Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Fellas following "the experts" made eyewatering profits last year.

It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭straight

Hardly eye watering. I'd call it a fair price for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A neighbour had a cow wedged in a man pass in his parlour this evening. The fecker was stuck at the hips, and head and front legs down in the pit. Growning like an eejit. And trying to pull herself through. Eventually when there was enough neighbours and straps and a pulley out of the roof, she was got back where cows should be standing but was down feeling very sorry for herself. She couldn't be left there so I went for my hip clamp to try on her. Came back and a neighbour said she looks bright enough. So her gave her encouragement and up she pops. And walked back to a straw bedded shed. Some relief. I honestly nearly thought looking at her first she'd nearly be a goner. Between the cow and getting out of where she was and on her feet and all the neighbours coming together for one purpose. It's made for a memorable Friday evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fortunate to have great neighbours here as well. Farms were kept going between em when men were down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Prob about 2 ton fed I’d say.... they were milking well enuf til Xmas but dropped below 10 litres in last week or 2.. so out the gate... 1700 lady had a very difficult calving as a heifer 2 yrs ago.... putting her back in calf again was a no no.. so milked her away... and fed her well in the process...

• Advertisement

Unfortunately some of the fellas following the experts missed out on eye watering profits due to having milk in fixed price contracts arrangements....

Some more misfortunes dried their cows off early this year to stay under 6300 litres. It was then announced after they were dried off that 2022 could be used as a reference year instead of an average of 3 years.

Teagasc advice is milk no cow in December anymore if you are a couple of hundred litres over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How much are paying for contract rearing per day, calves are taken at 3 months old.

This is doing the rounds on Facebook along with a pic of the lovely John gibbons.

Would like to make followers aware of this man, one John Gibbons. Likes to blame Irish Agriculture across Irish media and Twitter for what he likes to call the current Climate Crisis, formerly Change, formerly warming.

For 32 years he has been a founding partner in the MedMedia group, who operate marketing for Big Pharma companies.

A study, which assessed emissions reported by large pharma companies in 2015 – found the industry emitted more, and was more carbon-intensive, than the automotive industry. Specifically, the 48.55 tonnes of CO2 equivalent that the sector emitted per million dollars of revenue was found to be 55% greater than the emissions of the automotive sector. He has been silent on this issue so far of course.

Likes to block anyone who offers any constructive debate on issues that don't suit his agenda. Maybe it's time he got called out on who HE represents before his constant and unfair dissing of Irish Farmers #enoughisenough

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yes, him and the family are selling up the 500 ac family farm soon

he wanted it sold back 20 years ago when his father died to pay his debts but his mother who was in her 80s at the time stuck it into 20 years lease

his mother was a great Ifa women and his uncle was minister for ag back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭farmertipp

he is some legacy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Gibbons is a very good speaker though and you can see why he's an easy go to guy when a radio producer is trying to fill some airtime. We just need someone on our team as articulate to counter his spiel.

He never seems to get challenged. He is just invited on to rant and rave and to upset people and grab headlines. I wouldn't say he's a great speaker. He is very repetitive and loves starting his sentences with a big loud NOW. Its kind of hard to lose when you are just ranting about everything that is wrong without having to come up with any solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

You hit the nail on the head there …a disgrace on Matt copper every week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Youll never get the better in a war of words with a c**t like that, the game is lost in the aspect of trying to comply with the EU/Irish government bending the knee to keep up with the latest cuts and regulations, it’s at a stage now with yearly chopping and changing of derogations/slurry storage rules/export of n halved per 1000 gallons and p allowance the same, that been the cute hoor and going the unconventional route is the only option now, you need to be thinking more like the esb and quarries that where highlighted on a prime time special a few years ago

When you rant and rave. You set the agenda. The opponent doesn't know where the rant and rave is going to go. The rant and raver has the discussion 80% won at that stage. On the farmer side any farmer rep put up covers all sectors. So if the rant and raver says we need more tillage and cut stock numbers. The rep will give in on the idea as it's all farming. Hence it's government policy now. If the rant and raver gets cosy with Greta and campaigns for targets in Brussels. The government goes along as it's Greta plus the ranter and raver has the Green party ministers for back up. What we have in the ranter and ravers is the equivalent of Vladimir Solovyov (Gibbons) mouthpiece for Vladimir Putin (Eamon Ryan). It's the same tactics. They look crazy but they've an unofficial job to do in the media and steer public opinion. Public opinion to influence politicians to form government policy. The last three years here it's been very successful as a tactic.

I'll sound crazy myself but the tactics used by the crowd here even down to influencing school children, and the Russian state are similar if not identical.

Post edited by Say my name on

The station probably gets a backhand payment for the time slot.

Anyway Matt Cooper himself is au fait with the North Korea - Russia sphere of influence.

The bollix is not representative of the general population. People still have great time for farmers and food producers imo. Only a matter of time before the truth comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its highly likely that farms with over 150 cows and/or a certain stocking rate on milking platforms on will need an EPA licence to operate (similar to pig and poultry units) in the near future, especially if water quality continues to deteriate within intensive catchments. Its about to be signed off at EU level and is already being implemented in a number of EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There's always one lunatic heifer that wouldn't do without going all out to kill a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭ginger22

Yes indeed a lot of lads getting pissed off with it all. The SFP is shrinking by the day and more and more must be done to get it. If the teachers or guards were asked to do more they would be out on strike for higher pay. But what can you do. They have lads caught with this Bord Bia audit. You either play by their rules or get out.

Bord bia aren't enforcing anything at the minute, re stocking rates on farm etc, its a paper exercise and I'd say co-ops will keep it that way bar stricter enforcement of calf welfare, if they go the other direction and start pulling bord bia status from farms in breach of nitrates it will be a great way to shrink their supplier base

Very true... can’t believe the co-ops are staying silent about cutting cows... it’s not good for them... lots of talk of lads not bothering with sfp going forward.... our agri consultant says lots of there clients are talking bout giving up there sfp but so far none actually have

I'm at it here haven't drew a sfp in the 10 years I'm farming, whenever I'm doing my bord bia inspections it's never a issue, have a 150 acres rented for maize and silage, but its a no maps land owners draw sfp arrangement, I'm simply getting the forage of it, the catch for alot of lads is they don't want to give up the cheque in the post and obviously you can't avail of any tams grants our other schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭ginger22

Interesting. And any hassle with the milk purchase about not being approved.

I've passed all my bord bia audits with zero issues touchwood, last one was last spring, explain to inspector the situation re rented land with no maps and they've never pulled us up on it....

The cheque in the post is being eroded every year nevermind the inflation. 10k ten years ago is probably only worth about 7k now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do you have to export all the slurry to the map acre owners even though you are using it for all your own crops ,are thw dept making this a much harder excerise .

Advertisement