Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to my first weddings this year. Any advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I often use tie clips at weddings. It'll keep the tie hanging right and help keep it out of your food.

Skinny-Tie-Clip.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you know more than the bride or groom at a wedding they are usually great craic.

Handy Hints
    1 keep an eye on the pace of the booze early doors , the food can often arrive later than you expect and 8 pints on an empty stomach will take down the best of men (and women),Everybody remembers the first guy to get stotious so don't let that be you .
    2 Get up and dance , even if you don't dance get up and dance , you will have fun and its a break from hard core boozing.
    3 Wear comfy shoes , Will be a lot of standing around and you will be dancing in these shoes so comfort over style
    4 Bring a change of clothes and at least bring a spare dress shirt. Things happen from rain during photos to kids running into you with mucky hands to drunk uncles spilling a pint of Arthur's finest across your shirt
    5 Be positive , lots of annoying stuff at weddings but what you think is a discreet moan gets back to people and they can get really upset , So if your soup is cold , it will keep till a day after the wedding to make funny jokes about how bad it was .
    6 Pack some paracetamol .
    7 go easy on the photos , especially in the church , the couple will share some professional pics soon after ,your camera work leaning out of an aisle is not required nor appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Augeo wrote: »
    Cash for gifts, the folk getting married don't want presents.

If you don't have a pair of proper shoes having multiple weddings looming is a great reason to buy a pair. They'll complement a decent suit and make a poor suit look better.

I got a pair of shoes with the suit so that should be fine. How good a set were you talking about though?

Cash would be idea IMO. Less to carry over with me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I got a pair of shoes with the suit so that should be fine. How good a set were you talking about though?

The beauty of good shoes is that they are usually reduced somewhere....... I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and I've a pair RRP €430, I like shoes though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If you know more than the bride or groom at a wedding they are usually great craic.

Handy Hints
    1 keep an eye on the pace of the booze early doors , the food can often arrive later than you expect and 8 pints on an empty stomach will take down the best of men (and women),Everybody remembers the first guy to get stotious so don't let that be you .
    2 Get up and dance , even if you don't dance get up and dance , you will have fun and its a break from hard core boozing.
    3 Wear comfy shoes , Will be a lot of standing around and you will be dancing in these shoes so comfort over style
    4 Bring a change of clothes and at least bring a spare dress shirt. Things happen from rain during photos to kids running into you with mucky hands to drunk uncles spilling a pint of Arthur's finest across your shirt
    5 Be positive , lots of annoying stuff at weddings but what you think is a discreet moan gets back to people and they can get really upset , So if your soup is cold , it will keep till a day after the wedding to make funny jokes about how bad it was .
    7 go easy on the photos , especially in the church , the couple will share some professional pics soon after ,your camera work leaning out of an aisle is not required nor appreciated

All good advice there. I would just add get a coffee and a sandwich or something to eat after the church service, before arriving at hotel. (Assuming wedding is following usual formula)
    With a 1:00 service it could still be 7:00 before dinner is served. Breakfast to 7:00 is a long fast especially if pints are involved.
    I usually just find a service station for something quick, then a few relaxing afternoon pints. What's not to enjoy..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The beauty of good shoes is that they are usually reduced somewhere....... I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and I've a pair RRP €430, I like shoes though :pac:

That's insane but I feel less bad about the ones I bought now so thanks!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Weddings are the place for folk to be polite and pleasant, relax and enjoy the day. I've gone to some I was not looking forward to but all were grand.
    Definitely good fun to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Cash is king.
    No matter how much thought you put into a gift and think its absolutely perfect for them, ultimately every couple just wants the money!

To thine own self be true

Weddings are the place for folk to be polite and pleasant, relax and enjoy the day. I've gone to some I was not looking forward to but all were grand.
    Definitely good fun to be had.

Not overly relishing the thought of being in a noisy room full of drunken strangers. I'm that sort. Sure it'll be grand, just the hassle of actually getting there and organising stuff on my end.
    Cash is king.
    No matter how much thought you put into a gift and think its absolutely perfect for them, ultimately every couple just wants the money!

Seriously? That's just amazing if so as I can just pop by an ATM and buy a few cards.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Money is always fine, but if you can get a present that will create a memory do that as well, when my best mate got married, I got them front row tickets to the band that they had their first dance to, another friend got them a personalised bottle of whisky. If you know the couple well enough to help them create a memory, do it........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

If possible give a cheque rather than a cash. If it gets separated from the accompanying congratulations card, then the couple won’t know who gave it to them - and makes it awkward when they are issuing thank you cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The smaller, more intimate weddings are worth it. Better food & atmosphere. These new, traveller style weddings with over 300 people, canteen food, envelopes of cash & nasty cheap Pinot Grigio wine are to be avoided.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

If possible give a cheque rather than a cash. If it gets separated from the accompanying congratulations card, then the couple won’t know who gave it to them - and makes it awkward when they are issuing thank you cards.

I was about to say the same.

Apparently it has been known for cash gifts to go missing, at weddings. So it's a good idea to make sure that cannot happen. There's often a designated person (friend or family member) to give cards and gifts to - not to hand them directly to the couple. Or, if you can, give them the card beforehand, or afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I think if possible give the cash to the couple the week before. They will be delighted because they can use the cash to pay for one of the things that they have to pay for in cash before the day. It also means you can be 100% sure that it doesn’t go missing on the day.

Not overly relishing the thought of being in a noisy room full of drunken strangers. I'm that sort. Sure it'll be grand, just the hassle of actually getting there and organising stuff on my end.............

I'd be 100% the same and felt the same before weddings of college friends etc etc who I'd be good pals with. Always turns out to be a grand day.

Handy Hints

Thank you for this. I've only the one suit so I think I'm just going to have to be vigilant. I do not drink which will help hopefully.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement