Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling Ragwort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Have you tried it on thistles. Thistles are killing me here. Constant battle every year. Ragwort is long gone.

It's not great on the big spear thistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have you tried it on thistles. Thistles are killing me here. Constant battle every year. Ragwort is long gone.

Ah but do you not recall the tale of the blind man marrying off his daughter & him happy to hear about the thistles on the land :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

emaherx wrote: »
    It's not great on the big spear thistles.

I actually thought it did a decent job on spear thistles, even some docks came up with a bit of persuasion. But in fairness it works perfectly for what it's designed for. I can see this ragwort pulling becoming a bit of an obsession this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

519848.jpeg

That's my bit done for today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's my bit done for today

A fine crop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Dont know if its just me but i have never noticed such big lumps of clay/soil coming up with ths ragweed this year when i pull them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I'm convinced ragwort are useful for something other than poisoning stock. too fine and healthy looking they are. Docks and nettles only grow through abandonment and plenty of manure

but the ragwort??
    in time we could be paid to preserve fields off them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Cinnabar Moth might become an endangered species.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

We'll have to follow the money anyway John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Water John wrote: »
    The Cinnabar Moth might become an endangered species.

Looking around the country, I don't think there is any fear of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

Another box full pulled today, have them all bagged in a dry shed now. Just need to wait for a decent dry day to burn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK burning concentrates the toxins, so make sure no animals have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Assuming no animals have access growing or pulled ragwort.

When is plant grown too much to be worth while pulling. As in at what stage are seeds already gone in the wind.

Got a patch here it’s beating me. A bit of rain is welcome to make the pulling easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

49801 wrote: »
    Assuming no animals have access growing or pulled ragwort.

When is plant grown too much to be worth while pulling. As in at what stage are seeds already gone in the wind.

Got a patch here it’s beating me. A bit of rain is welcome to make the pulling easier

Any time is great, just try to take the root up too or it will just regrow next year.

Once the flowers are set, we usually pull the flowers off and put them in a bag by themselves and burn when dried out. And shallow bury the remainder of the plants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Dont know if its just me but i have never noticed such big lumps of clay/soil coming up with ths ragweed this year when i pull them

Have to agree, I think they rooted deeper in the dry spring this year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Any time is great, just try to take the root up too or it will just regrow next year.

Once the flowers are set, we usually pull the flowers off and put them in a bag by themselves and burn when dried out. And shallow bury the remainder of the plants.
    I have a small paddock that I've usually wintered horses on .. for reasons beyond my control there is ragwort in high numbers that were not pulled.. have gone to seed and if I pull I think will break apart .. any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Its also possible to rot them down.

Put in a large pile preferably on plastic and cover with sheets of galv or similar. It rots down well. Never had problem with seeds from this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have a small paddock that I've usually wintered horses on .. for reasons beyond my control there is ragwort in high numbers that were not pulled.. have gone to seed and if I pull I think will break apart .. any suggestions

Get a ragfork likes endainozs above. Great job for lifting both plant and roots. If they're seeding - use fertiliser bag or similar as you lift them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Remove what you can particularly the seed head. Get what you can next year

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

49801 wrote: »
    Remove what you can particularly the seed head. Get what you can next year

Perfect will do ..thaall for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

So I pulled ragwort from a field today.. And just dumped them into a deep ditch where livestock can't get at them. Just wondering if I should have put them into a bag (seeds might spread) or throwing them into a the deep sheugh might be okay.

The sheugh is well fenced off and livestock won't reach down to them but seeds might still seed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Should be fine...I've done something similar for years. The place only has about 10/20 a year now. They will rot down....I usually pull long before they go to seed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They will still go to seed but the seed should not travel far. One think you could do is cover them with plastic or a tarp for 4-6 weeks. Throw a few pallets and/or tyres on top of the plastic.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Are you killing the root though. Quick kills toilet that usually mean just the top growth is killed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Anyone make soup with it, lady down the road does and she says it’s lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I had never read "sheugh" written before. Had to google it.

But I've just realised that maybe that is what we've been saying all these years when we said "shore" for drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Never heard of ragworth soup???

Are you sure it's not nettle soup...I've made that and I prefer vegetable or a nice fresh pea soup

I always thought ragworth is toxic for humans too?

If it is I'd steer well clear of that one and definitely don't go over for dinner!😛

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Is that the woman with the purple skin and yellow hair???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It's an old remedy - hence the wort in the plant name.

"Women use golden ragwort for treating irregular or painful menstrual periods and symptoms of menopause. They also use it to reduce pain and ease childbirth."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

No your still OK. , a shore is a gravel drain that runs into a shuck (sheugh)

Advertisement