Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter removing "master", "slave", and "blacklist" to be more inclusi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Normal people can understand the obvious reasons for light / white being good and dark / black being evil.

Firstly why do you think white is associated with light? Light has no colour?

And why is light good night evil?

No i can't understand it. It makes no more sense than saying the sun is good and the moon is evil!

Firstly why do you think white is associated with light? Light has no colour?

And why is light good night evil?

No i can't understand it. It makes no more sense than saying the sun is good and the moon is evil!

You don't understand why cultures all around he world associate light with good and dark with bad or evil..

Tell us why you think it is, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That can't be a genuine question. I refuse to believe that a grown adult with a functioning brain can't think of why all around the world, light is associated with good.

So, you are someone who believes that worldwide, it is self-explanatory that white/light is good but black/dark is evil while also believing that it is ridiculous that many norms in today's society lead to people from a particular community feel alienated.

Surely if you believe the first part of that statement, you would understand the reason why steps are being taken to overcome an implicit bias in how many things have been portrayed.

That can't be a genuine question. I refuse to believe that a grown adult with a functioning brain can't think of why all around the world, light is associated with good.
    I can't believe a grown adult would assume that light is associated with good all around the world.

Just to let you know ..that is not true.

Black and white dualism is VERY christian thing WESTERN THING.

And NO not all cultures think this way.

Egypt for example called itself the black land ...or the dark land ...they associated red with bad and black with good.

It would be like saying everyone sees the moon as bad and the sun as good.

And maybe even such a statement as 'darkness is associated with evil is universal' shows a rudimentary understanding of those very cultures at best.

Its blindness ...ignorance ...that is what is associated with evil....

Reception intellect.

Plato's cave was not associating darkness with stupidity ..it was nothing to do with a cave you get me? Its more or less saying ..some people don't wanna learn no matter what.

but whatever.

Darkness is healing. Darkness is protective. Darkness ...helps you see things in a diff way.

You don't understand why cultures all around he world associate light with good and dark with bad or evil..

Tell us why you think it is, then.

THEY ...DON'T ....

Not even your own contemporary culture associated darkness with evil ...

365xk.jpg

Islam ,Judaism all go by the lunar calendar not the solar one.

• Advertisement

Is it about black people, or not?

Is it about black people, or not?

Firstly the OP has decided that this report is true. Which its probably not.

And the rest of this is just trying to create this fake culture war nonsense.

Its not about black people. Its about what some people will actually believe.

Firstly the OP has decided that this report is true. Which its probably not.

And the rest of this is just trying to create this fake culture war nonsense.

Its not about black people. Its about what some people will actually believe.

I'm the OP. Cnet is a very reputable source and it's all over the internet.

Glad we can agree that it's not about black people. That's all I wanted to hear.

Glad we can agree that it's not about black people. That's all I wanted to hear.

You just proved the validity of Twitters move with your white/light good, black/dark bad thing.

You just proved the validity of Twitters move with your white/light good, black/dark bad thing.

In whatever cuckooland you have been living in for the last few years, I'm sure I did. Out in the real world, no I didn't.

Why do you think of dark / black / bad / evil when you see a black person? I don't. I just see a person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If twitter and other big companies are removing these words, then why shouldn't the OED also? In fact all the dictionaries should.

We should also ban the use of these words under penalty of death. Nothing else is good enough, this is racism we're talking about people.

Anyone thinking these words should turn themselves in immediately for rehabilitation.(Ala starbucks sensitivity training).

Then, finally, the world will be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is stupid and a lot of programming languages are doing it too, a lot of SJW get into programming and brainchild these stupid rewrites, the OP is correct it is dumb and any grown adult can see nothing in these term is racial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Normal people can understand the obvious reasons for light / white being good and dark / black being evil.

Imagine thinking that it must be about black people. Like tricking yourself into believing something that isn't true because it matches your politics.

