Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Hoggetts-Store Lamb Prices etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Jimbo789

Roscommon Mart breeding ewes & hoggets sales are starting Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

kenmare stores arrived nice lambs mostly tight wool suffolk cross, ewes and weathers. all Bantry,Beara and Killarney and Kilgarven. bought 99 on that load.

Average weight 31.5 kg , average price 70.30 euro

Here’s docket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

was in tullow yeasterday, suffolk x hoggets 185-205.there was a clearance sale of 120 Suffolk x ewes after the hoggets 2-3s 220 3-4s 190 and 4-5s 170..generally throughout the whole sale bigger the ewe bigger the price regardless of age,marking or appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Dickie10 wrote: »
    kenmare stores arrived nice lambs mostly tight wool suffolk cross, ewes and weathers. all Bantry,Beara and Killarney and Kilgarven. bought 99 on that load.

Average weight 31.5 kg , average price 70.30 euro

Are they the roaming type? Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

was in tullow yeasterday, suffolk x hoggets 185-205.there was a clearance sale of 120 Suffolk x ewes after the hoggets 2-3s 220 3-4s 190 and 4-5s 170..generally throughout the whole sale bigger the ewe bigger the price regardless of age,marking or appearance

They must have being nice ewes,had they a little bit of white in the face?

I find that the Suffolk cross ewe with two White dots, one each side of her nose make great mothers with good milk etc.
    The reality is as long as Suffolk x ewes aren’t too big and raw looking they kill out very well as culls so likely buyers were taking account of that.

Are they the roaming type? Best of luck

no suffolk cross mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

I find that the Suffolk cross ewe with two White dots, one each side of her nose make great mothers with good milk etc.
    The reality is as long as Suffolk x ewes aren’t too big and raw looking they kill out very well as culls so likely buyers were taking account of that.

They like big hoggets in Tullow alright.

the face marking made no difference yeasterday,i picked out a couple pens of near pure Suffolks to have a go at in the ring but got blown out of the bidding within a few seconds..ill never understand lads paying big money for hogget ewes that are stuffed with meal...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

the face marking made no difference yeasterday,i picked out a couple pens of near pure Suffolks to have a go at in the ring but got blown out of the bidding within a few seconds..ill never understand lads paying big money for hogget ewes that are stuffed with meal...

I've bought good ewes and bad ewes give me good any day.
    What makes ya think they're on meal :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've bought good ewes and bad ewes give me good any day.
    What makes ya think they're on meal :rolleyes:

knowing some of the farms they have come off some could be fed meal twice a day for the past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Agree 100% madness buying fed hoggets now till go and lose condition before going to the ram or if they keep to good off condition guranteed she will scan with a single. I know theres no science behind it but always seems till be the way it happens here anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Lambman wrote: »
    Agree 100% madness buying fed hoggets now till go and lose condition before going to the ram or if they keep to good off condition guranteed she will scan with a single. I know theres no science behind it but always seems till be the way it happens here anyways.

Well - flushing ewes to get a good lamb crop means putting them on a rising nutrition diet before going to the ram isn’t it?
    If you bought meal fed hoggets, and then put them on grass before they go to the ram - it’s kinda the opposite...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was showing some Suffolk x store ewe lambs in Dowra yday,twin lambs around 32 kg....not real showy types...made €85 ....was dead happy....those type lambs def up 7 or 8 euro on last year.
    Weren’t any exceptional ewe lambs in it....prob bit early yet.....saw softish Mayo horned ewe lambs make €115 or €116....very dear I thought,saw a nice pen of sprickled face lambs make €99.
    Good ewe lambs valuable this year....did not wait for them but were some lovely Mountain x hoggetts near end of sale....not overdone,had nice heads,heard after they made €170 and €164.....not mad dear considering price of ewe lambs.
    Oul thin cull ewes were great trade....anything with a heartbeat making €40.

Going through some of my ewe hoggets for the sales and noticed a few dirty rear ends. Any tips on how to make them clean looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Going through some of my ewe hoggets for the sales and noticed a few dirty rear ends. Any tips on how to make them clean looking?

We got very wet weather before our clearance sale that made them very dirty, We used the power washer and sheep suds, it did a lovely job and didn't strip the oil. It takes a bit of time to soften the dung though and do it right and it's hard work, like we had 350 ewes to prepare for the clearance sale

https://www.fanevalleystores.com/categories/sheep/showing/shampoos/products/28614/Showtime-Sheep-Suds-Shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Start of the breeding sales up here last Saturday

Suff Chev hoggets and ewe lambs:
    An excellent entry of 2600 hoggets and ewe lambs at the first of the season's breeding sheep sales at Ballymena Mart met a superb trade with averages up across the board.
    Hoggets saw averages increase by £22 per head to £179.59 for 2048 forward and sold to £232 per head for a pen of Texels presented by JR Currie and to £230 for a pen of Suff/Chev hoggets from P Donnelly.
    Ewe lamb averages rose by £18 per head to £115.73 and sold to £198 for a tremendous pen of Suff/Chev ewe lambs presented by L Anderson.

Leading prices are as follows Hoggets:-
    6 Tex £232, 10 SX £230, 12 SX £225, 11 SX £225, 10 SX £220, 10 SX £210, 10 SX £210, 12 SX £205,
    Leading hogget averages D Gibson 121 ave £198, P Fonnelly 124 ave £196.29, D McFarland 100 ave £193.42, W Blackburn 193 ave £191.87, M Breen 80 ave £190.71).

Ewe Lambs - 12 S/C @ £198, 10 @ £172,12 Tex Mule @ £152, 15 S/C @ £148, 12 S/C @ £144, 12 S/M @ £142,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Bought 45 Suffolk x mule hoggett ewes today

190 each and 70 luck penny on the bunch.

Nice lengthy sheep, not overally tall, good width, and very quite.

An agent put me in touch with the seller and over 7 and half hours driving round trip but worth the effort to get a bundle together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

orm0nd wrote: »
    Bought 45 Suffolk x mule hoggett ewes today

190 each and 70 luck penny on the bunch.

Nice lengthy sheep, not overally tall, good width, and very quite.

An agent put me in touch with the seller and over 7 and half hours driving round trip but worth the effort to get a bundle together.

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

razor8 wrote: »
    Any pictures?

Dropped them on the outfarm.

Can get a few next week. Away with herself for a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

orm0nd wrote: »
    Dropped them on the outfarm.

Can get a few next week. Away with herself for a couple of days.

Enjoy your few days

bought 30 2 year olds on Tuesday,20 llyen x texel and 10 pure llyen vaccinated for enzo and toxo €170..seller was getting out of sheep to go dairying

Have best of my hoggets gone averaging 200e so far. Very happy with the price this year. Ewe lambs to replace them are dear. In fact I think you be better off buying hoggets for replacements they way ewe lambs are priced.

Have best of my hoggets gone averaging 200e so far. Very happy with the price this year. Ewe lambs to replace them are dear. In fact I think you be better off buying hoggets for replacements they way ewe lambs are priced.

How much are ewe lambs making up your part of the country KK?

How much are ewe lambs making up your part of the country KK?

Good lambs average 140e

Good lambs average 140e

That’s heavy lambs, what weight would they be?

How much are nice store ewe lambs making?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Tileman

Jeez that’s some price ok. Most making 170-180 here. You must have serious sheep.

Tileman wrote: »
    Jeez that’s some price ok. Most making 170-180 here. You must have serious sheep.

Mine are big sheep but probability grade 2 in comparison with the show stoppers.

They be 45kgs and lower depending on markings.

• Advertisement

I'm not in that game but I recon 10e dearer than their male counterparts.

Advertisement