Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor to engage with eflow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

joeysoap wrote: »
    I want to get a solicitor(I don’t mind paying for one)

:):)

Made me laugh anyway

I grew up on legal aid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could you ask your friends to pay the tolls they owe?
    mikemac2 wrote: »
    As well as sorting out this case have a think about ditching these friends. Even if the address was correct and you received letters swiftly were they expecting you to pay up every time ?
    micar wrote: »

Also, stop letting people borrow your car cos you'll may end up going through all this again.

There are no "friends"
    T

It probably sounds suspicious because that’s the story I am putting forward to them to avoid paying the ridiculous fine or going to court and attempting to distance myself from any liability.

Truth is I haven’t bothered paying for the toll for a long time (I did actually pay it here and there if I actually stopped in a garage or something).

The 69 trips do sound bad but that’s each way, so it’s only 30 trips over 2-3 years to Dublin, so once a month I missed a 6euro payment that they now managed to add up to 9,000 euros

I know I should have been paying the toll and should have registered for a tag or something but just wasn’t anywhere near my priority’s so got ignored and abandoned altogether,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Obviously not, but you know yourself what sells or gets views its not the happy stuff

Y’know....

My horse would generally be on the low to middling side, but you’re really bringing out the ‘hope the court throws the book, bookshelf and library at him’ side of me.

I’d adjust the attitude. Not legal advice. Just advice.

KildareP wrote: »
    That's probably not going to wash with eFlow (or the courts) to be honest.

Technically, you owe them:
    - €3.10 for each journey
    - another €3.00 for each journey not paid by 8PM the following day
    - another €42.00 for each journey not paid within 14 days
    - another €105.00 for each journey not paid within 56 days

Assuming all 69 journeys lie outside the 56 day timeframe, you owe €153.10 per journey or €10,569.90 in total before any legal costs are added in:
    https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/penalties/ive-missed-the-payment-de-1/

As Schorpio mentions, your story just doesn't sound in any way believable and might well be received as an insult. How lucky do you feel getting out of €2.5k on a technicality versus being hit with the full extent of all fines plus costs?

Im testing the water, if i can pay less it would be great. I've no intentions of going to court unless its 90% will be throw out on a technicality which i doubt it will, best case judge agrees on 2k im still stuck with a big legal bill and will probably be paying out close to 3-4k in the end

Im testing the water, if i can pay less it would be great. I've no intentions of going to court unless its 90% will be throw out on a technicality which i doubt it will, best case judge agrees on 2k im still stuck with a big legal bill and will probably be paying out close to 3-4k in the end
    The court won’t negotiate a figure. It’ll just rule as to whether you owe it or not.
    And you do owe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I hope the eFlow barrister reads out this thread in court when the OP tries to claim it was other people driving his car each time.

I hope the eFlow barrister reads out this thread in court when the OP tries to claim it was other people driving his car each time.

I would pay to see that myself to be honest :)

endacl wrote: »
    Y’know....

My horse would generally be on the low to middling side, but you’re really bringing out the ‘hope the court throws the book, bookshelf and library at him’ side of me.

I’d adjust the attitude. Not legal advice. Just advice.

Im actually curious which part of this thread brought the book throwing part out in you?

Im actually curious which part of this thread brought the book throwing part out in you?

Probably the lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that those people who ignore toll charges also think that the well known penalties are unfair and excessive. Because of course they do.

I do hope that the OP finds a good solicitor, though I suspect when the time comes that he may decide that their bill is unfair as well.

• Advertisement

Probably the lies.

Sure how else are you ever gonna get out of stuff like this, no point going to court to say you did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What will you do if they produce photographic evidence of your car going through and the person driving the car looks 99.89% exactly like you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

This comment is meant to be inflammatory - but you did know you didnt pay the many tolls although you didnt get the letter? And your "friends" who borrowed the car knew they hadnt paid?

Its not like its a 2 or 3 tolls

I think if you get out of it for 1500 you will be doing well

Sure how else are you ever gonna get out of stuff like this, no point going to court to say you did it?

Would love to see you try it and get done for perjury.

What will you do if they produce photographic evidence of your car going through and the person driving the car looks 99.89% exactly like you?

Ill shave the beard :P

JJJackal wrote: »
    This comment is meant to be inflammatory - but you did know you didnt pay the many tolls although you didnt get the letter? And your "friends" who borrowed the car knew they hadnt paid?

Its not like its a 2 or 3 tolls

I think if you get out of it for 1500 you will be doing well

He admitted he was lying about friends borrowing the car. He made the journeys, he knew he wasn’t paying for the trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

He admitted he was lying about friends borrowing the car. He made the journeys, he knew he wasn’t paying for the trips.

Missed that part! I didnt read the middle of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Did you not notice that you werent.paying your tolls?
    Big signs up everywhere on the m50....
    Didnt you ever wonder!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are quite likely to be looking at a legal bill equal to or higher than any discount you get; or indeed the entire discounted amount they have offered to you even if it was thrown out.

I dont think ill get much more from this thread other than entertainment

I would like to thank those who posted practical and constructive advice without passing too much judgement, you helped me make my decision

Sounds like ill have to couch up the 2.5k or close enough to it, sure its only money can always make more
    Definitely not going to court unless im advised by a solicitor

To everyone else it was a pleasure getting you all hot and heavy :)

• Advertisement

I would pay to see that myself to be honest :)

I just forwarded a copy of the thread To judge Halpin, so you might be in luck yet.

L1011 wrote: »
    You are quite likely to be looking at a legal bill equal to or higher than any discount you get; or indeed the entire discounted amount they have offered to you even if it was thrown out.

Yeah i dont think court is a good option in this case unless solicitor is certain it will gey thrown out on a technicality

I just forwarded a copy of the thread To judge Halpin, so you might be in luck yet.

I hope he gets a kick out of it!

I must put a Google notification on 'eflow' and '69 unpaid tolls' in the news section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Even if they had offered 2.5k as a pre-trial settlement,are Eflow within their rights to press for the full 9 grand in court?

The bit where you posted. And the other bit where you posted. And your posts.

:D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I am personally utterly outraged by this 69 unpaid tolls but sure not everyone would think to do my OCD the favour of at least making it an even 70.

For those posting from their high horses; people do things that aren't strictly legal all the time and they're not bad people because of it. Sure I've even driven a car with no tax paid for a few weeks shockingly enough. I also crossed the road within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing but not at the crossing once or twice. Please forgive me.

It's not the crime of the century but obviously, not paying tolls is a gamble and one that's likely to see the OP having to pay the equivalent of 806.45 trips instead of 69. But it's his money so hey ho.

This forum is not the one for high horse morals. We all do stupid things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah i dont think court is a good option in this case unless solicitor is certain it will gey thrown out on a technicality

You're still going to have to pay them if they do; and it'll be a lot closer to 2k than you seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The stink of moralising on boards from some posters is almost unbearable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure anybody could accidentally evade a fare 69 times, this could be any one of us really.

Advertisement