Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Hoggetts-Store Lamb Prices etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

kk.man wrote: »
    I'm not in that game but I recon 10e dearer than their male counterparts.

I'd say €10-15 a head dearer than the equivalent ram lamb, this would be for run of the mill store lambs and any nice ewe lambs would be dearer again. Considering that store lambs are at least a tenner a piece dearer than last year and oftentimes nearer to €20 it's not easy to buy much atm. It depends on what your buying tbh but there's horned ram lambs no bigger than a good cat making €50 a head. Therefore I'd imagine you'd do well to buy any sort of a middling ewe lamb less than €70. Once you go into nice head's or more power ect then it's nearer a €100 and from there the sky is the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Some fellas are going to get burnt badly next year who have bought dear Ewe Lambs if there is any kind of a decrease in the overall price of sheep.

It’s an uncertain time in farming with Brexit negotiations,CAP changes and Coronavirus on the agenda.

Have seen a lot of brocket (speckled face) ewe lambs around 30 to 35 kg making anything from 100 to 140 euro in last month.....absolutely crazy money for the strength of the lambs they are.

Good Hoggetts with similar face markings are making around 160 to 180 euro this year.....I know which I would feel is a better investment.
    Anecdotal evidence is that a lot of Midland farmers are coming West to buy Store lambs this year....men who never bought store lambs as they are unsure how Cattle trade will go next Spring and are afraid to fill sheds with cattle this Winter.

This is probably helping put a very strong floor under Store lamb trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Some fellas are going to get burnt badly next year who have bought dear Ewe Lambs if there is any kind of a decrease in the overall price of sheep.

It’s an uncertain time in farming with Brexit negotiations,CAP changes and Coronavirus on the agenda.

Have seen a lot of brocket (speckled face) ewe lambs around 30 to 35 kg making anything from 100 to 140 euro in last month.....absolutely crazy money for the strength of the lambs they are.

Good Hoggetts with similar face markings are making around 160 to 180 euro this year.....I know which I would feel is a better investment.
    Anecdotal evidence is that a lot of Midland farmers are coming West to buy Store lambs this year....men who never bought store lambs as they are unsure how Cattle trade will go next Spring and are afraid to fill sheds with cattle this Winter.

This is probably helping put a very strong floor under Store lamb trade.

Replacement ewe lambs price takes the good out of the great hogget price. Another side of the coin is that lamb at 5.40+ this week in the factory has been unheard of since many years. If these prices were to remain steady throughout the year sheep might look to be an attractive farm enterprise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

keep an ear out for reports from blessington. I heard mad prices from there today 400 for hoggets 200 for ewe lambs

ganmo wrote: »
    keep an ear out for reports from blessington. I heard mad prices from there today 400 for hoggets 200 for ewe lambs

What?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=525738&stc=1&d=1599603495

To be fair he s some sheep man never off the road and a great judge of a sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭DJ98

How can people justify paying over 200 euro a head for a hogget ewe, its well and good if she rears 2 lambs as she can easily pay for herself but if she's to only have one lamb or worse case scenario no lamb, well then your going to have her around for a few years before she starts making money or end up loosing money on her as she won't bring 200 as a cull and not much point carrying an empty ewe.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Fair sheep some backs on them.

Wonder is that back of grass or meal?!

• Advertisement

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Wonder is that back of grass or meal?!

Probably is meal but they have great bone. Meal won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Tileman

Probably is meal but they have great bone. Meal won't do that.

Was watching tullow today and saw serious prices for Hoggets too. Couple lots made near 240.

Tileman wrote: »
    Was watching tullow today and saw serious prices for Hoggets too. Couple lots made near 240.

Did they?.. Still holding up so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Tileman

Did they?.. Still holding up so.

Yea ewe prices were high in eniscorthy earlier aswell. Online mart. Very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Guys are prepared to pay more for hogget ewes because they are getting more for their lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

i was at cooley sale last Saturday and bought 10 hoggets at 216/ head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BryonManning

DK man wrote: »
    i was at cooley sale last Saturday and bought 10 hoggets at 216/ head.

It's very cheap. I'll go this Saturday, maybe I'll go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Anyone here see sucked hoggets selling ? What's the go of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Looking at some purebred charolais ewes on done deal but with no prce. Any ideas of what these would be making?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Anyone here see sucked hoggets selling ? What's the go of them ?

Yes, some up here in Donegal made between 160 and 180 at a breeding sale in Milford mart last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Looking at some purebred charolais ewes on done deal but with no prce. Any ideas of what these would be making?

Guy here in Donegal was selling ewe lambs for 200 to 250e earlier in the summer.

Have not seen any sold......what kind of trade are good 3 year old and full mouthed ewes suitable for breeding?.......have to try and buy some for a neighbour.....he prefers Suffolk x or Cheviot x ewes.Runs a Suffolk ram with the ewes.

Are they dearer than other years because sheep prices in general are up.

Thanks for any replies from people that have seen ewes selling.

Anyone seen ewes like described above sold lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

A neighbour of mine had hoggets at kilkenny mart yesterday. One pen were Suffolk x cheviot..190
    Also had a pen of Suffolk x texel 192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone seen ewes like described above sold lately?

around €160 for good 3s n 4s in the southeast

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

around €160 for good 3s n 4s in the southeast

Is that not madness, last year €100 would have bought them, €180 would have bought a real smasher of a hogget, this year 180 would only be a middling hogget. What will someone do with a big pushed €220 hogget thats scanned dry. Would they keep her and chance her doing the same next year or kill her at €3/kg if your lucky

A neighbour of mine had hoggets at kilkenny mart yesterday. One pen were Suffolk x cheviot..190
    Also had a pen of Suffolk x texel 192

It's brilliant year for the hogget ppl. My lowest was 180 and best was 220. I averaged 200. Never had it as good but they have been lean years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It's brilliant year for the hogget ppl. My lowest was 180 and best was 220. I averaged 200. Never had it as good but they have been lean years too.

Are you buying back ewe lambs?

Just wondering is the profit margin much more than other years

orm0nd wrote: »
    Are you buying back ewe lambs?

Just wondering is the profit margin much more than other years
    I have bought back but not my full compliment yet. They are dearer but I think I may have been lucky mine averaging 110e so far.
    Profit margin would be seriously eroded if you buy back dear ewe lambs irrespective of price got for the hoggets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I have bought back but not my full compliment yet. They are dearer but I think I may have been lucky mine averaging 110e so far.
    Profit margin would be seriously eroded if you buy back dear ewe lambs irrespective of price got for the hoggets.

I'm a bit of an odd ball where I look at the cost of replacing an animal rather than the profit left over the initial purchase.

Advertisement