It doesn’t help though, does it? I think that’s the point being made. I don’t think I’ll ever forget this Benetton advertisement that was on billboards all around Ireland at the time -

91bae46eb8ab9889084f4412407f2a58.jpg

10 Most Controversial United Colors Of Benetton Ads

Your efforts to deny the connection are like Gilette claiming there was no intention to court controversy with their recent advertising campaign. They’re being patently disingenuous, that’s exactly what it was intended to do.

In the same way, yes we’re all aware that master and slave are in the context of computer hardware, but they were called that in the first place as a result of their relationship and function being analogous to master and slave from a historical social context! That nobody saw anything inappropriate with it at the time is insufficient justification to maintain the terms.

Are you really suggesting you’re going to be that put out by the relationship being understood as something else using alternative terminology? I doubt it, computer terminology, just like hardware, develops all the time and language used to describe these relationships and objects becomes obsolete just as fast.

Really ...you just want people to tell you something ..that what this is about?

I don't owe you anything...

In the same way, yes we’re all aware that master and slave are in the context of computer hardware, but they were called that in the first place as a result of their relationship and function being analogous to master and slave from a historical social context! That nobody saw anything inappropriate with it at the time is insufficient justification to maintain the terms.

No idea why you're adding in United Colors Of Benetton. And no, I won't be put out by it because while I am a programmer, I have never had to use those terms as I am not advanced enough basically. If there is some shift where these terms are changed and older applications don't work on my servers, then I will be affected. That's unlikely though.

And they are called that because they are the suitable terms for it. There is nothing inappropriate about it, then or now. That's my point. They aren't racially charged terms. Slavery ended 150 years ago in the US, and there are more slaves now than ever before. And it's got nothing to do with race. I strongly dislike this notion that slave = black person when in reality, slave is the person catching that shrimp you're eating while discussing how good it is Twitter is making this move. Slave is the prostitute you visit afterwards while feeling good about how socially progressive you are.

And they are called that because they are the suitable terms for it. There is nothing inappropriate about it, then or now. That's my point. They aren't racially charged terms. Slavery ended 150 years ago in the US, and there are more slaves now than ever before. And it's got nothing to do with race. .

Modern Slavery has a lot to do with race and even more to do with gender.

The Global Slavery Index (2018) estimated that roughly 40.3 million individuals are currently caught in modern slavery, with 71% of those being female.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No idea why you're adding in United Colors Of Benetton. And no, I won't be put out by it because while I am a programmer, I have never had to use those terms as I am not advanced enough basically. If there is some shift where these terms are changed and older applications don't work on my servers, then I will be affected. That's unlikely though.

You don’t have to be a programmer to know that there are over 500 programming languages, some obsolete, some in regular use, and more being developed all the time.

And they are called that because they are the suitable terms for it. There is nothing inappropriate about it, then or now. That's my point. They aren't racially charged terms. Slavery ended 150 years ago in the US, and there are more slaves now than ever before. And it's got nothing to do with race. I strongly dislike this notion that slave = black person when in reality, slave is the person catching that shrimp you're eating while discussing how good it is Twitter is making this move. Slave is the prostitute you visit afterwards while feeling good about how socially progressive you are.

Riiiiiiight, and you have ‘no idea’ why I added in the United Colours of Benetton advertising campaigns? :rolleyes:

To use the slippery slope argument, in recent time we have seen the word white be bad enough for it to be removed from Nivea whitening cream, and the word black be bad enough that blacklist or black sheep is an issue. If white is used in a positive context, it's racist. If black is used in a negative context, it's racist.

This is only going one way. The more people cheer things on saying "Well how does it affect you?" as if these events exist in a vacuum, the more it will happen. There's a whitewashing of history and language to try and appease this loud minority of people who desperately try to be insulted by everything. Getting insulted by the terms master and slave when you are a highly-paid engineer in Twitter is a conscious decision. If you are that high in that field, you know it's not a racial thing.

And it is a slippery slope. As evidenced by people in this thread who never thought about this stuff before but now support the terms' removal. I can't believe we're living in a time where "whitelist" is problematic because it's a positive thing containing the word white.

