaved disgracefully.

Was it the results versus performance argument that went on a bit?

Was it the one where Ken asked what is it about this that triggers you so much? to an at that point not at all triggered Murph?

Just listening to today's show now, the intro chat is very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Murph is getting on my nerves again lately cutting across others. He jumps in when they're practically opening their mouth or are halfway through their sentences, to say pretty much the same thing they're saying. It's really annoying.

His shtick is the more excitable one of the crew but talking over Eoin Ken and Simon repeatedly on every pod in the last week means I'd like him to be taking holidays for a fortnight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement