Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Prodigy (animated children's series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes rhe Defiant us probably the most realistic of any of the Star Trek ships. It had some windows just not on the bridge or in Engineering but come to think of it I do not think any Star Trek ship had Windows in engineering ever. Makes sense. Even ships today on the sea do not have windows on that part of the ship as its underwater anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Giacchino's music was one of the bright points of the reboot series, with some standout themes that IMO were up there with the best of the franchise. This theme is a little generic but still decent all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

So it confirms Janeway.I. and Unicron? Did anyone else hear the Imperial March for about 6 notes at around 15 seconds?

Ms

Ye not really mad about that at. It sounds off. The first 22 seconds are OK but then it just goes off untill then end where there is a small nice little bit but even that gets messed with. Maybe over time I will get used to it but it's no Voyager or TNG.

One thing it does show is that ship is definitely a small ship. It looks Nova sized or even smaller maybe even Runabout sized.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

It's definitely bigger than a runabout but how big is really difficult to tell. The "windows" on the saucer part are very far apart vertically so either there's a huge void between the decks, it has tiny windows, or they person who designed it didn't know the whiteish rectangles on the hulls all the other Federation ships were supposed to be windows and just threw them on so it looks Star Trek-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like the music, more 'Trek' like than.......I Have faith...

So looking at the intro, the ship has some sort of experimental third engine. Some new Warp Drive that malfunctioned at flung the ship to the Delta Quadrant?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume that's the experimental drive denoting the NX ... and yeah equally, as you say, the reason why it's in this part of the galaxy at all?

NX doesn't necessarily mean experimental propulsion, it usually just means prototype/class leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Rawr

Watched it as well, and I'm not that mad about it myself. It feels a bit draw out, and they're throwing the ship all over the place with it dodging and swinging around *a lot*. Got kind of distracting at one point.

The theme is OK, but this whole arrangement and sequence feels a lot like the Discovery intro, which I'm not a fan of. Much like the Discovery Intro, I'm also not a fan of how they sort of shoe-horn the Trek theme into the end. They managed a better job of it in the Picard intro, but most other Trek shows never bothered with this and tried to have their own identity in the intro theme. I think Lower Decks even kept it to their own theme. Still could be a good show...but I sense the shadow of Kurtzman here...

Post edited by Rawr on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The opening bars of the LD theme are definitely Old Scientist.

How long are each episodes meant to be? If it's 30 odd minutes long including adverts then that 90 second title sequence is overkill.

Back in the Russel T Davies helmed days of Doctor Who he had two spin offs on the go. Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. TW aimed at "older" audience while SJA aimed at younger CBBC viewers. Let me tell you older certainly didn't mean more mature in this case. While TW was making all sorts of innuendo gags and gore for the sake of it, the SJA tackled issues such as Dementia in the elderly, impact of broken families on the kids, watching your best friend die and the consequences of a role reverse. I was late 20s early 30s at the time and I was impressed with SJA.

Point I'm making here is don't dismiss it as harmless nonsense. Some of the best dramas out there were aimed at younger audiences. (Airbender series, Clone Wars, The Sarah Jane Adventures)

I would also say that Season Three, Children of the Earth was a great season TW

Probably because Russell T Davies took over the full 5 episode arc rather than leave Chris Chibnall to show run like with the first two seasons of Torchwood.

Anyway, main point is, just because it's aimed at kids doesn't mean there won't be something for older to enjoy.

Very true. Didnt Star Wars Clone Wars end up that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah Clone Wars started out aimed at younger but then as they went along the story became more serialised and darker.

An example I think I mentioned before is Reboot. The difference between the early seasons and the last couple seasons can be partially summed up in one word: Monoboob. In the first couple seasons Dot was designed with a single lump on her chest, like a less pointy Lara Croft. But after they discovered the show was more popular with students than kids they made her more detailed, as well as adding more elements aimed at the new target audience, including making it darker, basing episodes off movies and tv series (Fax Modem and Data Nully 😁) and adding an older AndrAIa

Star Trek Day Trailer. It was introduced by Kate Mulgrew on the youtube live stream but seems to be Region locked there.

Guessing there'll be an official unlocked one on youtube soon. At the moment, the Twitter version isn't locked:

Ms

Well all I will say is it already looks more like Star Trek than both Discovery and Picard. Yes it looks like it's aimed at children as we all knew bit proper phasers Ye:) and a nice bridge on the ship too. It looks like a though ship.

I am looking forward to seeing what engineering looks like on this ship and the sick bay too. Will they pick more crew up as they go along or will it just be them charathers? Does the ship have a shuttle bay and shuttles? So many questions I can not wait to find out the answers too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's not as light hearted as it seemed from other teasers, I'll give it a watch if it's not inconvenient to find.

Forgot to add earlier that during the live stream, they mentioned it's aimed at a young audience

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,091 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Advertisement

"Captain"? So we will be linking up with post Voyager Alpha quadrant then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,091 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ms

Sounds like they will suit him perfectly. I wonder what his ship will be like what class of ship?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I see this is due out Thursday. Hopefully it is decent.

I also see that the first episode is an hour long nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I wish it well, but it is way more kid friendly than my palette could ever enjoy.

It's totally kid targetted.. they've messaged this over and over.

I'mmmmmmm... still probably gonna watch it 😁

I'm not going to the effort of bootlegging it but I'll keep an eye out for it when someone shows it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oddly I would consider waiting and maybe hearing of its eventual airing over here to be more effort than just watching it this week. 😀

I'll watch and see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'd be inclined to watch it if readily available on my streaming services. But I'd doubt i'd even sail the high seas to satisfy my curiosity. I was a lot more interested before the intro sequence was launched, and the Kurtzman stink from that kind of put me off. I'm being unfair to a show I haven't seen yet, which isn't even marketed to me, but it is intertesting how that one detail managed to dampen my enthusiasm.

I do hope for the best....unless my tingling "Kurtzman-sense" is accurate. In which case I won't make my "hope for the best" mistake again.

• Advertisement

I'll watch it. It's Star Trek.

I'm a bit of a Trek junkie.

Advertisement