Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs From an Empty Room.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

fluke wrote: »
    Thanks human 19. Will def give these a listen. Hopefully rejuvenate my belief in Irish based music.

I'd say A Lazarus Souls last album will have something you like on it. They seem to be getting very little backing though for how good the album was. Most every day people I meet never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Where do I start re my music interests. Lately listening to Father John Misty, Phoebe Bridgers, Anna Meredith, Sharon van Etten, Taylor Swift.

Don't mind U2 haha
    and as your your Taylor Swift.....she doesn't have a patch on this

I starting checking out acts that were appearing at festivals , so I could stop showing up during an acts final song and fuming that I missed the whole set. I compiled my favourites on spotify playsists

One that was built up over 2 years was "Recent Irish Festivals", and a new one I started this year for newer acts "2020 Irish festivals"., if you want to look for them on Spotify

human 19 wrote: »
    so maybe Indie folk...

That malojian communion girls video is the best irish video I've seen in decades

That malojian communion girls video is the best irish video I've seen in decades

talking about great recent irish videos...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Genuine question-is there any particular new Irish acts you'd recommend? I just caught Denise Chiala and she was good, but I'm done with Danny Reilly, Gavin James, Picture This and Bressie getting exposure.

It seems like RTE keep digging into the same small bowl.
    So many good Irish acts

Fontaines DC
    Lankum
    Junior Brother
    Ye Vagabonds
    Slow Moving Clouds
    Mango X Mathman
    TALOS
    Ghostking is Dead
    Post-Punk Podge
    The Scratch
    Mary Wallopers /TPM
    Lisa O'Neill
    Girlband
    Ma-Ka
    Maija Sofia
    Hey Rusty
    Bats
    Loah
    St Sister
    Pillow Queens
    Just Mustard
    KNEECAP

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head but support these by listening on various platforms, sharing with people who might be in to them, following their social media and if you like them yourself, buy their merch and stuff.

• Advertisement

some fun rock from Dublin

As above fontaines dc had such a great album out recently I forgot they were an Irish band.

Yer man from dundalk or louth as well David Sheenan had a good album.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That is a great video. The credits say animation by Lumo and a website address www.littlelumo.com but it leads to a dead link for me

human 19 wrote: »
    some fun rock from Dublin

That's so funny, my band used that skeleton stock footage in one of our videos as well :D

There's some Lordi vibe off them.

This thread has some great music in it!

Katie Laffan is class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Acosta

Good cause but a lot of that would and should be performing to an empty room all the time if not for the money they or their backers pay PR companies to get them radio play and exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

As above fontaines dc had such a great album out recently I forgot they were an Irish band.

Meh, they make an ok noise, but could do with some melodic content, for my tastes anyway.

trashcan wrote: »
    Meh, they make an ok noise, but could do with some melodic content, for my tastes anyway.

I'm all about the Post-Punk.

The shame of it for me is that they've got this working class image that they plug but they're clearly all from really good backgrounds and putting on rough accents. As they mature I'm sure they'll rail it in with that, because it'll get embarrassing to keep up a charade, and to me the writing is good enough and music catchy enough that I don't mind.

Their new vinyl just arrived three days before release so I'm delighted about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

s1ippy wrote: »
    I'm all about the Post-Punk.

Oh, me too, but I prefer mine with melody, harmonies, that kind of thing. I kind of like Boys in the Better Land, it's got something, but it's not what you'd call a great choon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,275 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much was raised on the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭adaminho

How much was raised on the night?

The last I heard was over 400k although half of that came from U2. I have plenty of friends in the industry and done some crew work so it's more than welcome. It was nice to see Gavin James mention the cancellation of the drive in gigs as well as for many that was the only income they had this year.

Advertisement