Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighing Scales

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Well it works anyway, weighed the in calf heifers this evening with it and no problems. Heavy hoor of a thing though weighing in at 78kg.

Did you cut the weigh beams into halves? Mabye its just my sight but they look very short compared to the ones in the ebay link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Did you cut the weigh beams into halves? Mabye its just my sight but they look very short compared to the ones in the ebay link.

I didn't use the beams at all, I took the weight cells off them and put them on the frame I made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Heavy hoor of a thing though weighing in at 78kg.

I was thinking that alright when i seen you build pics. Could you add 2 castors to the sides for moving it. You would have to flip it over 180 degrees though to wheel it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I didn't use the beams at all, I took the weight cells off them and put them on the frame I made up.

Oh I see, I didn't realise they could be seperated. Very nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thats a great job. Project for the winter for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

LC - is your platform separate to the frame? From looking at it would some lips at the side keep the beast from sliding off the side? - a bit like this (£985 inc VAT!!!):

55f24c1fc997d36c059b070651c63c92?AccessKeyId=43C6C660275C2700295F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Do they stand okay on the threadplate or would some corrugations help prevent slipping after a few animals have been up and dirtied it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

LC - is your platform separate to the frame? From looking at it would some lips at the side keep the beast from sliding off the side? - a bit like this (£985 inc VAT!!!):

55f24c1fc997d36c059b070651c63c92?AccessKeyId=43C6C660275C2700295F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Do they stand okay on the threadplate or would some corrugations help prevent slipping after a few animals have been up and dirtied it?

Ours is similar and no issue with slip
    It’s no harm to rinse down after each use

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi Limestone,
    Can I ask how did you attach the weight cells to the new frame you made?
    It looks a great job from your pic.
    What have you on top? I mean what are cattle standing on?
    Hope to do something similar here for under 400 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Intend following LC too and buying online. The guy who does my welding and will make the stand mentioned the need to have wings to keep the cattle legs on, not slipping down the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Water John wrote: »
    Intend following LC too and buying online. The guy who does my welding and will make the stand mentioned the need to have wings to keep the cattle legs on, not slipping down the side.

Every blooming one of them will put a back leg on the wing and throw the weight off. You get the leg off the wing and they put it straight back up again.. Go flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

One like that in image above shouldn't have that problem and will avoid the hooves slipping off the side too. All it needs is a small lip to stop the sliding off when they are wrestling on it.

I wonder would a darker colour be better than the bright chequer plate - might be less spooked by a dark colour - and a small step onto it.

My main concern is the robustness of these scales with a dynamic load as them are design for static loads.

I think the edge plate he intends is a narrow edge sloping in.

Every blooming one of them will put a back leg on the wing and throw the weight off. You get the leg off the wing and they put it straight back up again.. Go flat

I think the edge plate he intends is a narrow edge sloping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

One like that in image above shouldn't have that problem and will avoid the hooves slipping off the side too. All it needs is a small lip to stop the sliding off when they are wrestling on it.

I wonder would a darker colour be better than the bright chequer plate - might be less spooked by a dark colour - and a small step onto it.

My main concern is the robustness of these scales with a dynamic load as them are design for static loads.

putting straw on the platform definitely helps with getting them onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭emaherx

There is a stable weight indicator on the scales I got, it comes on when the animal settles down. But even if the odd one dosen't fully settle down you might get the weight only varying by a few kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

putting straw on the platform definitely helps with getting them onto it.

Or a spare slat mat, if any to hand. Only adds a few Kg to the weight. Beware of the scale (eventually) leaning down a bit into the electronic data cable. Mine was doing this for a while before I copped it. Had to prop the legs higher with a couple of 2x4s.

Thanks for the help here lads. Bought online and local made up the platform to fit in my crush. The platform rides on the beams, €450/500 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭emaherx

Thanks for the help here lads. Bought online and local made up the platform to fit in my crush. The platform rides on the beams, €450/500 all in.

Its a small investment really and the scheme has paid for it already. The fact that you can weigh in small groups as you like is priceless especially if your land is disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Any pics of platform?

Sorry must try loading pics again. Failed anytime I've tried before. Didn't have it in for TAMS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement