Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

straight wrote: »
    Once a day here. 80% conception rate at the end of week 6 usually. But a couple of them wouldn't make it to week 12 after for example. Just do 3 weeks Ai and release the bull here

Conception to first service?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

K.G. wrote: »
    Tech lands late in the evening(9 to 11) and does everything seen that day.i thought you should be getting 60% conception

That's very late to be faffing around in the yard. Ai in the morning here. Ai man here around 9. Wouldn't have the patience to be waiting around for ai man in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's very late to be faffing around in the yard. Ai in the morning here. Ai man here around 9. Wouldn't have the patience to be waiting around for ai man in the evening
    You may not have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    Conception to first service?

Ya, 90+ submission in first 3 weeks. And 80+ percent of them keep. Touch wood. Actually get more repeats off the bull which is understandable as he is trying to mop up repeats. As I said some of the 80% will come back in after 6 weeks or lose the embryo or stuff like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Its his last callnon way home.hes a bit earlier this week as he is over rhe hump. Only another week in it now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Grueller wrote: »
    Fcuking milking machine went on the fritz this morning. Fair play to my electrician, I called him at 5.45 and he was in my yard at 6.10. Machine going at 6.30. Some service to be fair.

A few problems with milking machines around here over the weekend.
    Two transformers out of action and only 200V supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The Rabbi wrote: »
    A few problems with milking machines around here over the weekend.
    Two transformers out of action and only 200V supply.

Enough grief with low supply voltage here last few yrs, plenty of blown capacitors and motors. I really need to get a voltage monitor of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Timmaay wrote: »
    Enough grief with low supply voltage here last few yrs, plenty of blown capacitors and motors. I really need to get a voltage monitor of some sort.

Voltage drop and blown capacitors often tends to be down to issue with cable sizing. Had an issue with the water pump and it was being supplied with 2.5mm cable for a long time. Change of pump and had issues. Electrian said it's now time for a new cable, and put 10mm cable in, no issues since

Is the parlour far from the meter and what size cable is supplying it. This could be the issue

Another issue could be the transformer supplying the farm maybe too small as it, could also be supplying other houses, easy way of getting it sorted is if you could get the other customers to complain to ESB networks that the lights in the house are flickering during the times of milking

Voltage is the equivalent of water volume in a pipe and the current is the pressure. The smaller the pipe, with a large requirement for water the pressure/ current will drop.

Got my own transformer in over 10 years ago. Great job

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Got my own transformer in over 10 years ago. Great job

That's usually the main culprit. User may need to demand a transformer. Get Sparks to colloborate low voltage. Low voltage is a product not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement

Voltage drop and blown capacitors often tends to be down to issue with cable sizing. Had an issue with the water pump and it was being supplied with 2.5mm cable for a long time. Change of pump and had issues. Electrian said it's now time for a new cable, and put 10mm cable in, no issues since

Is the parlour far from the meter and what size cable is supplying it. This could be the issue

Another issue could be the transformer supplying the farm maybe too small as it, could also be supplying other houses, easy way of getting it sorted is if you could get the other customers to complain to ESB networks that the lights in the house are flickering during the times of milking

Voltage is the equivalent of water volume in a pipe and the current is the pressure. The smaller the pipe, with a large requirement for water the pressure/ current will drop.

Your probably right, 80amp fuse supplying the farm with a shared transformer (only 2 other houses in fairness). Anyone hazard a guess at what it would be to get my own transformer. I'm too far gone to bother with 3phase by now, despite the cables being overhead ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Your probably right, 80amp fuse supplying the farm with a shared transformer (only 2 other houses in fairness). Anyone hazard a guess at what it would be to get my own transformer. I'm too far gone to bother with 3phase by now, despite the cables being overhead ha.

Would it not be cheaper to get 3 phase if it's that close to you?

If the cables are overhead get the three phase, will cost only a few hundred more than upgrading a transformer or getting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

If the transformer is being changed or 3phase going in, it will require a cert from electrian. This will add to the cost of the job aswell. Will be a bit of lead in time from when you apply and get cert in to when ESB land to do the job , so make sure the ducks are in a row

Cows they the wire last night and heifers after breaking into ground closed for silage, 3 of the feckers bulling to boot. They're testing my patience thus year. Got into the last of the bales last week as well and destroyed the lot

Cows they the wire last night and heifers after breaking into ground closed for silage, 3 of the feckers bulling to boot. They're testing my patience thus year. Got into the last of the bales last week as well and destroyed the lot

Heifers are a pain in the ass. I have them near the yard for Ai and they're roaring at me all day. Running around the field all day and generally doing the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Oh man! I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Heifers are a pain in the ass. I have them near the yard for Ai and they're roaring at me all day. Running around the field all day and generally doing the bollix.

Thought it was only my b1tches that does that. About quarter acre reddened inside the wire.

Fecking cows bit hungry here I'd say. Had them in 1100 cover with 5kg nuts. They'd probably be OK if the weather played ball but I'm going to introduce a bale of silage at milking time tomorrow for gut fill. They're doing about 29 litres and 2.2 kgms so I hope I'll be able to keep they're milk up. Seems to be a great recovery in recent grazed paddocks but the ones grazed 2-3 weeks ago are parked. Only grew 52 last week.

Need a belter of a shock when they go out first . That softens their run. Cows afraid of the fence here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone run heifers with the cows during breeding?

If the cables are overhead get the three phase, will cost only a few hundred more than upgrading a transformer or getting a new one.

Does 3 phase make any difference to my existing setup? Ie vacuum pump, bulk tank compressor, scrapers, well pump etc all are single phase? In fairness the low voltage isn't the end of the world once it doesn't get any worse, 2 or 3 capacitors a year, and one 600e vacuum pump motor in the 5yrs the parlour has been in. I certainly think some sort of voltage monitor and actually see how frequently it drops would be a useful 1st step.

I picked 2 14month old fr bulls with actually reasonable ebi figures for 750e each, and lobbed them in with the heifers and have largely forgotten about them aside from moving their fence every few days. I got no interest in going back AI'ing heifers again ever ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

visatorro wrote: »

Did it last year had the group of 20 heifers with the cows gave them all one serve over 12 days using PG on day 7+10 , then brought them back to outfarm with angus bull as too heavily stocked to keep them any longer. Worked well though at the start they were just staying at back of collecting yard and not bothering with parlour but in the last few days they were going through the parlour for nuts too.

Does 3 phase make any difference to my existing setup? Ie vacuum pump, bulk tank compressor, scrapers, well pump etc all are single phase? In fairness the low voltage isn't the end of the world once it doesn't get any worse, 2 or 3 capacitors a year, and one 600e vacuum pump motor in the 5yrs the parlour has been in. I certainly think some sort of voltage monitor and actually see how frequently it drops would be a useful 1st step.

Have 3 phase here from when we changed tank and parlour but that's all that's got 3 phase equipment, house and rest of yard is still single phase. 3 phase motors are actually cheaper as no capacitors needed. Be worth chatting to the electrician anyway, esp if you have anything planned to do or that may come up upgrades wise

visatorro wrote: »

Do it most years,no problem
    Usually all going in calf and they get parlour trained

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone on here ever deal with Grass-Tec when buying or selling stock: https://www.grasstecgroup.com/livestock-services/livestock-for-sale/

What are they like to deal with? I'd appreciate any experiences of them. Send a DM if preferred.

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Timmaay wrote:

You'd imagine you'd be able to get a transformer type thing to go back to single phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

The electrician just takes one phase off the 3 phase to run the legacy equipment. Or one of the phases for the tank, one phase for the parlour, one for everything else. And use all 3 for any new gear going in.

Advertisement