Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday with Miriam

Options

Comments

I have the feeling that Colm Toibín is an extremely nice individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Lillian Smith sounds totally different than she did when she presented weekends Late Date around 10 years ago. It's like listening to a different presenter.

I wish Lilian Smith would go back to late date. There was a wan on recently with a 2fm accent ,totally unsuitable for winding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wish Lilian Smith would go back to late date. There was a wan on recently with a 2fm accent ,totally unsuitable for winding down.

I think thats probably Sheelagh Dempsey who's been standing in for Fiachna while he's been standing in for Creedon. The other night she played a Captain Beefheart track and afterwards admitted she knew nothing about Don and solicited advice from listeners as to stuff she should listen to. Instinctively i thought, a music presenter who knows nothing about Captain Beefheart ffs, but then i wondered if this wasn't just another clear sign it's just i'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think thats probably Sheelagh Dempsey who's been standing in for Fiachna while he's been standing in for Creedon. The other night she played a Captain Beefheart track and afterwards admitted she knew nothing about Don and solicited advice from listeners as to stuff she should listen to. Instinctively i thought, a music presenter who knows nothing about Captain Beefheart ffs, but then i wondered if this wasn't just another clear sign it's just i'm getting old.

And cranky. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

KaneToad wrote: »
    And cranky. ;)

Definitely no argument there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Loike totes amazeballs I'm assuming. I don't listen to Late Date, but I'd kind of miss Lilian on weekend mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Lillian sets me up for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Cap'n never gets mentioned on in a lot of best band debates so yeah, it's easy to not have heard of him. Fair play to her for the bit of honesty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

The Cap'n never gets mentioned on in a lot of best band debates so yeah, it's easy to not have heard of him. Fair play to her for the bit of honesty :)

I checked and I do know (of) that girl. She is a whole generation after Beefheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

PMBC wrote: »
    I checked and I do know (of) that girl. She is a whole generation after Beefheart.

At least she didn’t get into where he, allegedly, got the name from.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It's understandable, while the Captain may have been well known in certain circles, his music was never mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imelda May with her poetry, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imelda May with her poetry, I'm out.

Left radio on after the news to see who might be on the programme, Imelda May. Does she live in RTE ?. Salt-o-de-eert.
    Sickens me.

Left radio on after the news to see who might be on the programme, Imelda May. Does she live in RTE ?. Salt-o-de-eert.
    Sickens me.

She lives in England. Talking about it now.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Cancer death and abortion guests on this morning ..happy days!!

Cancer death and abortion guests on this morning ..happy days!!

Thought the interview with the hospice lady was good.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot of feeling-based stuff and food which I find a turn-off.

Brendan O Connor comes across as having some sort of slight eating disorder or food and exercises health obessison thing going on.

The amount of psychology and self-help stuff as well.

Some of the interviews are good the Richard Dawkins one was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Why does Miriam insist on using the word mum when mentioning guests mothers, which she does quite a lot? I get that its become widely used in day to day speech in this country but for broadcasting standards whats stopping her from using the more neutral "mother"?

was it mum or "mom" ?

was it mum or "mom" ?

Its always mum with her, "tell me about your mum".

• Advertisement

She's at it again with the elderly gent on at the moment. He refers to his mother a few times, using that word and she has to go and say mum.

She's at it again with the elderly gent on at the moment. He refers to his mother a few times, using that word and she has to go and say mum.

That's was an interesting guest. I had it on in the background and only caught the end of it. I must listen back to it.

I did catch the promo and I found something a little odd. Miriam referred to Vicki Phelan supporters as "fans". I know it sounds pedantic. But it just sits wrong with me.

I feel sorry for Vicki Phelan and the horrible situation she is in. But I can't help feeling she is being exploited by RTE.

She is on so often she must be close to being a full time staffer.

I feel sorry for Vicki Phelan and the horrible situation she is in. But I can't help feeling she is being exploited by RTE.

It could well be her choice ...and in newspapers etc.

It could well be her choice ...and in newspapers etc.

You think she is just one of those people who likes attention.

Either way I still think it is exploitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't know who is to 'blame'...RTE, Vicky Phelan or a bit of both...but it does all feel a bit exploitative, even inappropriate at times. If the media focus is on her cervical check/women's health advocacy, then more power to everyone, but it seems to have become something else and that piece today was an example of it. I don't really know how to describe it...just feels a bit 'off' for me.

But I do hope it all works out for her, as I would for anyone with cancer.

Cole wrote: »
    I don't know who is to 'blame'...RTE, Vicky Phelan or a bit of both...but it does all feel a bit exploitative, even inappropriate at times. If the media focus is on her cervical check/women's health advocacy, then more power to everyone, but it seems to have become something else and that piece today was an example of it. I don't really know how to describe it...just feels a bit 'off' for me.

But I do hope it all works out for her, as I would for anyone with cancer.

Listening today it just felt intrusive. I felt very uncomfortable listening.

And as the poster said. I really hope everything works out for her.

Christ, Brendan Graham again. I’m sure he’s a lovely guy but I, honestly, can’t listen to another story about ‘You Raise Me Up’.

Should have switched over to Newstalk after ‘Sunday Miscellany’ straight away.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just tuned in. never normally listen. but how do people listen to this stuff.

" can't let you go without mentioining you raise me up says miriam "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

That version of You Raise me Up wasn’t great - the original Brian Kennedy is the best in my opinion. Mind you I’m a bit tired of the song at this stage.

I was wondering what the song was about 15 minutes into the show? Possibly in Irish?

Advertisement