To use the slippery slope argument, in recent time we have seen the word white be bad enough for it to be removed from Nivea whitening cream, and the word black be bad enough that blacklist or black sheep is an issue. If white is used in a positive context, it's racist. If black is used in a negative context, it's racist.
    Nivea whitening cream is a skin bleaching cream that when used makes the skin more prone to skin cancers.
    Constant use of skin lightening products has now proven to cause cell mutation and damage due to the absorption by the skin. These products also cause the production of free radical cells in your body that causes cancer.

All because darker skin has been made less desirable.

Modern Slavery has a lot to do with race and even more to do with gender.

The Global Slavery Index (2018) estimated that roughly 40.3 million individuals are currently caught in modern slavery, with 71% of those being female.

It really doesn't have much to do with race. There aren't plantations of one race owning another. Gangs own modern slaves and gangs use their own.

Black pimps, black prostitutes. Asian shrimp boats, Asian slaves. Eastern European gangs, Eastern European women.

• Advertisement

It really doesn't have much to do with race. There aren't plantations of one race owning another. Gangs own modern slaves and gangs use their own.

Black pimps, black prostitutes. Asian shrimp boats, Asian slaves. Eastern European gangs, Eastern European women.

POC are more likely to be slaves. And they are less likely to be found by the police ....

It has absolutely nothing to do with black people or Caucasian people though. It's just stupid and people think it's progressive.

POC are more likely to be slaves. And they are less likely to be found by the police ....

That's not a racial thing. Holy Jesus.

This is only going one way. The more people cheer things on saying "Well how does it affect you?" as if these events exist in a vacuum, the more it will happen. There's a whitewashing of history and language to try and appease this loud minority of people who desperately try to be insulted by everything. Getting insulted by the terms master and slave when you are a highly-paid engineer in Twitter is a conscious decision. If you are that high in that field, you know it's not a racial thing.

And it is a slippery slope. As evidenced by people in this thread who never thought about this stuff before but now support the terms' removal. I can't believe we're living in a time where "whitelist" is problematic because it's a positive thing containing the word white.

Seriously, how can you not grasp such a simple fcuking element of this.

The word white is being removed because it implies that a white appearance is a more desirable physical attribute than other colours. Not because the very word itself is evil.

If some people put 10% of the time they put in to getting outraged in to understanding the root cause, it would be a lot less stressful for everyone.

Seriously, how can you not grasp such a simple fcuking element of this.

The word white is being removed because it implies that a white appearance is a more desirable physical attribute than other colours. Not because the very word itself is evil.

If some people put 10% of the time they put in to getting outraged in to understanding the root cause, it would be a lot less stressful for everyone.

Why is it wrong for a white appearance, ie. lighter skin, to be more desirable?

It has absolutely nothing to do with black people .

Hmmm maybe i could sell some to white people then.

Its idolatry.

Also it makes white guys in Asia think they have a chance ..i think that false hope is cruel.

I can't believe I have to spoon feed this to you.

Because it encourages those from other races to feel their appearance is inferior. That they are inferior.

Hmmm maybe i could sell some to white people then.

Its idolatry.

Also it makes white guys in Asia think they have a chance ..i think that false hope is cruel.

Completely and utterly clueless. It has nothing do with white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I walk past a sunbed shop most days and there was never a shortage of customers.(Prior to the lockdown).

It's about attaining a standard of beauty that one doesn't have, and giving Nivea your money to achieve that. If you are black you need to get more white, if you are white you need to get more black.

• Advertisement

I can't believe I have to spoon feed this to you.

Because it encourages those from other races to feel their appearance is inferior. That they are inferior.

And you tell me that I should do some research and find the root cause.

Dark skin is associated with working the fields. When my Asian students mock the kid with dark skin, it's about that. Light skin is seen as being a higher class in society.

If you think it has anything to do with race, you have simply no idea what on Earth you're talking about. Talk about being so up your own arse that you think Asian people using whitening cream do it to look like you.

Advertisement