Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth-lined slurry storage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Surely there's no need for planning for an existing structure? It's more from an environmental point of view where the op might run into trouble?

If you are changing the structure, making it bigger/smaller/deeper/longer etc strictly you need planning. You can also only replace like for like finally you have to factor there was no planning in the first place

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks again folks for the comments.

After a few more phone calls yesterday, my head is starting to clear a bit. Most of the following is not set in stone, but is enough to mean dairy remains an option for us at this stage:

* County Council are really only called on if there's a new building going up and you're applying for planning

* As Bass said above, a lined lagoon is off the agenda since our CoCo won't accept them

* Dept are most likely to question the existing structure if/when an inspection takes place

* The two co-ops I could supply (very little between them apparently) both require their suppliers to be in Bord Bia; they are more concerned with safety and the structure being fenced off properly rather than checking the structure itself for leaks

* Advisors: independent lads and the official lads may vary in their opinions - better to speak to both and try figure out the balance between the two

* 35-40 cows is enough to get started with and might even be enough to make a living on, depending on fixed/business costs (had a very interesting chat with the man told me this!)

Have a few more phone calls to make over the coming days and hopefully I'll have more of an idea then

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement