Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Here is a better pic of the floor pan bolt and clearance from the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭jmreire

You were right to avoid taking the shortcut of not replacing secondary panel . Its part of the overall strength of the sill section. Anything that the Germans put in, is there for a reason., Going very well now.

Today I had to make a cover plate for the 90 degree turn at the end of the heater tube, upwards towards the screen defroster. This is normally left out on some restorations as the outer cill panel covers it anyway. But the problem is that because the heater tube terminates in an open arrangement, I believe you lose some pressure from the heat going to the windscreen. Ideally the turn in direction wants be as close a fit as possible to maintain a good flow to the windscreen.

The type 3 vw's have a far superior windscreen defrost ability than the normal beetle. You wont ever be complaining about type 3 heat ability unless your system is in poor order.

Here you can see the heater flap in the vertical position that allows heat to the floor footwell, as well as opening the pathway to the windscreen defrost.

Here you can see the flap fully open to the floor footwell, and closed to the pathway up the door post trunking to the screen.

Check at least twice, or pay the price !!!😶

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Old sayings are worth listening to.

Same as yours. "measure twice cut once".

• Advertisement

Toooooo true. I always choose the softly softly approach now. I have all the time in the world, and doing a task once slowly and carefully is time well spent.😉

You are right about the Variant having better screen heating than the beetle. That section you are at now is tricky enough though. You probably don't need it but Good Luck with it anyway !!! . 😊.

I am pretty sure its needed for a couple of reasons. First one being that it seals the heater duct going into the upper duct of the windscreen defroster. If it wasn't there, then any blowby out out the heater duct could by pass out of the end of the tube, and back down along the inside of the outer cill panel. So I would prefer all the heater force only having the option of the foot well or the doorpost defrost duct, and no where else.

Its a small panel, so it wont be that difficult. And I am waiting on advice on the correct half mask to use when welding galvanized due to the toxicity of the fumes. But I am into the second day now, and no word back. I am sometimes amazed when you get connected to a tech guy or gal online with a simple question, and they have to go off and ask someone else..........and get back to you by e mail, maybe.

I am a bit too long in the tooth to be fekking about with toxic galvanize fumes. Although there are loads of guys out there welding it with no mask.So if ye know, let me know, thanks.

Post edited by kadman on

Now that I have the end heater socket fabbed enough for final trimming before I weld. I will prpe all the parts for seam welding, or spot welding with holes where they need to be. I am still waiting for a call back from some safety chaps about the best mask for galvanised metal fumes, but nothing yet. So maybe no welding today until i get that.

I also will apply some rust protector to any existing metal that I have access to before I start welding. And in the rust areas I cant get access to I will apply Convert Ox convertor to protect against ongoing rust. It converts any rust to a polymer based coating that prevents further rust.Werk34 in Germany is one of the only companies that supply any parts for type 3 vw's like this one.....when they get their hands on NOS. Expensive, but they dont make parts any more except for one or two. The cills thankfully

So I drilled and prepped the parts for installation. I secured in the rubber seal below the channel, and placed that in temporarily to put pressure on the seal until it cures in 48 hours. I used Tek 7 for that.

Then i copper greased the floor pan bolts and plates to facilitate the removal of the body, if thats ever required in the future....but not by me😁. Then i marked and drilled the outer inside cill panel for plug welds that will secure it to the inner heater channel.

Thats me done for today. Next Monday its getting the correct mask, and welding in this channel. After that its move on down the drivers side to the rear bumper mounts, and replacing any rusty metal on the way there. Progress might pick up a bit now, as the panels are less trickier,.....I hope.

Here you can see the bolts copper greased to preserve them. Once all the plug welding is done ,, I will be able to deal with the preservation of the inside of the heater channel.

Problem with the rotation again, but I cant seem to fix it.😁

• Advertisement

The problem with rotation of the pictures is a problem of this site I think. It happens in many threads.

Any pictures I see sideways that I want to see better I download and rotate myself.

In the absence of a specific welding mask, I'd use a spraying ask, one with cartridge type filter, and a fan pushing the fumes away from my face. You will be using a MIG welder? Clean off the edges where it will be welded with a grinder? Less galvanize fumes that way.

Yeah, that's nice. Also there's a weldable anti rust primer that you can use when spot welding, have you used it before?

Pictures on this site sometimes randomly get posted sideways.

The pictures that are rotated wrongly only happens when I post them here, for some pictures that I rotate the camera for. When i load them to my pc...perfect. When I select them from my pc to post here, they rotate.

Agh...to hell with it, I have enough dealing with rust, so you have to lay down on the floor to view them. Quit belly aching😂🤣🤣

Oh, I thought you meant part of the sill panel......laying down is not a problem, but getting back up is !!! I just turn the laptop sideways.....😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you take a screenshot of the pics on your phone and post that, it'll post the right way up. You can crop the black bands out of the screenshot before you save it, if you need to.

I managed to weld in the inner heat channel section, as well as the heater duct and location tabs for the duct as well

Door post B fixing point after welding in , just needs to be ground down. Spatter was not too bad considering it was galvanised metal. And the x on the tube shows the location of the tab to be welded in to hold the tube in position.

The tube end that goes into the door post A shows a better view of the tab indent so that it does not build up to too many thicknesses over all.

Here are the spot welds towards the rear of the car heater channel end. On inspection inside the car they appear to have good penetration into the inner metal panel.

Here is the inner panel behind the drivers seat on the floor. You can see the heater duct tube, and above the box formed heater channel you can see the top section of the old heater channel that will be welded to the top of the new one.

Here you can see the 3 tabs spotted onto the top of the heater duct tube and welded into the indents on the inner channel section, to minimize the build up of thicknesses.

And here you can see the plug welds at the rear end of the heater channel which will also be welded on the top face of the top of the box section behind the drivers seat.

Plan tomorrow is to finish welding in the inner channel section, plug weld on the inner/out cill section as well as the 90 degree piece, and then finally the outer cill.But I suspect that the gas will run out before then.

• Advertisement

They're all a nice snug fit. Did you manage to locate a welding mask?

I did indeed. I finally got a tip from a bus restorer who told me what he uses. I checked out his advice along with a few other tips, and I actually got the correct specced mask from screwfix. So it was in and collect one, and on with the welding.

I maged to get the secondary external cill welded in , until I finally ran out of gas when I was welding in the outer cill. So I will have to go for a bottle of gas tomorrow, and finish of the cill welding. I also fabbed an endcap to the cill at the A post, and I need to finish of the rear end of the outer cill section under the rear wing.

Here we have the secondary cill that covers the heater tube, plug welded in and given a coat of weld primer so that the external cill can be welded onto it.

Here is the external cill primed and painted with hammerite oxide internally to protect it, and drilled for the plug welds.

And here is the outer cill partially welded in before i ran out of gas.

And here is the partially fabbed endpiece that runs down to a taper at the end of the heater channel section, and is covered by the rear wing. Thats it until I gas up again and finish what I have so far.

That's a fine job now. And the MIG welds will be fine after a rub of the grinder. For your info, back in the day when I was in the business, we had a very nice hand held spot welder for that truly original look, especially when the bonnet was lifted, and the first place prospective buyers would look was where the top of the wing was welded to the valance. And I'm pretty sure now there are far more advanced spot welders on the market. I'm not criticizing the MIG welds ( God, knows I've done enough of them myself!!! ) and for sure, they will be more than strong enough.

I love following this project and the updates. Some I understand and a small few I don't.

But the use of copper grease on some bolts you will probably never be the person to unbolt them again shows the attention to detail you have.

Yes it does show attention to detail, and considering the benefits if you did have to open the bolts again, it's relatively simple thing to do. In the Beetle engine, when changing the plugs, a thin smear of copper grease on the plugs when replacing them often saved grief down the road. Most mechanics will have met the plugs in the VW engine ( especially but not limited to VW) that often brought some of the threads from the cylinder head with them on the way out. And then you had a problem that the copper slip would have prevented.

I get you and don't mean to go off topic and pulled threads and you need to do helicoil is something I hate.

Yes, I know, I've done them too, and hope that they will work OK. Otherwise, its an engine out / head off job. All because of a smear of copper slip was not applied. But as you said, off topic.

Thats a fair point. But there isn't any part of the wing thats welded to the valance?

And any welding when the bonnets open is not viewable because there is an adhesive liener on the bodywork, together with a loose original liner. I am all for constructive criticism thats why I post up here, for exactly that.

I would love a spot welder for cill and accessible panel work, but god they are expensive and it doesn't warrant the expense for my own cars. And i could never manage to come across a decent second hand one as they dont come up often. And the amount of accessible places so far in the ares I have been working on so far would be few for a spot welder.

But I would love to see a few pics of the type you have used. Maybe I am searching for the wrong item.

Prospective buyers and cars for sale..................you must be joking, no money would pay for this car, there is too much gone into it, and I like it to much to sell it, I want to drive it.

Advice and criticism is more than welcome, Thats what we are here for, a learning process.

• Advertisement

Its vw related so not off my topic😁 Not too bad if you get the good quality helicoils as there is some crap going around out there. I remember putting case savers into an engine I rebuilt a few years ago, that were impressive quality.

They were so tough I used them to repair the threads in an iveco brake caliper, and I put tremendous pressure on them going in.

hey JM have you still got any of the special vw tools that were used on their repairs for mechanical repairs like the suspension re alignment tool. Rare as hens teeth now

Advertisement