Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There’s a learner driver running the show.

Options
  • 06-07-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Only in this republic surely. A learner driver has been assigned responsibility for agriculture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Grueller

Only in this republic surely. A learner driver has been assigned responsibility for agriculture.

Sure he has a state sponsored driver now so it makes no differ if he can drive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,302 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Has there been any explanation as to why he was on a learner license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s ridiculous. An absolute shambles. It’s embarrassing for the country’s hard working people.
    And what I mean by that statement is it’s ridiculous it’s even making the news. It’s 4 years ago since the drive driving incident.
    I cannot stand when people say “only in this country” In a derogatory way.
    It’s a hell of lot better than most countries.
    If the streets were Paved with gold here some people would complain they are too bright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭kk.man

It’s ridiculous. An absolute shambles. It’s embarrassing for the country’s hard working people.
    And what I mean by that statement is it’s ridiculous it’s even making the news. It’s 4 years ago since the drive driving incident.
    If the streets were Paved with gold here some people would complain they are too bright

Why did this come out now? I'm not a FF supporter but what I have seen of Cowen as a politician I have to say he is not the worst.

Would SF have spun this to take the heat off...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Given that farmers children drive tractors towing 10 tonne silage trailers thru villages at 60kmph, i think he'll be a good example as M.o.A

:-)

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Why did this come out now? I'm not a FF supporter but what I have seen of Cowen as a politician I have to say he is not the worst.

Would SF have spun this to take the heat off...

Internal party politics, many ministers in waiting that didn't get jobs, some quite unhappy to go in with FG, others dislike MM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PonchoMcHoncho

What has driving got to do with being minister for agriculture?

Internal party politics, many ministers in waiting that didn't get jobs, some quite unhappy to go in with FG, others dislike MM.

If that's the way they carry on we are better off without them. Real childish behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

So what if he had a learner licence - true...
    But was he off driving about himself when he should have had a qualified driver with him? How come it’s ok for him to break the law?
    I’d be interested to know as well did he pass his test after, or did the the learner licence problem just ‘get fixed’ somehow?

Having a learner licence by itself isn’t an issue - thinking the law doesn’t apply to you is an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Last minister for transport didnt drive, maybe Barry Cowens the right man as he knows the hardship for young rural dwellers learning to drive as hes probably learning longer than a lot of them

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Worseman

It's no secret a major player in Irish Agriculture, also has a finger in the media pie.

This could well be part of a strategy to ensure the minister is undermined from the outset, and removes his ability to interrupt the cosy non-cartel.

I think Barry would have been a positive for farmers, however I'm not so sure now.

Based on his own foolishness - not obtaining a full driving licence / drink driving, combined with how his credibility has been dragged through the mud.

He might have to do a deal with the devil to make this go away, and anytime he tried to enact legislation for the benefit of farmers, we'll see this splashed all over the front pages again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dont worry .........

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Well that would be an awful waste of tax payers money, what would be wrong with silver paving???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If he's able to show me the money going forward through bps and a decent sensible reps scheme i couldn't care if he once drink driving and on a learner permit. look forwards not back. put that pedal to the headlamp Barry

He was also done for speeding , whilst on a provisional licence 3 months previously. You'd think he would have sorted the full licence after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

He has passed his test now I believe.

Grueller wrote: »
    Sure he has a state sponsored driver now so it makes no differ if he can drive or not.

You’re living about 10 years in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m sure plenty here have been caught speeding, and even an odd one for drink driving.
    He was caught, charged and prosecuted. He didn’t get the charge quashed like many politicians have done.

It was a road traffic offence, he’s paid his price and should be allowed to leave it behind. I’ve read a few places he has his license now. Politically I’ve only heard people say decent things about him.

It’s not like he was photographed with a pedophile sympathiser saying how great it was to be with him, now something like that would be an actual big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Dont worry .........

Yea, because James Reilly who is a GP was a great minister for Health.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Yea, because James Reilly who is a GP was a great minister for Health.....

while i agree with you... some of the Ministerial appointments are baffling... the appointment of Regina Doherty is beyond ridiculous... surely the Seanad is an opportunity draft in a bit of youth into politics and not bring back a waste of space that the poeple of Meath rejected... when your own dont want you that says it all....

i would b traditionally a FF supporter... but our Taoiseach in my opinion hasnt a clue....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Given that farmers children drive tractors towing 10 tonne silage trailers thru villages at 60kmph, i think he'll be a good example as M.o.A

:-)

But Cowen is getting paid :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Seamus Brennan was Minister for Transpirt for a number of years and never had a licence.
    He was a driving force behind getting the Luas project completed.
    Fondly remembered by every single politician and person in Leinster House because on his instruction there was a party in his memory in the Dail bar where all drink was free, and everyone was invited. Porters, cleaners, kitchen staff, everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Bertie never had a bank account.
    And only worked cash.
    Allegedly.
    Allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

ruwithme wrote: »
    If he's able to show me the money going forward through bps and a decent sensible reps scheme i couldn't care if he once drink driving and on a learner permit. look forwards not back. put that pedal to the headlamp Barry

Parish pump politics at its finest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭endainoz

Gods Gift wrote: »
    And only worked cash.
    Allegedly.
    Allegedly.

Bertie also didn't drive I think? I also think it's absolutely ridiculous to believe that Martin didn't know about this already, just had to act surprised when the storey came out.

It was dealt with already and it's ridiculous that's it's been brought up again. I'm by no means a FF fan but for gods sake give the man a chance to do his job first and then judge him after on how well he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Dirt will always be dug up for the high profiled , I just hope he is a good minister , I don’t think there is anyone on here that hasn’t done something at some stage in there lives they regret . Sometimes social media can get miserable , I see on Twitter there is always smiles trying to have a go at anything and everything , all with nameless profiles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

That’s actually Barry doing his drivers theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

What is it with FF they are only in power a week controversies coming up .

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Gods Gift wrote: »
    And only worked cash.
    Allegedly.
    Allegedly.

Bertie, of course, always told the truth.

I wonder is he still jumping out from a corner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

Fred Daly wrote: »
    What is it with FF they are only in power a week controversies coming up .

FF are always involved in controversy. Brown envelopes, drink driving, corruption etc.
    People are still trying to recover from the last recession and now they are back in power. Unbelievable.

Advertisement