Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighing Scales

Options
  • 20-07-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Any recommendations for a weighing scales just to keep track of weight gain etc.

One that fits a crush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No recommendation but frs will let you rent out weigh scalesfor 50 quid or thereabouts I think if it's something you'll only do once or twice in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Buying a weighing scale was a very worthwhile purchase last year. I didn't realise how much I was under dosing. Having all the exact numbers for doing pour-on/drenches and being able to tell the vet the cow is 780kgs has helped a lot. I'll find the name of the weight scales I use this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

Make sure you get one with well insulated thick cables to help protect it from water and slurry. I have pencil thin cables on my scales and it is constantly absorbing water through tiny cracks or nicks in the outer coating which leaves it useless and I have to get the complete weigh cell replaced each time because its a "Sealed" unit. Not cheap.:mad:You only find out its broken when you want to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I have an ONeills one since the ploughing in was in New Ross. 2012 or 2013

No issues in fairness with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How do you know if the weighing cell is gone?
    Ours was working perfect, moved it to friends yard and now display is showing 0kg no matter what’s put on the platform.
    Have got cable and display checked out & both ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Have a connaught agri one. Fits in the crush. Good job

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How do you know if the weighing cell is gone?
    Ours was working perfect, moved it to friends yard and now display is showing 0kg no matter what’s put on the platform.
    Have got cable and display checked out & both ok

Wonder if you switch it off. Disconnect a cell, switch it back on what does it show ??
    I’d try each one to see if the result is different for any ??

The other thing I’d wonder is the reading locked somehow ??

_Brian wrote: »
    Wonder if you switch it off. Disconnect a cell, switch it back on what does it show ??
    I’d try each one to see if the result is different for any ??

The other thing I’d wonder is the reading locked somehow ??
    Might try that
    It’s all connected to a motherboard (4 in & 1 out)
    Can you get a connector to bypass the motherboard and join the wires together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Dunedin

How much is a scales roughly.

Dunedin wrote: »
    How much is a scales roughly.

About €1400 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Gudstock

jntsnk wrote: »
    DIY

Any more info on this project??

Might try that
    It’s all connected to a motherboard (4 in & 1 out)
    Can you get a connector to bypass the motherboard and join the wires together?

Got it fixed
    Bypassed motherboard

We got a Tru test scales, mighty job has Bluetooth to link to the phone so can pull all weights in as you go and then link to the online account which you can pull all your herd info in from Agfood and link the weights.

Gudstock wrote: »
    Any more info on this project??

Just bought the weigh beams . Made by own floor to fit my crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Where d'you get 'em?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭emaherx

I got some from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Warehouse-Weighing-Digital-Livestock/dp/B00OZUFO52/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=weigh+beams&qid=1597666387&sr=8-1

I haven't used them yet, to recommend them or not, but im going to use them under a portable crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Can those be registered for BEEP weighing do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭emaherx

Can those be registered for BEEP weighing do you know?

I’ve registered mine, so yes, but it may need to be inspected at some stage.

MfMan wrote: »
    Where d'you get 'em?

Got them on eBay. Been using them weighing stores and factory cattle prior to slaughter for the last 2 years. No issue. Often weigh silage bales also with a pallet on the beams. Handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What did you make the platform for it out of? Any pics.

What did you make the platform for it out of? Any pics.

Heavy timber lying around. Scaffolding planks and sorts. Strong timber needed. Picture in previous posts

Bought a set of those pallet scales off ebay for 300e, got a length of channel and a length of angle iron and moved all the bits over. Just have to put on a bit of cheequered plate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Gudstock

Bought a set of those pallet scales off ebay for 300e, got a length of channel and a length of angle iron and moved all the bits over. Just have to put on a bit of cheequered plate now.

Great project! Really looking forward to see the finished product.
    Will it be left in place or will it be moved?
    Could you put up a link for the ebay item please?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Looks like a fine strong job! Heavy I’d say

Gudstock wrote: »
    Great project! Really looking forward to see the finished product.
    Will it be left in place or will it be moved?
    Could you put up a link for the ebay item please?

I have a few crushes and the are all outside so it will be moved around and I'll keep it inside when I'm not using it, had to make it a bit narrower to fit in the old crush at home. Going to weight the calves next week and might take the bits off and get it galvanised then if it works alright.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Looks like a fine strong job! Heavy I’d say

It would want it all I'd say, used 3" channel and there's still a small bit of flex when I was jumping up and down in the middle of it.

Well it works anyway, weighed the in calf heifers this evening with it and no problems. Heavy hoor of a thing though weighing in at 78kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good job. Any need to put handles inside the pads if you want to move it around?
    Two people carrying 40 kilos each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We bought similar off Amazon and made a checker plate platform for the weigh cells.
    All in I think it stands €350

Had it out yesterday doing a weigh run and it works a dream. Even weighed the pony.

Advertisement