Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is there anything farmers can do to stop co-ops passing on the costs if they themselves become less efficient?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭straight

One thing I noticed is that there wasn't much difference between wet ground and dry ground last autumn or this spring. Might learn to live with my wet fields a bit better.

I have to laugh at the lads blowing about getting to 200 cows. Now they have to drop 20 cows the whole thing is plucked. Not much hope for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I could go evening ai but we’ve never done it in 50 years of ai and always got on fine.
    Pre collars we would have served everything jumping but it’s just now I have the information showing me she’s not long started bulling and the fact I had a poor incalf rate to first serve last year it has me questioning my protocol

any way we left off the 3 earth cows to ai tomorrow morning, maybe it was the wrong thing to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jack98

On a normal year we’d have all the dry cattle and heifers out for the start of March full time on the out farms that are free draining limestone ground, this was delayed about a month this year. We were lucky we always have a good reserve of silage built up but that was severely ate into this spring and now building it back up will be the challenge.

I saw on twitter one of our main female farming influencers declaring her farm will be unviable if they go from 220kgN/ha to a no derogation scenario and they’re milking between 180/200 cows I would say, what hope is there for us peasants….talk about sensationalism.

Give them a 24 hr repeat. AI mens heads will be wrecked with all these collars. My own man wasn't too impressed with them this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

My ai technician says it's better to be early than late. The semen will survive at body temperature in the cow for up to 24 hours. Any cow caught in no man's land could always be done twice for peace of mind.

Yes

yes that’s the other option

But then does that serve go down in ICBF as a repeat and you won’t know what your conception rate to first serve was, that’s my query on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

5 months silage…? jaysus according to ginger we have the best land in our parish yet we make enough silage to do us for 9months…. always make plenty of silage… going filling the diet feeder there shortly for the cows… got 15mm rain here yesterday.. and got 15mm as well on tuesday… if we were to get a bit of heat now there will be savage grass about..

'wet and windy may fills the barns with corn and hay'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭cosatron

im sorry grasstomilk but f**k icbf, once the cows in calf that's the main thing. stats padding has the whole game in heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

was talking to a lad not far from you who worked in the Dept. of Ag retired last year.. he told me 300-400 cows are being sold in Kerry each week… between marts dealers going straight to factories etc…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭the_blue_oval

Could do the second serve the following morning to a different breed and make a note of it. You won’t know till next spring which they held too but at least you’ll know better for next years breeding if the early or later serve is working better. As said above I wouldn’t be too worried about what’s down on icbf as long as they’re in calf, at least you’d know better for next year.

Imagine if they had to survive on 130 cows. It would be some fall back to earth.

5 months minimum from November, not accounting for the silage the Milkers would have eaten in the backend. We’d always have a big surplus of silage around the yards come April cows would usually be out full time before the end of March and you need a good stock of silage as ground can change very quickly here, under 200 bales left here now and that’s after buying 50 or so bales at the start of the year as well, wouldn’t want anymore weather disasters.
    Put silage out for Milkers yesterday evening after they had gone out after milking, went out to check a cow at 10pm near calving and only a handful had came in, all in the shed early this morning hoping that’s the last silage fed out to them for a good bit now, weather is looking up thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Kerry2021

I was talking to someone in teagasc this week. I found him very informative and helpful. A nice man to be fair to him. He told me though that he reckons long term the nitrates will be cut from 170kg to 150kg. Sure at 150kg they’ll be putting an awful lot of people just out of business. Don’t think it would personally affect me but it’ll have massive ramifications for the co-op’s here in Ireland as regards their milk pool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hes assuming the current shower of politicains both here and in Brussels will be in power to ram through their green agenda, the european elections could be very intresting, and the above shower could be in the minority instead of the majority

it was more for myself to know than ICBF figures tbh

I’ll just have to go back to recording in the ai book and see how many have repeated that way

tbf now I think the person jack is referring too has bought 70 acres in recent years. There would be good amount of money needed for that never mind what other infrastructure has been built

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Took a drive with an oap to the post office and took a different road home for the scenery.

There's an awful amount of land gone to tillage that was in grassland last year. I might be lambasted. But the whinging and begging to the minister has worked with the increased subsidies. I even see a dairy farmer with 20 acres on the home block accessible to cows by roadway gone into barley with tramlines. Another former dairy farmer a few hundred metres on. The dairy herd went and they are all completely organic tillage this year.

Whatever of timoleague and watching nitrates in waterways. All this will ensure more nitrates in waterways in this area now.

Don’t know any farmers buying 70 acres off the back of farming alone these days, I’m sure they had their research done and stress tested the loan repayment capacity at various stocking levels and scenarios before jumping into that commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Imagine if you had to start with 40 Acres of rock And rushes I wonder would you survive.

it could be 4 or 5 year ago it was bought when land wasn’t at crazy prices and it was doable for a farmer to buy. There was also no mention of dero being at risk a couple of years ago, teagasc had promoted for years to aim for 2.5-2.7 lu/ha and that’s what ppl did

If you own all your land and are happy to sit at what numbers it can carry that’s fine but for ppl that wanted to make it bigger for what ever reason are going to be left very exposed. Not fair to be mocking them imo. It’s kind of like saying “I couldn’t /didn’t want to expand and now you have to cut back numbers after building them up and now you’re worse off than me after it all, haha”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

why would there heads be wrecked …they get paid for a service …farmers going to expense of monitoring systems and investing in sexed semen should make full use of the technology and serve at optimal time …if this means serving am pm so be it it’s only for short few weeks

I’m not advocating for them to be ‘thought a lesson’ or any of the like, half the ground we now own was bought and have only two payments made on the latest block that was bought. My father never over extended himself and is now milking 3 times the amount of cows when he left school at 16 to go farming full time without the help of shares or off farm income etc. My point was that if you can’t survive at 140 cows what hope have you got, it’s easy have that new parlour, new shed or that new piece of land but if you haven’t planned for the worst before making them plunges who’s to blame?

Are you doing any AI yourself? Always thinking of doing the course here, getting monitoring system and dumping the bulls.

The very definition of derogation meant that it was temporary. It's only a minority of farmers that blindly follow teagasc.

In business you have to adapt and not just blame other people.

Of course I myself are plenty guilty of whinging and Moaning but in the background I am not going to get myself into an unsustainable position and blame others for my decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭farmertipp

the big 3 need to be run well too though. I can see trouble down the road in dg if wrong guy appointed ceo. we need a fresh pair of hands. not someone who has been at dg coalface for yrs. someone with energy drive and vision. sadly lacking in dg atm

my folks started with nothing, dads dad died when he was 15 , had to buy 40 ac off my fathers mother to start out

They took every chance possible and pushed it hard all the time, doubt I’d be farming at all if they didn’t do all that tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think the last 18 months would test the sustainability of any enterprise. Looks like we need to plan for 9 month winters from now on

Advertisement